Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:57 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

So watching political postings here I have noticed a trend. Low post folks that post about a single topic, and occasionally mix in other topics. We've seen it on the topics about the Ukraine, and Russia. Those posters have quietly faded away as those topics arent in the spotlight as much.

Recently I have noticed more and more topics introduced about minimum wage, and the threat they pose to businesses. Posts like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2300328-explain-how-business-can-afford-15-a.html

and

Who would be the victims if Min Wage goes up to $15 p/hour

Some are obviously just the usual discussions that occur here. Others however....So whats caused this?

How a powerful rightwing lobby is plotting to stop minimum wage hikes | US news | The Guardian

Ahhh good old ALEC. Apparently they are freaking out over the fact that while the federal level is gridlocked and increasingly corporate controlled, states, and even cities are able to vote up minimum wages. The solution? Fight it at a state level, and deliver messaging......Because what might happen if we acted like a democracy? People might be able to vote and enact change.

Quote:
Not the Hyatts, not the Hiltons, not the Marriotts, but the small business people, telling their story about the American Dream – the independently owned Holiday Inn, owned by an Asian-American who came to this country, put all their life-savings into it, and now they’re going to lose this business because they can’t afford a $15 wage.” The lobbying executive added: “We have a lot of resources; we have the studies, the economic data. And we have the real-life stories that we can put out there. The key component is the PR.”
The key component is the PR.....and oh look, suddenly we have topics about minimum wage that parrot these talking points. Sometimes in the original post, but often in the responses. Go read the entire link, and then go read those threads. This is how effective astroturfing is done.

So...Am I paranoid and wrong? Or?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 04:20 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So watching political postings here I have noticed a trend. Low post folks that post about a single topic, and occasionally mix in other topics. We've seen it on the topics about the Ukraine, and Russia. Those posters have quietly faded away as those topics arent in the spotlight as much.

Recently I have noticed more and more topics introduced about minimum wage, and the threat they pose to businesses. Posts like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2300328-explain-how-business-can-afford-15-a.html

and

Who would be the victims if Min Wage goes up to $15 p/hour

Some are obviously just the usual discussions that occur here. Others however....So whats caused this?

How a powerful rightwing lobby is plotting to stop minimum wage hikes | US news | The Guardian

Ahhh good old ALEC. Apparently they are freaking out over the fact that while the federal level is gridlocked and increasingly corporate controlled, states, and even cities are able to vote up minimum wages. The solution? Fight it at a state level, and deliver messaging......Because what might happen if we acted like a democracy? People might be able to vote and enact change.

The key component is the PR.....and oh look, suddenly we have topics about minimum wage that parrot these talking points. Sometimes in the original post, but often in the responses. Go read the entire link, and then go read those threads. This is how effective astroturfing is done.

Or

Old 02-21-2015, 05:11 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is how effective astroturfing is done.

I pulled this from the other post. I guess it is effective in showing that people (The OP.) who are against the 15 dollars an hour are bad at math.
Quote:

Originally Posted by non-linear

Explain how a business can afford $15 an hour.
Lets hear you theories. The increased sales argument doesn't wrk either. If you've got a pizza chain and you have twice as many orders to fill, then obviously you have to hire twice as many delivery drivers to meet demand. According to Forbes, the average restaurant franchise makes a profit of 86k annually, at a place I worked they spent approximately 3k per week on labor, so how in the hell can a company afford to double that cost, adding an extrva 156k in labor expenses when there isn't even 156k left over in profit? Even if sales doubles, the net profit comes out to about 20k even without hiring extra labor (which is obviously unrealistic). Who gets the shaft? The franchisee. Why should the guy running the place make less then his employees?

Your company made 86 K in profit after paying 156K in labor. Profit comes after labor gets paid. I would say we're working with 242K here, but there's rent, the light bill, water, heck maybe they have cable TV.

Your company doubles sales and doubles payroll. Now it makes 172K in profit after it pays 312K in labor. Now we're working with ~412K. If the light bill, rent, etc. didn't go up, he'd have even more profit vs. expenses.

I fail to see how that franchisee got totally shafted.

EDIT.. wait a second. pizza drivers taking approximately 3K a month are earning approximately $17.30 an hour.

17.30 X 2080 = $36,000.
That's based on a standard 40 hour workweek. If they are part time, they are still making 3K, so they are making MORE THAN $17.30 an hour.

The OP actually gave us a business with the workers earning the equivilant of more than 15 dollars an hour and making $86 profit a year. And then told us how it would be a failure.

The real question is not if you can sustain the business. The real question is where is this pizza place, and are they hiring?

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-21-2015 at 05:27 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
There are many corporate lackeys, useful idiots, bots and straight paid shills; it's hard to differentiate...

But if someone is against improving the lives of their fellow American-they are one of the above.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Minimum wage is irrelevant. Raise it to $50 an hour, my only request is you do it slowly so business's can adjust. You'll still only be able to buy what your labor is worth for one hour. The dollar represents the value of your labor, the value of your labor isn't going to change simply becsue you changed the dollar amount.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Minimum wage is irrelevant. Raise it to $50 an hour, my only request is you do it slowly so business's can adjust. You'll still only be able to buy what your labor is worth for one hour. The dollar represents the value of your labor, the value of your labor isn't going to change simply becsue you changed the dollar amount.
That's what they don't get. And don't bother explaining that to them; they're on a mission. If they got what they wanted, they'd see. Then, it will be on to the next essentially fruitless crusade.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Most polls say most Americans overwhelmingly support raising the minimum wage, hence I would say "Yes, we're probably being astroturfed."

Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
This topic is a fine demo of the projection disorder that characterizes the cognitive disorder of leftists.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Apparently we live in a country where right wingers think making $31K a year is a high dollar wage that only those with lots of skills should be able to earn because it must still be 1980 inflation rates going on right now.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Apparently we live in a country where right wingers think making $31K a year is a high dollar wage that only those with lots of skills should be able to earn because it must still be 1980 inflation rates going on right now.
I agree. I always laugh at those who think that $15/hr in 2015 must be some lavish salary

It's the "crabs in a basket" mentality that has taken hold of many lower and middle class people. "My life sucks, so everyone else's should, too."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies