Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 08:06 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What part of "Shall not be infringed" don't you understand?
What part of "well regulated" don't you understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
As for the second amendment The founding Fathers had no idea that #1 guns would be so plentiful in the future and #2 brains would not be.
I don't agree, seeing as how that's your opinion with no facts or evidence to back it up. In fact, I think just the opposite is true. Everyone had a gun back then, and almost everyone was in a Militia. If you look at the population figures of that time and compare it with the guns in civilian hands, it would by far be more guns than it is now.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
...the right of the People [emphasis mine]...

Militias, comprised of citizens, were once commonplace. Should that "security" to ensure a free state be necessary, the framers simply wanted to preserve that right of the people.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Helllllloooooo? It is a right, not a privilege , not something granted because you pass some test.
Voting is a right also. Yet you have to register to vote. And you can't vote more than once in the same election.

Peaceable assembly is a right also (1st amendment). But you have to get a permit if you want to march on the Brooklyn Bridge.

All rights are limited by the rights that other people have.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
What part of "well regulated" don't you understand?
We've been over this already. It has nothing to do with restricting access to, types of weapons we may posses, or any of the other restrictions so beloved by anti-gunners.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Voting is a right also. Yet you have to register to vote. And you can't vote more than once in the same election.

Peaceable assembly is a right also (1st amendment). But you have to get a permit if you want to march on the Brooklyn Bridge.

What right(s) do you have that would limit my right to keep and bear arms (other than on YOUR private property)?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Comparing yourself to a Communist country??

Compare yourself with other western democracies.
The USA is a republic.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What right(s) do you have that would limit my right to keep and bear arms (other than on YOUR private property)?
Well let's see, the government has an obligation to promote the general welfare and provide for the common defense and the 2nd amendment says that the militia is to be trained. All those things right there imply regulation as to who can own a weapon etc.

Then you have the fact that having a firearm makes it easier to violate my right to my life and my personal property when walking down the street. So it very much affects me. Plus many business owners do not want people on their property with a firearm.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well let's see, the government has an obligation to promote the general welfare and provide for the common defense and the 2nd amendment says that the militia is to be trained. All those things right there imply regulation as to who can own a weapon etc.
You understand that none of that has anything to do with your rights limiting mine, don't you?

Quote:
Then you have the fact that having a firearm makes it easier to violate my right to my life and my personal property when walking down the street.
Are you saying that since you have a right to life and property, that nobody may possess the means to take your life or property?

Quote:
So it very much affects me. Plus many business owners do not want people on their property with a firearm.
I already addressed the private property issue, and I agree with it 100%. Private property owners absolutely have the right to invite or exclude whoever they wish.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:

Not the same. Voting would not have all these restrictions if people could be trusted to vote without fraud, but we know they can not. SO rules are put into place to "FORTIFY" the right of a FAIR election. It adds to it, and does not take away from it. Your not thinking.

You can still assemble the same as you always could. A permit does not take away your rights to do so. What it does, is insure my "Rights" and keeps you from interfering with my rights while you exercise yours. You have no right to stop me from going home from work because you decide to protest. It also gives safety controls to authorities to protect the public. Again, your not thinking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies