Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 04:44 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,470,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
It could just as well be cooling off and we wouldn't know it as they keep fiddling with the numbers.
Yep. It has been right at dead level for the last 16 years. And that is WITH the fudged numbers. Without them....

Certainly the alarmists rather shrill predictions of imminent doom have not been consistent with what has actually happened. It does not appear that mother nature is cooperating with the warmists.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:47 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,371,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Yep. It has been right at dead level for the last 16 years. And that is WITH the fudged numbers. Without them....

Certainly the alarmists rather shrill predictions of imminent doom have not been consistent with what has actually happened. It does not appear that mother nature is cooperating with the warmists.
It would be funny if it really started to cool off and we went into another little ice age.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,445,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Best post I've seen on this topic in a long long time

We have such a small impact on it, but the cumulative effect from the industrial revolution to today may very well be helping the situation.

winter seems to be getting progressively worse.

yup

Why do people equate greenhouse gasses with pollution. CO2 is not a pollutant.
How do "we know" that every country in the world can't up their emissions? So far every computer model by the IPCC has been wrong by a mile.
And then you say Mother nature is too big to challenge (agreed, it's mostly the sun shaping our climate), yet supposedly man is the main cause of climate change???
I didn't mention a thing about pollution. I talked about greenhouse gasses like CO2 which is a combustion byproduct.

There is no doubt that increasing greenhouse gasses does impact how the planet processes energy. Trapping more energy in the atmosphere means we get warmer. Personally, I think the biggest impact we have is deforestation. The huge forests we used to have could process a lot of CO2. Unfortunately, a warming climate is a double whammy in that the oceans can dissolve more CO2 when cold. What is yet to be seen is how this will play out. We can expect weather patterns to change but I don't know that we have a model that accurately predicts how they will change. It'll be 50 years before we have a clue on this one.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:48 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,340,490 times
Quote:
Our knowledge of this field has been developed almost entirely within the last 100 years, and in fact the vast majority of that has been acquired in the last 30 years.
Yet most of your 'knowledge' seems to be acquired from opinion pieces by non-scientists in the tabloid press.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,445,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
It would be funny if it really started to cool off and we went into another little ice age.
Could happen. All we'd need is a few strategic volcanic eruptions putting enough ash high in the atmosphere to block the sun or a few nuclear warheads.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:50 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,470,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Yet most of your 'knowledge' seems to be acquired from opinion pieces by non-scientists in the tabloid press.
If you say so.

{yawn}

Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 PM

24,364 posts, read 22,956,137 times
Global warming, measles, Ebola, Isis. Much fear mongering and hysteria about nothing.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:56 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,371,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Could happen. All we'd need is a few strategic volcanic eruptions putting enough ash high in the atmosphere to block the sun or a few nuclear warheads.
or try this one out. I visited a web page some time ago that had a bunch of different causes that we refuted. well together they made a good argument for global cooling. It could already be under way.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,774,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and there in lies the rub doesnt it? someone produces a study that refutes your beliefs and it becomes a right wing blog that you can then ignore and ridicule. or if it s a real paper then it isnt peer reviewed and thus can also be ignored.
Where did I do these things?
Which study?
What real paper?
Do you know what blogs are?
Do you know what science journals are?

Quote:
in other words you are so arrogant that you think man can control the climate? or has a huge effect on the climate? that is one of the problems with alarmists, they think man has a huge effect on everything when it is negative, but when it is positive then man has a small effect.
Climate myths: Human CO2 emissions are too tiny to matter - environment - 16 May 2007 - New Scientist

Quote:
would you? i am sure they would listen to you, after all you are some kind of expert on the subject right?
I'm not an expert, I just know the difference between credible sources and non-credible sources, and pay attention to what I read.

I definitely know more about the subject than a lot of the other people on this board, but that's not really such a huge accomplishment.

Quote:
and again therein lies the rub doesnt it? as i said if you were to actually check the protocols of the various climate treaty negotiations, the reality is that only europe and the US have to cut their carbon emissions, china, india, russia, and the rest of the developing and under developed world gets a complete pass from the treaties.
What do treaties even have to do with science?

Obviously, certain countries stand to lose a lot from passing climate change measures. The reason it's so difficult to take action on this matter is because it requires sacrifice and restraint in a world where economic growth and unchecked consumption are not only the norm, but necessary.

I've already told you that the US is one of the worst per capita emitters in the world (behind only Australia). It therefore follows that it is easier for Americans to conserve or switch to low-emission energy sources than it is to continue to deprive third world citizens of the basics.

CO2 emissions (metric tons per capita) | Data | Map

Quote:
and this isnt new. remember the montreal protocols where the refrigerant R12 was "banned" from production? well that only applied to the US and europe. R12 is still being produced in india and other countries. we just cant import it to the US. and at the time of the ban that was put in place, the only manufacturer of R12 was dupont, and they held all the patents on the refrigerant. and doesnt it strike you as suspect when you find that the reason dupont pushed for a ban on R12 is because their patents on that refrigerant were running out(finally), and that dupont had its replacement already in production, namely R134a?

you have to look deeper than the surface when you are going to ferret out the real reason why governments do things.
That's a really interesting story but I'm not arguing that corporations don't act in their own interests. So do DuPont's actions here somehow mean that R12 must therefore be perfectly okay? India still uses asbestos as well... does that mean asbestos is safe? Are cigarettes good for you because everyone in South Korea smokes like a chimney?

You don't think it's possible that DuPont's actions were selfish AND good for the environment?

Quote:
you probably meant that as an insult, thats fine you can say what you want i have broad shoulders. but to set the record straight(again) i am 56 and college educated. one thing i have learned over the years is to see through the bull crap and hysteria and look for the truth.
I'm not sure why you think my perspective is the superficial one here. Yes, corporations have an influence on politics... but that doesn't mean that all science is corrupt, AGW (a theory that is over 100 years old) is a purely political liberal hoax, or that it's okay to hold unscientific blog entries in the same regard as climatology papers published in reputable scientific journals.

If you really want to 'see through the bull crap', you need to actually care about where you get your information from... you can't just believe things because of the way they make you feel.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,340,490 times
Quote:
If you say so.

{yawn}
Your posts have shown it to be so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies