Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,904,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
when will the cops be required to do the same, and actually pass a stress fire course and show at least basic firearms proficiency?

that does not happen in most of the USA in police departments, and that is also why American civilians are also better shooters than 99% of all cops.
Most cops go to the range once a year to qualify. Many gun owners go weekly. Shooting is a skill that requires constant practice to maintain proficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,137,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Most cops go to the range once a year to qualify. Many gun owners go weekly. Shooting is a skill that requires constant practice to maintain proficiency.
proficiency is something that most cops will never have with firearms.

I have 50 meter and a 1000 meter range out back of my home, and i practice daily.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

I envy you.. I only get to a public range once a week... Occasionally twice.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I envy you.. I only get to a public range once a week... Occasionally twice.

I publicly invite you out to mine if you are ever in the area.

just give a time and some notice.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I publicly invite you out to mine if you are ever in the area.
I accept your invitation graciously.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:14 PM

10,332 posts, read 5,502,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In the same way that a driving test prevents automobile accidents?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

a test for cops being proficient would prevent cops with no aptitude for police work from ever becoming police in the 1st place.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
The feds can't even handle basic computer background checks on handguns ;they handed it off to local police. They have two days and many do not get to them ;so they automatically go thru. the law was just passed to delay two days in reality. The federal government is too political to handle it ;plain and simple.Then it would like be like the IRS political checks of nonprofits anyway with Washington type thinking. The temptation to abuse power is too strong in federal government.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,704,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Are tests required to exercise our other Constitutional rights?

First of all, let me acknowledge that it's a good idea to understand how firearms work, and be trained in their use before using them.......that being said, I too have always wondered why some of our constitutional rights guaranteed come with more restrictions, others not so many.

Should they perhaps be called "limited rights" ?

Do you have a right to have one gun or 1000 guns, or any amount in between ? Can the government demand you take some training, register your purchase and/or pass a test to own a firearm ?

Do you have an absolute right to free speech ? Well, sort of as long as it's not libelous speech, and you're not yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. We all know speech can be very damaging and hurtful....perhaps everyone should be "tested" to make sure you know how to use your right to free speech properly before you can use it ???

Do we have an absolute right to vote ? Yes, but some states think accuracy is necessary and that you need to prove who you are (voter ID) before you can vote. Does it really matter who you are unless someone using the same name has already been marked as having voted in that precinct ?

We have a right to privacy......well, not so much anymore. That one seems to be under attack as much or more than any other right. Law enforcement/government can do pretty much anything these days using one twisted maneuver or another to get what they want. While they generally cannot break your door down and search your home without probable cause.....they can put (this one is currently under dispute....but has been done none the less) GPS trackers on your car with out legal probable cause to see IF you do something suspicious or wrong....and then gain probable cause to go further. They can beam your house with an infrared gun to see in some cases how many people are in your living room.....or if perhaps you have pot grow lights on inside.....all without any legal probable cause.

I got a "survey" from the census bureau a while back.....they tell me under penalty of law I need to tell them, among dozens of other things, how many bathrooms I have in my home....lol. Does anyone really think that is any business of the government in a free society ?????

Old 04-07-2015, 01:18 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,314,823 times
So what about after passing your safety test for the first gun I go back and buy more? Are you saying I need to pay your fee for the test when I go back and buy a Glock, then a month later a S&W revolver then a month later a Mini 14 rifle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies