Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Show us when the GOP refused to fund infrastructure.
"Republicans in the Senate Thursday dealt President Obama the third in a string of defeats on his stimulus-style jobs agenda, blocking a $60 billion measure for building and repairing infrastructure like roads and rail lines."

Senate GOP Blocks Obama's $60 Billion Infrastructure Plan | Fox News

OP, I agree that there are things that people could be doing. How skilled does one need to be to apply paint or hammer nails, for instance?
Apprenticeships and on-the-job training used to be sure paths to living wages.

We have people constantly decrying all of the jobs stolen by illegals particularly in the construction trades.
Were those folks born knowing how to apply roof tar? I don't think so.

How did they acquire their skills?

Why were/are people willing to give them work but scoff at the idea of replacing them with unemployed Americans?

We are our own worst enemies sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What does this have to do with why the GOP-controlled Congress refuses to fund infrastructure?
let's, the current Congress has only been around for what about a month and have passed MORE bills then the last congress did all last year.

The DEMS controlled the Senate for what 8 years and the house for 2 years and the White House for 6 years.

Please, PLEASE show us their GREAT infrastructure accomplishments.

Before we can talk about infrastructure, FIRST YOU have to detail what YOU mean by infrastructure.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm sure you've seen the threads where they're called "leeches on society" and "the government should make them work." The cold hard fact is that people - some people, rather - demand that they "work for the money" and yet, when you offer solutions, they cry, "But they would ruin it! They're not good enough for the job!"

That's the hilarious part.
I have two other threads in this series, by the way.
A quick fix for those on unemployment or welfare: Jury duty.
A quick fix for the jobless and those on welfare: National childcare facility worker
I absolutely agree with your proposal and have been spouting the same for the last 3 decades.

I guarantee I have jobs that the unskilled could do and learn something in the process. It does require digging in the rain and 100 degree weather, getting dirty and tired. All for a wage 2 dollars above minimum starting.

I've had Four people in the last two years come off of welfare give it a shot. Only one survived and didn't quit. He is now a crew leader making 15 an hour and went back to night school to get his BS.

The problem in this country is laziness and attitude.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6000 View Post
Too bad the OP's idea would be counter to the 13th Amendment of the US Constitution.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
oh please save your dramatics for the soap opera forum.

Get off your ass and get to work for some of that government money.

Yeah that's slavery.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Fix for welfare is this.

Stop giving it to able bodied working age adults and anyone who isn't a citizen. And it's not the government's responsibility to find them a job or send them to school.

Problem solved.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Fix for welfare is this.

Stop giving it to able bodied working age adults and anyone who isn't a citizen. And it's not the government's responsibility to find them a job or send them to school.

Problem solved.
Undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law, even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years.

Well, that was an easy problem solved.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Every construction site has people who stand around holding signs like "SLOW" or "STOP". Don't need any skills to do that job. Or the landscaping that comes with many projects. Digging holes or moving dirt doesn't require skill either. Many of the jobs do, but there are always some that do not. Why not put people to work if we can?

I agree... but believe it or not.. we had a "welfare queen" working for us once who even screwed up the flagging. She didn't realize she couldn't walk-off and answer her cell phone when she wanted. Thank God the operator and another laborer noticed she was gone before the car barreling through got hit by a D-8.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
It's time for those on welfare and those living on unemployment to get to work supporting the America that supports them. An easy fix would be to give them jobs rebuilding America's infrastructure.
BERNIE SANDERS: America's aging infrastructure slowing on neconomic growth - Washington Times
(That link asks you to answer two survey questions. I just random clicked it to see the article)

I don't know about you, but when I drive over that bridge or ride down that highway, I'd feel a warm sense of pride knowing that a former welfare queen was out there with her hard hat on, working for America and rebuilding our core infrastructure.

The sad truth is that the American Society of Civil Engineers gives the United States of America an overall grade of D-plus on the condition of our infrastructure. That doesn’t just mean roads and bridges. It also means airports, dams, drinking water, electrical grids, hazardous waste, inland waterways, levees, mass transit, ports, public parks, rail lines, schools, and solid waste and wastewater management. Only one of the 16 categories evaluated earned as high as a B-minus (solid waste), and just four others finished in the C range (bridges, ports, public parks and rail).
While unemployment has been falling, it is still much too high. In fact, as of December 2014, a shocking 17 million Americans were either without jobs, only marginally attached to the labor force, settling for part-time work when they wanted full-time jobs, or had become so discouraged by their prospects that they had left the workforce entirely. The economists are clear in telling us that the fastest way to create good-paying jobs is to rebuild our infrastructure. Let’s do it.

The best part of the plan is that those who are on any sort of welfare/Social Security/unemployment are ALREADY GETTING PAID, so that's just less money we'll need to pony up to get those slackers back fixing our electrical grids, drinking water facilities and dams.

You might think, "Welfare check gang bangers and/or Grandma working on my dam?" "Together?" and you'd be right! Get to work, welfare nation!

See? So simple!

The stimulus package and shovel ready jobs took care of everything. In fact, it has been so successful, Obama plans to implement the same program for isis, giving them the jobs they so badly need.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law, even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years.

Well, that was an easy problem solved.
USDA to Mexico: Illegal immigrants can have food stamps

USDA to Mexico: Illegal immigrants can have food stamps | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6000 View Post
Too bad the OP's idea would be counter to the 13th Amendment of the US Constitution.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
Most Government Housing entities already require Volunteer work to continue to live in them, so are they violating the Constitution ???

im not being condescending,im honestly asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies