Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It's funny how out of touch with the times boomers can be. You keep bringing up Vietnam. With all due respect to the Vietnam vets, I have deployed four times the amount of time the average veteran did from that era. I have four tours of duty to Iraq and Afghanistan under my belt. I respect their service, but I'm not exactly over awed by it.
I thank you for your service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
I think we can all agree that Boomers had it better than any generation of Americans. They had access to the best job market, lowest house prices, best opportunities for higher education at the lowest prices, etc. They didn't do anything to deserve the privilege they got, but they didn't ask for it either. They were just fortunate. [snip]
Yeah, right. Boomers had it easy all their lives.

Do you actually read any history or do you just watch TV?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-17-2015 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 PM

191 posts, read 172,004 times
Baby Boomers have barely tapped into entitlements. The "Silent Generation" which I will define as the 20 year period of 1928-1947 will take everything out of SS that they put in and at least 3x as much from Medicare as they put in. It wasn't Boomers that powered Republicans to victory but the "Silents". In 2010 the Silents along with the Greatest Generation voted Republican 59% to 41%. It was this overwhelming margin where Republicans ran to the left of democrats advocating more Medicare handouts that propelled Republicans to victory. At this point we really don't know how greedy the Boomer generation is in off year elections. We know the Silents are greedy...they always have been. They are the generation of Goldwater and the John Birch Society with a twist..."Keep Government Out of My Medicare".

Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
Baby Boomers have barely tapped into entitlements. The "Silent Generation" which I will define as the 20 year period of 1928-1947 will take everything out of SS that they put in and at least 3x as much from Medicare as they put in. It wasn't Boomers that powered Republicans to victory but the "Silents". In 2010 the Silents along with the Greatest Generation voted Republican 59% to 41%. It was this overwhelming margin where Republicans ran to the left of democrats advocating more Medicare handouts that propelled Republicans to victory. At this point we really don't know how greedy the Boomer generation is in off year elections. We know the Silents are greedy...they always have been. They are the generation of Goldwater and the John Birch Society with a twist..."Keep Government Out of My Medicare".
Boomers have been collecting SS for eight years -- eight years too many in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Boomers have been collecting SS for eight years -- eight years too many in my opinion.
Do you realize over half of boomers would slip into poverty if their SS were taken away from them. You ok with that?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Do you realize over half of boomers would slip into poverty if their SS were taken away from them. You ok with that?
I'd prefer them not to be in poverty, but the reality is that well over half of my generation and the generations that follow us will be in poverty when we're seniors. If boomers elected to share the wealth (which obviously they will never do) perhaps SS would be there for future generations.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
You are the first person to understand where I'm coming from. You must be an Xer. The fact of the matter is you and I will be the first generation to get significantly reduced benefits. I started this thread to pose the idea to Boomers that they do what we inevitably will have to do and they're whining and moaning and insulting my parents and war service. The very thought that they do what we'll have to do is outrageous to them. Funny -- not at all surprising ... just funny.
"The fact of the matter is you and I will be the first generation to get significantly reduced benefits.'

You do NOT know for certain if that is going to happen or not.

When many of us boomers were still working W. Bush tried to "fix" the SS system so what you "predict" does NOT happen and was rebuked by the dems.

I am NOT trying to makes this political but, politics does come into play.

Should they system be "fixed"? Damn right but, as they say it is the 3rd rail which many politicians, mostly dems, will NOT touch.

You would be surprised to find out how many of us boomers did NOT want to be part of the SS system tiu, had NO choice.

We do NOT want future generations to be "screwed" over, so your disdain for us is, IMO, very juvenile and won't do damn thing to help.

My suggestion to you and YOUR generation is to elect politicians who ARE FOR "fixing" the system and NOT on whining about us.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Send me a check for every dollar I put in plus the interest I could have made adjusted for inflation and I gladly will withdraw from the system I was FORCED to pay into.

Are YOU part of the "me" generation?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'd prefer them not to be in poverty, but the reality is that well over half of my generation and the generations that follow us will be in poverty when we're seniors. If boomers elected to share the wealth (which obviously they will never do) perhaps SS would be there for future generations.
" but the reality is that well over half of my generation and the generations that follow us will be in poverty when we're seniors"

How do you figure that? Haven't you ever heard of an IRA? Do you have a 401K where you work?

NOTHING and NOBODY is STOPPING YOU from investing in your own future.

If you fail to do so, it is NOBODY'S FAULT but your OWN.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Whaa.... Whaa... Whaa....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies