Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,395,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
A business that is printing money is probably doing so illegally, I haven't heard of cases where employers are paying their employees with fake printed money.

Typically a worker receives a paycheck or real money from their employer for hours worked. That pay has to meet a minimum standard, which is the minimum wage.

You really don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So watching political postings here I have noticed a trend. Low post folks that post about a single topic, and occasionally mix in other topics. We've seen it on the topics about the Ukraine, and Russia. Those posters have quietly faded away as those topics arent in the spotlight as much.

Recently I have noticed more and more topics introduced about minimum wage, and the threat they pose to businesses. Posts like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2300328-explain-how-business-can-afford-15-a.html

and

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-min-wage.html

Some are obviously just the usual discussions that occur here. Others however....So whats caused this?

How a powerful rightwing lobby is plotting to stop minimum wage hikes | US news | The Guardian

Ahhh good old ALEC. Apparently they are freaking out over the fact that while the federal level is gridlocked and increasingly corporate controlled, states, and even cities are able to vote up minimum wages. The solution? Fight it at a state level, and deliver messaging......Because what might happen if we acted like a democracy? People might be able to vote and enact change.

The key component is the PR.....and oh look, suddenly we have topics about minimum wage that parrot these talking points. Sometimes in the original post, but often in the responses. Go read the entire link, and then go read those threads. This is how effective astroturfing is done.

So...Am I paranoid and wrong? Or?

I don`t think you`re being paranoid.

Anything we post on this forum is searchable by Google and other search engines so it follows that interested parties would attempt to move the discussion via sock puppets.

If you have been around here during the lead up to elections, you already know you`ll see all sorts of newcomers posting canned rhetoric like no tomorrow.

They go away after the election never to be heard from again.

As for minimum wage, sure the RNC corporate whores oppose it because their Chamber of Commerce friends could loses some excess profits but lots of other organizations indirectly collect profits when the minimum wage is increased.

These organizations are also likely to engage in the same sort of "astroturfing" and not for the altruistic purposes you might imagine.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You really don't get it.
Actually I do get it, I just don't agree with you, nor do I have any interest in subsidizing businesses so they can pay people less. I personally have no interest in this right wing race to the bottom you guys are cheerleading for.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Actually I do get it, I just don't agree with you, nor do I have any interest in subsidizing businesses so they can pay people less. I personally have no interest in this right wing race to the bottom you guys are cheerleading for.

Every borrowed dollar pushes the economy closer to the bottom. Businesses don't print money. Governments print money at the behest of politicians.

Bankers, liberal politicians, and other parasites are in collusion to keep you indentured. It isn't business owners or republicans.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Every borrowed dollar pushes the economy closer to the bottom. Businesses don't print money. Governments print money at the behest of politicians.

Bankers, liberal politicians, and other parasites are in collusion to keep you indentured. It isn't business owners or republicans.
Employees work for employers, those employers pay their employees with dollars for their hours worked. They are not "borrowing" money.

You clearly are trying hard to make this about something it is not. This thread is about the minimum wage being paid to people for their hours of labor.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Employees work for employers, those employers pay their employees with dollars for their hours worked. They are not "borrowing" money.

You clearly are trying hard to make this about something it is not. This thread is about the minimum wage being paid to people for their hours of labor.

Ask yourself why politicians would want to print more dollars than the market rate for labor. Or why they need to print more dollars.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Ask yourself why politicians would want to print more dollars than the market rate for labor. Or why they need to print more dollars.
And that has what to do with the minimum wage and what employers pay their employees for hours worked?

Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:

Uhmmm...actually this thread is supposed to be about the astroturfing that seem to be occurring.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 PM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
The problem is the inflation has already happened, the wages, especially at the low end, have not kept up with that inflation. That is why we see people trying to say $31K a year is too much for an entry level position to be making.

In reality, today's inflation, a full time minimum wage job should pay $24K a year. That would put the federal minimum wage at $12/hr.

It won`t matter because prices will simply increase to compensate for artificially high wages.

The real problem, the one that isn`t being addressed, is an oversupply of labor due to ****ty trade deals, illegal immigration, guest workers and artificially low interest rates.

With the low information types focused on the minimum wage, Democrats along with corporate ***** Republicans will grant amnesty to millions of job stealing illegals with millions more ready to pour over the border.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uhmmm...actually this thread is supposed to be about the astroturfing that seem to be occurring.
That is true, sorry about that, too many different minimum wage threads right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies