Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,375,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Tell me how does a small business come up with $1,000,000 worth of cash to fund one hour of labor?
If you wanted to enact a minimum wage that high (and I don't) then you would need to simply print a bunch of money to hand to everyone to use.
Quote:
You really need to study the broken window fallacy because I do not think you understand it.
Or not.
Quote:
First, you ignore the inability of some business being unable to afford the new cost of labor.
No I haven't they would simply fail.
Quote:
Second, you ignored the fact that some businesses will not get an increase or enough of an increase to offset the increase cost.
No I haven't they would simply fail.
Quote:
Third, you ignore that some business will not have access to the new paper you are printing.
No I'm not ignoring this they would simply fail.

They would fail because they are no longer getting an indirect government subsidy to stay in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
New business, products and innovation will be severally decreased. Home ownership would likely dry up too due to the inability of rich developers to invest in building houses.
Get real. Net income after expenses. A top marginal tax rate of 90% didn't shut down our economy back when we had it. In fact it was growing far stronger then than now.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,476,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Let it be based on geography & cost of living.

I floated that idea past here a few days ago, that doesn't work for most here in fact they had closed because it just the thought of it was appalling.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Care to support this absurd assumption. Seems you are back to playing liberal tool with stupidity such as this.
I will give a whack at supporting it. If they could've outsourced it they would've.
You probably wont accept this one but the other people reading this thread most likely will.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
64% of all minimum wage workers are part-time. I do wonder why you want to raise it.
And how many of those part time minimum wage earners have two part time jobs?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 711,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
If you wanted to enact a minimum wage that high (and I don't) then you would need to simply print a bunch of money to hand to everyone to use.

Quote:
They would fail because they are no longer getting an indirect government subsidy to stay in business.

My guess you are opposed to government subsidies? I think our conversation is over it appears you have some misinformed conjecture about the broken window fallacy not applying to wages.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:

My guess you are opposed to government subsidies?
I have no income. I haven't had any income for many years. I collect no entitlements from the government. I expect to earn my money.

My sister has the same disability that I do. She gets a check from the government. I'm OK with her getting a check. But if you are going to put her to work at anything like full time then you should be paying enough for her to not need a check. If you don't then you are getting a government subsidy just like she is.

If you are in it for the money then you shouldn't be being subsidized by the government. Directly or indirectly.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 AM

1,160 posts, read 711,552 times
Quote:
I have no income. I haven't had any income for many years. I collect no entitlements from the government. I expect to earn my money.

My sister has the same disability that I do. She gets a check from the government. I'm OK with her getting a check. But if you are going to put her to work at anything like full time then you should be paying enough for her to not need a check. If you don't then you are getting a government subsidy just like she is.

If you are in it for the money then you shouldn't be being subsidized by the government. Directly or indirectly.
Please answer the question. I think you are saying you are opposed to a government subsidy in any fashion. Is this true?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Please answer the question. I think you are saying you are opposed to a government subsidy in any fashion. Is this true?
I did answer your question. Not as simply as you like but I did.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Dude, you've yet to explain why its practical to keep wages in line with inflation. I've read through this entire thread and its not here.
Why is it practical to keep wages inline with inflation.

1. to prevent large scale economic disruption. For example thee Great depression.

2. to promote general prosperity.

3. to keep large parts of the population from dying of starvation.

4. to maintain social stability.

For these four reasons it is probably practical to have the bottom's wages lead inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies