Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,345,315 times

Advertisements

It is amazing how we are letting our leaders and our selves off the hook when they spent 2 trillion dollars from the social security trust fund. And the the leaders were rewarded by being returned to office, which makes it self inflicted. Now that it is running in the red here we are fighting over who gets what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,588,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
It is amazing how we are letting our leaders and our selves off the hook when they spent 2 trillion dollars from the social security trust fund. And the the leaders were rewarded by being returned to office, which makes it self inflicted. Now that it is running in the red here we are fighting over who gets what.
Oh I'm well aware that in the 80s Boomers decided a great way to finance the Reagan tax cuts while not cutting back on any government spending was to raid the SS trust fund. That's one of the reasons I think they should forgo their benefits. They've already gotten theirs.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,599,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
They should give up Social Security.
What do you think? Good idea?
OK, sure, I'll give it up.

Now, who is going to support me?

I am retiring this year and will need food and shelter. Since I am nothing but a locust, I suppose I won't need much to eat (being so small, and all).

Social Security will be my only income besides my savings, which are not enough to last me until death.

Anyone?

As for the rest of your post...very untrue and typical whining from the peanut gallery.

What you are essentially saying is I should give up what I earned so YOU can have it!

Nice try.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM

3,611 posts, read 3,860,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's because a big part of it is INSURANCE and not a retirement plan.

Grumbling about that is kinda like whining to your co-worker about how lucky he was to have his house burn down because you've never collected on your homeowners policy and it's been a losing deal.

So yes, the big "winners" from SS are those who had things happen like going blind at a younger age or having one or both of your parents die while you are still young, or born with mental retardation lucky dogs!....that sort of thing. Others pay in more than they receive because a small amount like in these cases take out more than they pay in. Simple.
No-one (or at least very few people) grumbles about not being able to make a claim on the insurance policy they voluntarily bought at a price relative to their risk that was acceptable to them.

On the flip side, being forced to buy "insurance" you would not have elected yourself if you weren't at the point of the government's proverbial gun at a rate that you know going in is pennies on the dollar absolutely sucks.

It's disingenuous to try to conflate the two. Although of course you are correct that social security is in no way a proper retirement plan, it's also in no way a proper insurance plan either.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM

88,613 posts, read 44,334,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
It will happen.
Not when it's heavily publicized that most people will lose even more money on SS than they already do.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,588,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
OK, sure, I'll give it up.

Now, who is going to support me?

I am retiring this year and will need food and shelter. Since I am nothing but a locust, I suppose I won't need much to eat (being so small, and all).

Social Security will be my only income besides my savings, which are not enough to last me until death.

Anyone?

As for the rest of your post...very untrue and typical whining from the peanut gallery.

What you are essentially saying is I should give up what I earned so YOU can have it!

Nice try.
Fox, please accept my apologies. I was trying to use satire to drive a discussion about the unfairness of not fixing SS for future generations. As it stands, it is unfair for those who won't be retiring for decades to come. We should fix it. That said, I don't think you should starve in your old age. I hope your entitlement and your savings are large enough for you to be comfortable for years to come.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,345,315 times
Quote:
Oh I'm well aware that in the 80s Boomers decided a great way to finance the Reagan tax cuts while not cutting back on any government spending was to raid the SS trust fund. That's one of the reasons I think they should forgo their benefits. They've already gotten theirs.
LOL like Reagan was the only one to raid the trust fund.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM

10,807 posts, read 14,870,641 times
Quote:
If you got a problem with the Reagan tax cuts you gotta really hate John F. Kennedy and his tax cuts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdXrfIMdiU

And you know what? It worked!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Act_of_1964

And any idiot that thinks Reagan was bad I can tell wasn't alive in 1980 under the wonderfulness of the nitwit Jimmy Carter.

Now go out and earn money for your own food and stop asking for handouts.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,690,831 times
Quote:
I have paid into social security my whole life too, but the money will be used by boomers by the time I can draw benefits. For once, just once, I'd like Boomers not to ruin something for future generations. I know this goes against their grain, but I think they should show some leadership on this.
Well boomers have contributed to the folks now living the life in the bingo halls. The boomers also sacrificed their fellow sisters and brothers to several wars, one in which claimed over 50,000...removing themselves from the benefits section so to speak,,,to keep your arse free to complain about doing your part for society.

Not all boomers have seen the large bankroll, the later boomers missed the jobs explosions and the real estate boom that boomers a decade older saw. You don't know much history or you would realize we have seen many economic downturns in our lifetime. My spouse and I have ridden several recessions that hurt us in our industry, yet we climbed back up on the horse. Taxes we have paid dearly for those who have less. I am personally tired of people like you who feel you deserve a good life over anyone else. I think it is your type that ruins this country. Just what have you contributed?
We have paid into Social Security and Medicare only to be threatened by parasites to take it away.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:10 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,413,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not when it's heavily publicized that most people will lose even more money on SS than they already do.
As a liberal I can only hope Republicans follow along this path. Trying to seriously change the benefits portion of social security has consistently proven to be a political loser where as the tax side has been going up with little note for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies