Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Well Obama's wife DID say "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country."

That should have raised red flags immediately.
proud and love are not synonymous.

You cant be disappointed in your child, and still love them, why do you not think the same of America ?

Did you hate America When Barack Obama was re elected ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
proud and love are not synonymous.

You cant be disappointed in your child, and still love them, why do you not think the same of America ?

Did you hate America When Barack Obama was re elected ?
Nope, but I thought(and still do think) that many voters were clueless.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
I just have to wonder when Republicans because the sole arbiters of what it means to "love America" and who qualifies as such. When did we give them such authority? Apparently, for them, "love America" = "agree with my opinions."

Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I just have to wonder when Republicans because the sole arbiters of what it means to "love America" and who qualifies as such. Apparently, for them, "love America" = "agree with my opinions."
To be fair, this is common among all political ideologies. People who strictly identify with one party or the other tend to be less intelligent or open minded. Those who identify heavily as moderate, and those that don't much care for politics, seem to have the most reasonable views when asked. At least, that's been my experience.

As a rule, if they have a bumper sticker promoting their ideology, they're probably not worth listening to.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Nope, but I thought(and still do think) that many voters were clueless.
You have a right to that opinion. But the fact that you have the ability to do that shows that you dont hate something just because you werent proud of it.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
The way I see it, by constantly manifesting apathy towards people darker complected than himself, including blatant disrespect for the Executive of the Highest Office in The United States, Mr. Guiliani is clearly setting the poorest example possible for demonstrating love for himself, his followers and ultimately, his Country.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton’s Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas. I’ve gone to some of the best schools in America and lived in one of the world’s poorest nations. I am married to a black American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners—an inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible.

--Barack Obama
OHHH, but he HATES his country! I can tell cuz he don't LOOK MURICAN! And he got that there funny name!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
To be fair, this is common among all political ideologies. People who strictly identify with one party or the other tend to be less intelligent or open minded. Those who identify heavily as moderate, and those that don't much care for politics, seem to have the most reasonable views when asked. At least, that's been my experience.

As a rule, if they have a bumper sticker promoting their ideology, they're probably not worth listening to.

That sentence doesnt make sense, thats like a football coach asking someone who has never even heard of the game , " what play should i run next".

populism isnt the same as reasonable either.

If you polled "lowering taxes", you would probably get approval from 90% of people. That doesnt mean it is the reasonable thing to do.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That sentence doesnt make sense, thats like a football coach asking someone who has never even heard of the game , " what play should i run next".

populism isnt the same as reasonable either.

If you polled "lowering taxes", you would probably get approval from 90% of people. That doesnt mean it is the reasonable thing to do.
I view people who don't care for politics (which is what I said) as different from people who don't understand them. If people don't care for the messiness and constant contradictory behavior in politics, it does not mean they have no knowledge on the subject.

And what does populism have to do with what I said? I'm massively against the concept of majority rule because that singles out the minority.

And just asking for lower taxes isn't enough information. The question should be what should tax money be spent on and should we keep taxes as low as possible.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

So true.

As far as Giuliani goes, this was 100% political grandstanding. Nothing to see here.

Obama sucks!

Bush sucks!

Conservatives rock!

Liberals rock!

Same old nonsense. Besides, who the hell cares about Giuliani?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies