Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:29 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Terrify people for what end? What is their agenda? What does someone have to gain from say, warming people of the documented dangers of ingesting fluoride, something that has been put in the water supply?
How is warning people of the dangers of fluoride different from warning parents of the dangers of guns?

Why would one group be considered to have a (negative) agenda and one not?

Both are attempting to alert the public to what they perceive to be dangers to the greater populace and yet one appears to be described as "astroturfing" and one not.

What are the criteria for determining which is which? Are they completely objective or is there inherent bias in the definition to begin with?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How is warning people of the dangers of fluoride different from warning parents of the dangers of guns?
One involves trying to convince the city to take fluoride out of the water supply. The other involves trying to take away or erode a constitutional right.

Quote:
Why would one group be considered to have a (negative) agenda and one not? Both are attempting to alert the public to what they perceive to be dangers to the greater populace and yet one appears to be described as "astroturfing" and one not. What are the criteria for determining which is which? Are they completely objective or is there inherent bias in the definition to begin with?
I would say the end goal. Who is funding it. What do they have to gain?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Your posts have seemed hostile, mainly blaming me for caring about this. If you'd like to discuss this without the hostility and actually consider the points without trying to make it personal, I'd be more then happy to do that. As of now, I really have no desire to talk to you.
I don't care that you care. We all have many things we care about. Is your position one of simply being mad that we do not have a unbiased media?

If so, O.K. but that isn't news. It's been that way for a long time. Ignore them or counter them.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't care that you care. We all have many things we care about. Is your position one of simply being mad that we do not have a unbiased media? If so, O.K. but that isn't news. It's been that way for a long time. Ignore them or counter them.
Then why do you keep posting here?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Why would one group be considered to have a (negative) agenda and one not?

Both are attempting to alert the public to what they perceive to be dangers to the greater populace and yet one appears to be described as "astroturfing" and one not.

What are the criteria for determining which is which? Are they completely objective or is there inherent bias in the definition to begin with?
I have to believe that the anti-gun groups comprise of far more moms than the anti-flouride groups.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Then why do you keep posting here?
Same reason as you I suppose. Well, not really. You seem to have some sort of bone to pick. I'm trying to figure out what it is.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Same reason as you I suppose. Well, not really. You seem to have some sort of bone to pick. I'm trying to figure out what it is.
Are you actively trying to derail this conversation and show us how the type of tactics that were mentioned in the op are used. Thanks for showing us it in action.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Are you actively trying to derail this conversation and show us how the type of tactics that were mentioned in the op are used. Thanks for showing us it in action.
Derail? I've tried to expand it. The media is biased is a two post thread that has been started many times.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
In chemistry, we call this, "plasticizer migration".

You may be arguing with a plasticizer.
I think you are right.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:52 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
This is a great talk given by Sharyl Attkisson, former investigative correspondent for CBS News, Washington DC, about how the manipulation of media messages via means such as social media.

Urban Dictionary: astroturfing
[/url]

What do you think, fellow City Data users? Any of this sound familiar?
Yep. MomsDemand/#GunSense is a great example of astroturfing.

Whenever the media is cued by Obama to promote a particular 'issue' (for example, the whole Redskins controversy that manufactured the right amount of media outrage and then just as suddenly disappeared) you know it's the usual Politics of Distraction at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies