Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:30 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You qualify for a position in this current administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ohhhh personal attacks in order to what? Make a point? Or?
dang. how low has an administration sunk when saying that someone qualilfies for a position in it is thought to constitute a 'personal attack'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Well first you have to specify which "brand of Muslim" you think ISIS is. And what "brand of Muslim" even means.

I'll assume you meant Sunni, and I would respond with: Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan. Kazakstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Jordan, Turkey, Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia.

In fact over 60% of Muslims live in Asia, and while they have some problems, they are minimal outside of Pakistan. We're talking about a subset of a subset.
No, I mean the "brand" that believes they must spread their faith by the sword and eradicate "infidels."

Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
No, I mean the "brand" that believes they must spread their faith by the sword and eradicate "infidels."
Then what exactly are you asking? The ones that believe that are probably violent. The ones that don't are the 99.9% of the rest of all Muslims.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
State Department spokeswoman floats jobs as answer to ISIS | Fox News

Long video but important. A lot of information in this video.
She is pointing out the obvious. Do you think the ISIS fighters are leaving highly paid jobs to join ISIS? No, they join because they get paid. Some have other motivations, like adventure, or religious fanatism, but most would stay home if they were happy there. This is the same discussion people had 10 years ago, when foreign fighters were pouring into Iraq to join Al Qaeda. They said they would not come if they had opportunities at home. It's obvious. Not much we can do about it though.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:45 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Obama pontificating now. Hopes to solve today's terrorism by advocating that the world become more Disneylike in the far distant future.

Problem solved!!!

Where is that nobel preace prize? Obama needs another for this historic speech motivating the world and achieving peace.....if only in his mind.

He doesn't know where the next terrorist will come from.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:45 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Then what exactly are you asking? The ones that believe that are probably violent. The ones that don't are the 99.9% of the rest of all Muslims.
Agreed. I was saying they are violent because they believe that and where you find people that believe that, they are violent. I was saying there are plenty of poor people (Muslim or otherwise) that don't believe that and are not violent, but those with this belief tend to be violent as a result.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Okay, so when it's the poor Muslim's of this sect doing it, it's because they're poor, and when it's not the poor, it's just because they're the worst? We can't consider the common thread that's running through the wealthy and the poor doing the same thing?

I can show plenty of places full of poor people not acting this way. Can you show me groups full of people with the same religious beliefs that aren't - not Muslim, this brand of Muslim?
As Grsz11 says "What brand of Muslim are you referring to"?
Are these folks radical? Of course they are. That's one of the things economic desperation does is RADICALIZE PEOPLE. That's what happened with the German people when they were desperate too. It especially happens with the leadership (though there ARE leaders who may not even necessarily BE "true believers" - just USERS of "true believers") but it's also true of the followers.

Plenty of decent Muslims out there who are not radicalized. A recent poll found that just 3% of Egyptians had a favorable view of ISIS - even if they don't particularly like the U.S. Even in Saudi Arabia - the nation with the most popular support of ISIS - that number was only about 5%. Again, this doesn't mean they like the U.S. or support the U.S. being in the Middle East, but they certainly don't like ISIS - even if they share many of the economic frustrations that the ISIS fighters do.

Keep in mind though that even with those small percentages, it represents a LOT of potential fighters.

As the State Dept spokeswoman said, the REAL answer is not really beating ISIS in COMBAT - because the basic root problem will still be there - it's getting rid of the grinding poverty that affects so much of the region. Now, mind you I am NOT saying "it's OUR responsibility to do that" - just that THAT is the ultimate (and only REAL) solution to the problem. I know that many folks here disagree with the spokeswomans' assessment, but the fact is SHE IS RIGHT. This is NOT an easy problem to fix. It's not like simply defeating a nation on the battlefield. This is a war of IDEAS and a battle against endemic and systemic poverty. Such struggles can be far longer and far more costly so the problem is not going away anytime soon.

Ken

Old 02-18-2015, 02:50 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As the State Dept spokeswoman said, the REAL answer is not really beating ISIS in COMBAT - because the basic root problem will still be there - it's getting rid of the grinding poverty that affects so much of the region.

Ken
So now the liberals are for rebuilding economies?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:52 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
Agreed. I was saying they are violent because they believe that and where you find people that believe that, they are violent. I was saying there are plenty of poor people (Muslim or otherwise) that don't believe that and are not violent, but those with this belief tend to be violent as a result.
Its a cause and effect. Certain groups are susceptible to radicalization in any religion. So its not that poor = terrorist, but that poor opens the door for radical which can lead to terrorist.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Obama pontificating now. Hopes to solve today's terrorism by advocating that the world become more Disneylike in the far distant future.

Problem solved!!!

Where is that nobel preace prize? Obama needs another for this historic speech motivating the world and achieving peace.....if only in his mind.

He doesn't know where the next terrorist will come from.
next thing you know they'll be touting midnight basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies