Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I resent having to present an official piece of paper to obtain my ballot. I am willing and do state my name and address out loud in the public polling place to the voting official. I resent the assumption that I am lying about who I am. That is a presumption of guilt and damaging to our basic liberties.

I believe that is sufficient. Requiring printed identification is an added burden on potential voters that may not have the means and time to be certified. The requirement is designed to reduce voter turnout and is not necessary and an infringement on a person's dignity.

Cool story. False, but it makes for good pandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
I'm still trying to figure out why so many are assuming voter fraud is so rampant? Last I checked..there's over 319,000,00 who live in USA..and could find no evidence of rampant voter fraud..BUT really demonstrates these laws as dis-enfranchising ..is the type of ID required...Why should some 80 year old who has voted since they could..all of a sudden has to produce document she has never had to before...This sounds rather underhanded to me, anyway

This link and there's many who basically state the same thing..is fairly clear..that indicates actual voter fraud proven since 2000 (12 years of actual voting)

How Much Voter Fraud Is There?
A state-by-state map reveals the answer: almost none.

Voter ID laws: A state-by-state map reveals how much voter fraud there is in the United States—almost none.
The result: "analysis of 2,068 alleged election-fraud cases since 2000 shows that while fraud has occurred, the rate is infinitesimal." The map above illustrates the number of confirmed voter fraud cases found by News21 dating back to 2000. Out of hundreds of millions of ballots cast, they counted 633 incidents. Among states with voter ID laws on the books, Georgia and Kansas have seen the most prosecutions, with 80 and 97 cases respectively. In Pennsylvania, which may require voters to show identification on Election Day if the state’s Supreme Court does not block the new law from taking effect, the number of fraud cases was just five.

I just SMH I guess with such rhetorics blaming undocumented, felons or just plain activists defrauding the voting process..when it just is NOT occurring to affect any election result???

Old 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why so many are assuming voter fraud is so rampant? Last I checked..there's over 319,000,00 who live in USA..and could find no evidence of rampant voter fraud..BUT really demonstrates these laws as dis-enfranchising ..is the type of ID required...Why should some 80 year old who has voted since they could..all of a sudden has to produce document she has never had to before...This sounds rather underhanded to me, anyway

This link and there's many who basically state the same thing..is fairly clear..that indicates actual voter fraud proven since 2000 (12 years of actual voting)

Voter ID laws: A state-by-state map reveals how much voter fraud there is in the United States—almost none.
The result: "analysis of 2,068 alleged election-fraud cases since 2000 shows that while fraud has occurred, the rate is infinitesimal." The map above illustrates the number of confirmed voter fraud cases found by News21 dating back to 2000. Out of hundreds of millions of ballots cast, they counted 633 incidents. Among states with voter ID laws on the books, Georgia and Kansas have seen the most prosecutions, with 80 and 97 cases respectively. In Pennsylvania, which may require voters to show identification on Election Day if the state’s Supreme Court does not block the new law from taking effect, the number of fraud cases was just five.

I just SMH I guess with such rhetorics blaming undocumented, felons or just plain activists defrauding the voting process..when it just is NOT occurring to affect any election result???
You're from Canada? Do you guys have to show an id to vote?
But anyway, my cousin and I have the same last name and a similar first name. The last time I went to vote I was given his card by mistake. Now I know that he's not going to show up to vote. I could have voted under his name then came back a few hours later and voted under my own. Do you think that it should be possible to do this, in a first-world nation in the year 2014?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:

How many people in LE are actively pursuing voter fraud, furthermore how do you indetify voter fraud without first identifying the voter?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How many people in LE are actively pursuing voter fraud, furthermore how do you indetify voter fraud without first identifying the voter?
How many LEOs should be out looking for people shooting unicorns? There being none it is unlikely they will find any...

I would think most Democrats would support the Nevada proposition...which simply photos each voter with a DMV camera and adds them to the data base. Then you can track down the illegal votes and send them to jail while not interfering with the rights of others to vote. Simple solution. But it won't fly. Does not give the Republicans anymore votes.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You're from Canada? Do you guys have to show an id to vote?
But anyway, my cousin and I have the same last name and a similar first name. The last time I went to vote I was given his card by mistake. Now I know that he's not going to show up to vote. I could have voted under his name then came back a few hours later and voted under my own. Do you think that it should be possible to do this, in a first-world nation in the year 2014?
Yes we have to show ID ..like a driver's licence/HCard/SIN (our SS card that is photo) ..then something to indicate living locations like a heating bill or light bill (hydro) or bank statement with address/identifying informations....Either way..No one but yourself could duplicate such Id'ing...especially when you have lived same place for decades...

So someone gave you your cousin's ID (why don't you have you're own)..Does he live in same location?? have same banking information..same living address....It's really a no brainer to prove who you are and where you live..Have no idea why voter fraud is causing such an uproar ????

As for College Aged children..who say live in residence in another county or state..Why not have then vote by mail..register @ their home address..?? What's the problem?? IF College student's can't do that..then register where they reside ( residence ) and prove with ID where they are..noting their parent's/guardian's location as a double check..

I guess my point really is..when populations exceeds 319 million..and negligible fraud is experienced..WHY such rhetoric about it's rampant happenings?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would think most Democrats would support the Nevada proposition...which simply photos each voter with a DMV camera and adds them to the data base.
Sounds like an expensive solution for a very small minority that will not have the required ID. Honestly, you can't get to the licensing center once every four years or in the case of PA once every ten years for the voting only ID. If you lived to 100 that's 8 times you'd have to go there your entire life.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:

I guess my point really is..when populations exceeds 319 million..and negligible fraud is experienced..WHY such rhetoric about it's rampant happenings?
How many cases of vote fraud occurred, I'm not asking you how many were prosecuted. I'm asking you how many occurred.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:11 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All these instances are the fault of the voter not taking responsibility. I bet the old blacks find a work-around in order to prove their identity for SS and Medicare.
"I bet the old blacks find a work-around in order to prove their identity for SS and Medicare"

Of course they do.

Several years ago S switched to Direct deposit ONLY.

If you didn't have a banl account, which many who are aginst photo Id claim that many poor blacks don't have one, you have to OPEN one. In order to open a bank today you MUST have a PHOTO ID.

My local drug store store knows me b name and STILL ask for a PHOTO ID EVERY TIME I PICK UP A PRESCRIPTION.

With 9/11 and O Care there is very LITTLE a person can do today WITHOUT a valid photo ID.

And the whiners know this.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I resent having to present an official piece of paper to obtain my ballot. I am willing and do state my name and address out loud in the public polling place to the voting official. I resent the assumption that I am lying about who I am. That is a presumption of guilt and damaging to our basic liberties.

I believe that is sufficient. Requiring printed identification is an added burden on potential voters that may not have the means and time to be certified. The requirement is designed to reduce voter turnout and is not necessary and an infringement on a person's dignity.
And I resent dead people voting.

I resent illegals voting

I resent Mickey Mouse voting.

I resent having to PAY to get a Concealed Carry Permit.

I reent having to get a driver's license in order to drive.

I resent even HAVING to get a permit to conceal carry.

I resent that I can't buy a gun for someone out of sate WITHOUT going through a dealer in my state.

I resent a LOT of things.

It is NOT about YOU. It is about attempting to make sure ONLY VALID CITIZENS vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies