Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 04:15 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
And in the 1920's many African Americans had their land stolen from them. ex.ex.
The Case for Reparations - The Atlantic

Don't the living relatives of those African Americans have the right to their relatives stolen property?

Its strange how when a US citizens finds a sunken treasure ship that is 100's of years old, the US citizen by law must return a portion of the ships valuables to the ships country of origin. But when African Americans from the 1920's (and much later) have their property stolen, most people say to their relitives "get over it, stop whining, we don't owe you nothing."

So when a Europeans property that is 100's of years old is found by US citizens, US law says a portion of that property must be returned. But when a black person is involved there is no law to return the property, instead the black person gets attacked and is told to get over it.
Good points, agree with you !!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:40 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Pay up whitey!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
If the reasoning in the posts above regarding generational accumulation is true, then a significant percentage of the descendants of the folks before the American Revolution should be affluent. But of course, that is not the case which entirely and utterly demolishes that premise. Existing Wealth falls due to numerous factors-change in economic patters, war, poor investments, ownership disputes & division, etc.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am just talking about how whites used race, militarism, colonization, slavery and the like to lift up the masses of white people at the expense of non-whites.
That's still happening via Democrats who won't allow vouchers and therefore keep Black kids trapped in horrible public schools.

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

That in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Black students.

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools and therefore ensuring they're kept dumb, poor, and therefore voting for Democrats for life/generations?

In what world is voting for the party that adamantly opposes school vouchers and keeps Black kids trapped in underperforming public schools, acceptable?

2/3 of Black adults support school vouchers, but then largely vote Democrat anyway, extinguishing any chance their own children would have to get a better education and therefore more and better economic equality opportunities. Blacks continuously overwhelmingly voting Democrat is insanely self-destructive, and I will NEVER understand why they continue to vote for their economic oppressors. /SMH

Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I wish black people gain some self respect and stop acting like victims all the time.

It's pathetic.
Democrats have them well-trained, no? They willingly submit to their own oppression, as I've shown in my previous post about how abysmally public schools are educating Black students.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Just noise plus it's directed at his base and nobody else. Redistricting made his district less black and more Hispanic, with a lot of new turf he's never previously represented. Last time he narrowly survived a primary challenge by a Hispanic from the new part of his district. He wants to motivate his base for a better turnout next year.
Crazy because Rangel IS a "Hispanic".

Old 02-20-2015, 06:26 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
If the reasoning in the posts above regarding generational accumulation is true, then a significant percentage of the descendants of the folks before the American Revolution should be affluent. But of course, that is not the case which entirely and utterly demolishes that premise. Existing Wealth falls due to numerous factors-change in economic patters, war, poor investments, ownership disputes & division, etc.
Where is the specific data on that Demographic kept....given that you know that it is not the case. I would like to review it for myself

Old 02-20-2015, 07:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
True. But the same can be said about those who insist on generational accumulation. One could view the Census records for 1790 and each decade to extrapolate. The problem being I think except for those with an agenda no one is foolish enough to believe a comprehensive or substantial generational accumulation has actually occurred. Note it is not it did not occur among families already wealthy and who have managed to maintain or grow their status from the 18th-19th century but what would be considered the majority of the property holding yeoman class this did not occur.

I think if one looks at the example of Thomas Jefferson's descendants one sees what I refer to.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:25 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
He does have a lot of Dominicans in his district, for
some reason I had the impression the new district picked up Espaillat and a lot
of Puerto Ricans (apparently, no and not many). Since I know Espaillat has a
base in his State Senate district, and I now know he is Dominican, he must be in
Manhattan (which is where Dominicans cluster in NYC) and must have been in
Rangel's district for some years.
Yes, I think Espaillat's base is Washington Heights and south and east (into the Bronx). Now Rangel's district includes Washington Heights and other Dominican strongholds as well.
Quote:
Rangel can at least play up his Puerto Rican roots in the Bronx but
that might not be sufficient. Besides, isn't it time for him to
retire?
He actually said after beating Espaillat that this would be his last term. But yeah, I remember his battles years ago with Adam Clayton Powell IV (also half Puerto Rican). Powell would emphasize his PR roots and Rangel would emphasize his AA roots. Funny, funny positioning and juxtapositioning there.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am cool with that. Lets make everyone who was involved pay. The African Tribes who warred for captives to sell to Europeans, to the countries and people who profited from the slave trade, up to and including AMERICA.

Is that fair enough
Good luck with that! And let me know if you can find anyone still alive who was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies