Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Distracted driving isn't enforced because it can't. I've seen drivers (as a passenger mind you) eat cereal or read the news paper while driving as well as on the phone or reading the phone and not get caught. The law isn't enforced at all. The issue is I see about 20 cell phone per every non cell phone distracted driver. I am all for people's rights but you have to remember operating a vehicle is your number one priority. Unless your job highly needs you to answer the phone, don't worry about it. When driving, I put mine on silent and no vibrate. Is that so hard for others to do? Common sense folks. If more people used it, many laws wouldn't need to exist or could be repealed (Missouri River steam ship racing law fir instance.)
Not so. I found this tidbit without looking that hard: Arizona DPS made 19,800 stops for distracted driving through the first 9 months of 2014. So they can enforce distracted driving. But the no cell phone law is more important than that as it influences attitudes. Drivers get used to the idea that texting and driving is "illegal" and give it up or choose hands free alternatives as a matter of routine. There is no excusing one self by rationalizing that "I am OK, I am not distracted". The very act is the sin. We change our behavior in a positive way. AZ needs to get with the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Do we also need separate laws for reading the newspaper while driving, changing clothes while driving, applying makeup while driving, playing gameboy while driving, watching football on your phone while driving or receiving oral sex while driving?
Do you honestly believe that ANY of those examples happen as often as texting and driving? You could add all those up, times them by 1000 and still wouldnt be anywhere near the number of people who text and drive.

Speaking of idiots who use their phones and drive, I'd rather encounter a drunk driver than someone texting. Atleast the drunk is looking or atleast trying to look at the road. Or if he's passed out and still moving, then he'd be level with someone texting.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
I almost got t-boned last week by an oblivious women texting while blowing a red light. She never looked up and just kept on going.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not so. I found this tidbit without looking that hard: Arizona DPS made 19,800 stops for distracted driving through the first 9 months of 2014. So they can enforce distracted driving. But the no cell phone law is more important than that as it influences attitudes. Drivers get used to the idea that texting and driving is "illegal" and give it up or choose hands free alternatives as a matter of routine. There is no excusing one self by rationalizing that "I am OK, I am not distracted". The very act is the sin. We change our behavior in a positive way. AZ needs to get with the program.
Yeah, I tried finding figures but only got a study that showed around 1,000 stops for distracted driving. The issue is as I and others (yourself included) mentioned the behavior is much more common than most garden variety distracted driving accidents and also much more carnage produced. I agree entirely and as I said, these behaviors SHOULD be common sense but as I said the idiot who lack it at the least have momentarily lack common sense are the ones who has laws are created. People should know better than flicking cigarette butts into the forest but they still do it and it is illegal, especially if it starts a wildfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Do you honestly believe that ANY of those examples happen as often as texting and driving? You could add all those up, times them by 1000 and still wouldnt be anywhere near the number of people who text and drive.
I don't. Sure you have that happen but as I said it is rare to see someone eat cereal for breakfast while driving, I saw that once compared to four to five people on the cell phone a trip for whatever whether work or supermarkets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I almost got t-boned last week by an oblivious women texting while blowing a red light. She never looked up and just kept on going.
Yeah that is victimless? Short quick stops even without wrecking can cause injury or a fender bender because the person behind you couldn't stop in time.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Yeah, I tried finding figures but only got a study that showed around 1,000 stops for distracted driving. The issue is as I and others (yourself included) mentioned the behavior is much more common than most garden variety distracted driving accidents and also much more carnage produced. I agree entirely and as I said, these behaviors SHOULD be common sense but as I said the idiot who lack it at the least have momentarily lack common sense are the ones who has laws are created. People should know better than flicking cigarette butts into the forest but they still do it and it is illegal, especially if it starts a wildfire.

I don't. Sure you have that happen but as I said it is rare to see someone eat cereal for breakfast while driving, I saw that once compared to four to five people on the cell phone a trip for whatever whether work or supermarkets.

Yeah that is victimless? Short quick stops even without wrecking can cause injury or a fender bender because the person behind you couldn't stop in time.
yes.

Victim-a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
synonyms: sufferer, injured party, casualty;

No victim, no crime.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
yes.

Victim-a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
synonyms: sufferer, injured party, casualty;

No victim, no crime.
I think you didn't read the full comment, I'll repeat and underline the part where there becomes an injured party.

Quote:
Sorry but to me, a person nearly getting T-Boned because they looking down at the cell phone breaks the Non-Aggressive Principle (if I believed in that) because of the potential of injury from the action.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Do we also need separate laws for reading the newspaper while driving, changing clothes while driving, applying makeup while driving, playing gameboy while driving, watching football on your phone while driving or receiving oral sex while driving?
No--just one law--no hand held cell phones. Very easy. Florida legislature is also full of idiots who refuse to make cell phone use illegal. They just passed a law that you can cite someone for texting while driving as a secondary offense. I'm hoping one of those idiots in the legislature gets t-boned by someone who is talking or texting. I am dodging these weaving morons who cannot stay in one lane all day, and I am sick to death of the moronic Fla legislature who refuses to use any common sense whatsoever.

We also have idiots who insist on driving slower in the passing lane, and the Fla government refuses to make a law that the left lane (on the interstate) is a passing lane. This causes numerous road rage incidents and accidents, but when Jeb was governor, he said it wasn't 'fair' to punish people for going under the speed limit in the passing lane. Sorry, but commons sense needs to reign sometimes and in this case ignoring common sense causes accidents, injuries and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies