Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Patently avoiding the example of Jefferson's descendants because they do not fit the hypothesis is poor research.
Generational wealth most often benefits children and grandchildren of a particular descendant.I am sure many of Jefferson's descendants at some point in time owned a home that was more valuable than the majority of a black individuals home. His (white) descendants were also allowed to live in whatever area they wanted to live in, which would have given them more of a opportunity for economic advancement. Which brings me to the link it looks like you ignored.

From the link:

Quote:
Essentially, this resulted in the social construction of racialized space - a space in which whites lived in the suburbs, Blacks lived in the inner city. Furthermore they created these differences, these vast differences in wealth. If you look at the 1994 survey of income and program participation, you can see that a homeowner that purchased a Levittown type home in 1950 for about $5,000 now has about $300,000 in home equity. That's an investment that has grown tremendously over time. An African American family that did not have an opportunity to buy that home, according to the same survey, or who had to purchase a home in the inner city, has substantially less wealth. So that's how you start to see how this huge gap between white and Black wealth was created.
This is about modern history and the FHA program - a government sanctioned program that allowed whites to more easily buy homes in the suburbs. These homes increased in wealth greatly. Even though there were some blacks who could afford suburban homes, they were denied the opportunity to buy them in the 1950s-1970s (in some areas) and therefore, could not benefit from generational wealth accumulated through equity.

All of these things are common knowledge to those who don't seek to deny the fact that our country supported and instituted programs and laws that systematically denied black Americans the exist in the US on equal footing with white Americans.

To further expound on this, in 1950 a 2nd-3rd generation Irish or Polish immigrant would have been able to buy a home with the FHA program in any suburb they wanted. A 10th generation black American couldn't. The kids of the Irish or Polish family would automatically start off with a leg up economically because of those laws and programs and especially because our country now saw them as "white."

Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Ok. Modern history. Then slavery reparations are not the issue. And we are basing our decision on an online PBS teaching plan for middleschoolers.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-20-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
“But that restitution could be the ability to say that we’re going to make certain that people of color in this country would be able to have access to the same type of education, live where they want to live, compete against anybody for the job, and not feeling that they’re inferior because people have been taught that just because they have a different complexion that they are superior.”

I do not see an insane plan to punish me in that quote.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I hate to tell you guys but there are blacks that STRONGLY believe in reparations. They said they would fight till they die for it. I'm black myself and I made a comment on FB about how reparations were dumb and boy, why did I open that can of worms. I mentioned things like how would one qualify for this reparation? Would new taxes be required? Would only whites pay this "reparation tax"? What if my parents were inter-racial? Would I only get half? What if my ancestors actually owned slaves? Would I have to pay the new tax? I was then sent some articles to read on how reparations were given to other races and it worked. Am I waiting on reparations? No. I went ahead and got an Engineering degree instead. But if they do come, drinks on me.
I love this!!!! LOL That'll show them horrible white people. Go and get your engineering degree and out earn them. On a serious note, there are so many black folks that are doing the same as you and that is great. Just be careful though or you'll be accused of not "being black enough" if you haven't already.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So if a person with light skin can prove genealogically that they have a slave ancestor, would that person get reparations?

And if not, how would it be determined how much melanin content in your skin is adequate to cause someone to be qualified to receive reparations under your approach?

That's what I'm wondering too. I am as white as the winter snow but I have black ancestors so do I get reparations too? Sign me up and I'll buy the next round. Seriously, I don't agree with the idea of reparations even if I would qualify for it and all of my black friends and family that I've talked about this topic with feel the same way.

Everyone on this planet has experienced some sort of oppression and/or discrimination so should we hand out reparations to everyone who has ever been wronged?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
... Rather, society believes that these gaps are caused by flaws endemic to the black race and or culture, relative to the white race and or culture. ....
Relative?

What part of Western Civilization did Black "culture" create? The language? The math? Democracy? The economic system? The legal system? Ship Building/Global navigation? Industrialization, etc.

If you are going to divine it down to dollars and cents based on an equivalence fallacy, then you better be ready to prove, in detail, the $ worth of those contributions, if any, to the society being asked to pay. Otherwise it's is nothing but fallacy.

I don't expect a serious answer however because this entire nonsense from Charlie Rangel is nothing more than that to inflame people such as yourself. My advice, you are wasting your time because reparations are never going to happen.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
It won't change anything to the issue , reparation has to happen one way or another , if not they will never be any justice for the black people in this country
Oh for God's sake Scobby give it a rest. Reparations has ALREADY happened when things like Affirmative Action, The Negro College Fund and all of those other social programs that were designed to take care of the "oppressed".

Hell, if anything, the roles are reversed and the white folks are being oppressed now. We can't open our mouths about ANYTHING without somebody finding some way to turn it into a race thing. You hear black folks calling whites cracker all day long and there is no outrage at all. Let a white person say the N word and every liberal news station on the planet is reporting on it, Al and Jesse are in the streets rallying up protests, people's careers are over, and on and on. There is no freedom of speech for whitey anymore. Can't even say things like "I don't like Obama" because you'll be called a racist. It couldn't possibly be that many folks of all colors do not like his policies so it must be racist.

I tell ya what, we'll pay reparations to you for slavery that happened over 150 years before we were even born, but you have to pay us reparations for the THOUSANDS of our ancestors who fought and died to end slavery. I'd say whites paid more than enough for the wrongs of the past and sadly we are still paying because we still have to listen to the whining by folks telling us that we somehow "owe" them because of slavery even though you were never enslaved to freaking begin with. SMDH

Old 02-20-2015, 01:38 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Patently avoiding the example of Jefferson's descendants because they do not fit the hypothesis is poor research.
No...I never made the point that you are arguing against with your generational theories. I just asked you for the Data in which you drew your conclusions about pre revolutionary war descendents. You gave ONE example. I call that a sampling error.

That said, my position is that reparation is not JUST for slavery, but the continuum of oppression that lasted well beyond slavery and impacted the generation of wealth, as well as caused cultural and psychological disruptions, as well as economical ones.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No...I never made the point that you are arguing against with your generational theories. I just asked you for the Data in which you drew your conclusions about pre revolutionary war descendents. You gave ONE example. I call that a sampling error.

That said, my position is that reparation is not JUST for slavery, but the continuum of oppression that lasted well beyond slavery and impacted the generation of wealth, as well as caused cultural and psychological disruptions, as well as economical ones.
I guess Alex Haley's example for your side would be a sampling error as well.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Relative?

What part of Western Civilization did Black "culture" create? The language? The math? Democracy? The economic system? The legal system? Ship Building/Global navigation? Industrialization, etc.

If you are going to divine it down to dollars and cents based on an equivalence fallacy, then you better be ready to prove, in detail, the $ worth of those contributions, if any, to the society being asked to pay. Otherwise it's is nothing but fallacy.

I don't expect a serious answer however because this entire nonsense from Charlie Rangel is nothing more than that to inflame people such as yourself. My advice, you are wasting your time because reparations are never going to happen.
You accuse others of nothing having a culture, that's insane !! how dare you ? who are you ?
if you're uneducated or have a prejudice, that's a different issue but saying that black people don't have a culture or a civilization is an insult to humanity.
If you believe in God, then you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies