Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Twenty years? Assuming you went to work at 18 when you graduated high school that would make you pushing 40. And your still whining about Social Security, Boomers, and "old people?" Dude... your fixing to get a big ole wake up call in about 10 years. Bless your heart........
I'm not whining about "old people." I'm proposing those people who think Social Security is a Ponzi scheme should quit stealing my money to replace money that was stolen from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:39 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Who is this person who hasn't paid in? I've paid in for 20 years. I'll pay in for another 25 or so before I start collecting. By the time I start collecting though, it will probably not be there, so I'll be caught holding the bag. Why is that ok? But the thought of boomers being the ones caught is ridiculous?
From the original posting...
Quote:
They should give up Social Security. They should lead the charge to pass a bill that anyone born between the years of 1945 and 1965 should not get paid any Social Security benefits. This would save the program for their children and grandchildren, and for once, they wouldn't be acting like a swarm of locusts laying waste to America's wealth before it can be enjoyed by future generations.

I also think conservatives who hate big government should also choose to not get their benefits as a protest regardless of when they were born.
Why save SS if the system doesn't work?

Why would you b*tch about big government conservatives and then complain about a program that big government forced upon us and then mismanaged it so it becomes a burden on the wage earners. If you want big government, you got it.

Redistribution of wealth... it's not so great when it is your money being handed over to someone else.

As for who hasn't paid in... there are foreigners coming over every day. Many of these people are getting taxpayer-funded benefits. If we can't afford to honor the SS contract that we were forced into, to the people who have paid in for 45 years, why should we let foreigners come in and burden the taxpayers even more?

We need to get control of immigration and government waste.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
No, I'm not a troll. I am using satire to expose how selfish and greedy (criminally so) boomers are who a) think SS is a Ponzi scheme, and b) INSIST the government keep the looting going now that they are on the receiving end. Many commentators on this thread have whined that they had to pay in against their will, but now that it's time for them to get a monthly check those of us who are still paying better keep those checks coming.

If it's a Ponzi scheme, they were robbed. Their money is gone. The solution is not to rob me so they can recoup their losses. You see where I'm going with this now? And no, it has nothing to do with race. I don't even know how race would have anything to do with this. Working Americans and old Americans come in all flavors.
People need to get a more modern grip on the the true nature of a modern fiat money system.

It is only a Ponzi if let it be.

Federal taxes remitted are functionally cancelled money. This includes SS payroll taxes.

Any subsequent Federal spending is through new money creation.

People can be pissed that they have to pay taxes.

But SS can only stop if we the people or our elected officials vote to stop it.

It is not a question of tax money or any money when the Federal Gov't can create it.

It is a political question, not one specifically about money and/or its distribution.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
more money creation just means that high inflation will make the money paid out worthless or near worthless.
Much of that is based on when and where that new money goes. As in the $T's of new money the Fed has created the last few years, and without notable inflation.

But more typically new money creation in a weak economy can be very useful. Money creation of course would be needed to fight a serious war. Excessive money creation in an overheated economy with fuller employment is unnecessary and may well be inflationary. Today we do not yet have that scenario.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
social security was just another tax on the people. if is wasn't, then the money would have stayed in the social security trust fund and not put into the general fund by the democrats.

then the money would be at least worth something more than just pieces of paper with IOU's written on them.
This is the reason we have few sequestered Federal taxes. Our powers that be, know more about the true nature of our fiat. IOU's are the systemic essence.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have no problem with it.

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI

If you're in the bottom 20% of income earners, that's largely a result of your own bad life and financial decisions.

But if they'd prefer to reduce housing costs by living in a hovel, and then putting the cost savings into retirement investments, you raise the NIMBY banner.

So you criticize their 'decisions' while denying them the right to make financially enhancing decisions.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,272 times
Quote:
I'm not whining about "old people." I'm proposing those people who think Social Security is a Ponzi scheme should quit stealing my money to replace money that was stolen from them.
It's easy to ask the people in the layer right above you in a mandatory-participation Ponzi scheme to stop it.....not so easy to stop it yourself.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not only the top 1% who lose on SS. It's everyone except the low-income earners according to the SSA:

Social Security is a LOSING deal for most workers - AP

Everyone who dies early loses on SS, and the lowest earners are disproportionally represented in that group. Black men as a group also lose on SS, their life expectancy is around 65-66.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
It's easy to ask the people in the layer right above you in a mandatory-participation Ponzi scheme to stop it.....not so easy to stop it yourself.
Oh totally. I just hope those who think SS is a Ponzi scheme who are still happily cashing their checks acknowledge they are immoral, greedy criminals who should be thrown in jail for their thievery.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:25 AM

Social Security no longer sends out checks. The Federal Gov't simply increases the dollar number in the recipients bank account by the specified amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies