Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think there is much of an argument against the Iraq War being a mistake. But if memory serves me right, there was a lot of popular support for the war when it began. I'm curious what people's thinking at the time was that would render such a war beneficial in some way.
*We were in post-9/11 world. Big fear was that next attack would involve WMD. Although no one, including Bush, claimed Hussein had anything to do with 9/11, he had known contacts with terrorist groups and was quite antagonistic towards the US. He had documented efforts to obtain material, including yellow cake uranium.

*Saddam had WMD and had used him on his own people, the kurds, years before. It was just 1998 when President Bill Clinton made a very persuasive and impassioned case for military action against Hussein for failing to prove to the UN that he dismantled his WMD programs.

*His repeated failures to comply with UN resolutions, inspections, etc.

*the belief that the Iraqi people would welcome the opportunity to be free of a brutal dictator and would become a stable, non-threatening country that would if not be a true democracy, at least be something that would recognize basic human rights and really be an example to the rest of the Muslim world.

These certainly were my beliefs. In hindsight, now having studied both the muslim world and Islam itself, the last point was completely wrong. Islam is incompatible with anything resembling western civilization. I think Bush and our other leaders were naive to think otherwise and they should have known better.

Remember, the original toppling of Hussein was a military success. But now I too believe it was a mistake. Not for the reasons the leftists say or people like Hillary and Kerry said after they saw an opportunity to turn it into a political issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think there is much of an argument against the Iraq War being a mistake. But if memory serves me right, there was a lot of popular support for the war when it began. I'm curious what people's thinking at the time was that would render such a war beneficial in some way.
Mistake according to whom? Liberals? The anti-war crowd? How was it a mistake?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
You said it, hindsight being 20/20...

Let's not forget that

Seventy-Two Percent of Americans Support War Against Iraq

Bush approval up 13 points to 71%

Seventy-Two Percent of Americans Support War Against Iraq

according to an article written in year 2003

I've never felt happy that my friends got deployed, but I thought Iraq had something to do with 911.

I soon realized the war was a mistake.

In May 2007, the New York Times and CBS News released similar results of a poll in which 61% of participants believed the U.S. "should have stayed out" of Iraq.

Now year 2015, I hate this war with a passion. we should stay away from ME, what a hell hole that place is!!!! Let them kill each other and we stay the hell out!!!! Please.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I am politically independent and was originally very much against invading Iraq, but wanted to give both sides equal
Attention.

I got caught up in all the fear mongering around WMDs. The intelligence was coming from a lot of countries.

Then even Thomas Friedman, who is usually very liberal, wrote what the amazing benefits would be if democracy broke out in the ME, and this could be its chance.

Then the Dems in Congress voted for it.

I trusted and respected Colin Powell.

The final nudge was Bill Clinton saying that GW was making the right decision.

By two days after we invaded, I knew it was a terrible mistake.

As much as I am sickened by what liberals have done to our country, I am now too afraid to vote for a Republican be cause they are too gun-ho to get us involved in more ME wars.
I didn't vote for the first time in the last election.
I see the sacrifices our brave men and women in the military are making, and it can't stand to see one more life given or limb amputated, or veteran suicide for some Muslim country that hates us anyway.
We should focus on protecting America, and let the ME sort it out themselves.

Last edited by mountainrose; 02-17-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Mistake according to whom? Liberals? The anti-war crowd?
According to everyone but those who believe what they're told to believe by right-wing scum regardless of facts or reality.

Quote:
How was it a mistake?
Remember how Republican scum said Iraq had to be invaded because it posed a threat? Remember how it didn't? That's how it's a mistake. Hope that helps.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
The evidence suggests that they weren't lies. It was faulty intelligence. Intel isn't ever 100% accurate. If it were...it wouldn't be intel...it would just be common knowledge. If you sincerely think that Bush, Cheney, Powell, and Rumsfeld sat together in a room and said to themselves, "Hey...what can we make up to go to war," then you've swallowed the liberal hogwash harder than most.

Not many people still support the justification for going to war in Iraq, but it was a mixture of faulty intelligence and a bloodlust post 9/11...That was their rationale...That was my rationale...and that is probably the concensus.
You are the one that swallowed the hogwash. Bush, Cheney, Powell, and Rumsfeld sat together in a room and said to themselves, "Hey...what can we make up to go to war, as there also was the executives from the major oil companies there. They met right after the first election of bush jr. This is when they started dividing the pie.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It has been reported that from a military standpoint, the US won most major battles in VN. It did not however win the war. South VN fell.

The escalating loss of US lives and costs eventually made sustaining the war politically a non-starter.
Today, VN remains a one party Communist state and has one of the fastest growing economies in SE Asia.
The TET offensive was North Viet Nam's Last big push to regain control of the war.

We WON EVERY battle but, Walter Cronkite, "The most trusted name in news", went on TV and LIED by declaring. "We have LOST the war".

This turned the tide for the majority of the American people AGAINST the war.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think the mistake was Obama plan to leave; we left and ISIS filled the vacuum. I can well remember liberals then saying we shouldn't go because we would lose 20K+ troops invading because of chemical weapons. Even UN said when they had to left they had not gotten all the WMD's. Then they said Afganistan was the terrorist target; wrong again as Iraq has the resources need to support them as we have seen. No wander no one wants to follow Obama's lead.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:58 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The intelligence was faulty because it was purposefully distorted.
" because it was purposefully distorted"

Yet it was the SAME intel Clinton and the dems in Congress had BEFORE Bush ever APPEARED on the scene.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:58 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The lies that Bush, Cheney, Powell etc told us is why i supported it.
Well they fooled about 40 countries, hillary Clinton and a host of dems. Other countries agencies agreed with the intel. As GWB is not a king, it took world opinion derived from independant data to form a coalition that thought the war was a good idea.

Sadam had used chemical weapons on the Iranians and his own people. His bro in law was nicknamed Chemical Ali.

So how do conclude that you were lied to.

Is HRC so darn dumb that she was 'tricked' into voting, YES. Wouldn't want her as president.

I suppose you supported obamacare and now regret you did so based on lies told by obama and the dems who approved obabacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies