Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Very good topic. I see the same phenomena even here in the Heartland. I live near our State University and like you said, some of these Chinese kids drive Porsche Cayennes and BMW 5 series around campus. It is so bizarre and they stand out like sore thumbs since most people here drive very unassuming cars and showing off is not part of the culture here.

In Chinese culture, it is perfectly ok for a 25 year old to not work and have Daddy pay for everything. I am very suspicious of Chinese people generally speaking and we have to be on alert. People that come from Communist countries can be very sneaky and they don't share the same values as we do here, my motto has always been to never trust a Communist Chinese because I know their sneaky and deceiving ways.
And 15 years ago, I saw the same thing in Irvine, CA when I was taking classes at a college for career advancement. Only it was Middle Eastern kids, driving cars much nicer than mine. So? At least rich immigrants are contributing to taxes rather than using them up

I'm sure if the Chinese immigrants recently moved here, then they'll probably speak mostly Chinese. The younger ones will assimilate eventually. And I'm glad my decision to put my kids in Mandarin immersion school starting in kindergarten will be useful to them someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Taxpayers/State may not completely fund the state universities, but they still fund 25-40% of it. The state has a strong interest in educating its citizens for it to prosper. If they want to invite even more foreign students to come here, then charge them out the ying-yang. Those from rich families can obviously afford to pay whatever the price. Let them suffer some of the same price inflations that we Americans are facing.
In state students pay about half the tuition paid by out of state students.

Out of state students tend to , over time, establish residency to take advantage of in state tuition rates.

Foreign students pay out of state tuition and generally speaking do not qualify for residency or in state tuition.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with the bolded.

However, Commonality of speech creates a web of connections that hold a people together. A common language is an important unifying force in a country that is diverse in so many other ways. Second, now and for the near future, a mastery of English will be important for full political participation and economic advancement in the United States. You simply cannot deny that.

It would be naive to think that there is no price to be paid for those migrants who cannot communicate in English. Immigrants to the US who cannot or will not learn to speak English are isolated from their English-speaking fellows. The non-speaker is powerless to contest whatever conclusions they draw.

Please consider this,

Having English as our official language simply means that for the government to act officially, or legally, it must communicate in English. It means the language of record is the English language, and that no one has a right to demand government services in any other language.

Official English would also reinforce America's historic message to new immigrants -- that we expect them to learn English as the first step in their assimilation -- and that we are committed to ensuring that all Americans share in the economic, social and political benefits of having a common language.

https://www.proenglish.org/official-...lish-only.html

The English as official language movement is not the same as English only. It is not even close.

Bobby Jindal once said, "We all remember learning in grade school about America as the great “melting pot” — a concept that was completely compatible with Dr. King’s dream of every American being judged on the content of his character and not the color of his skin. You come to the United States and you become an American, regardless of your heritage, your ethnicity, your traditions, or your accent. But now we seem to act as if that melting pot is passé, an antiquated notion."

I think each person should focus on what makes America stronger. Jindal also argued that, "we must resist the politically correct trend of changing the melting pot into a salad bowl." After all, we are called "The United States of America" not 13 American colonies.
Not having shared language is usually not a problem for the affluent who have the means. Liberals usually want more common community because it enables them to increase regulation and control. Here you have a liberal who is crusading against that shared common ground that less fortunate people need simply as a childish way of saying "I'm not a racist. See I'm a hero". To me I don't care much for that common ground. If liberals don't want it they better accept the consequences. Your best argument is to let them get what they deserve. Liberals today are getting what they deserve due to their policies in the past. They will continue that pattern again (and again and again).

Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Costs
Your costs will vary, depending on the living situation you choose. The following chart represents an estimate of typical expenses for a student living on campus:

Estimated annual costs for 2014-15
California Resident National and International Students
Tuition and Fees* $13,896 $36,774
Health Insurance $1,869 $1,869
Books and Supplies $1,560 $1,560
Room and Board ** $14,218 $14,218
Personal Expenses $1,522 $1,522
Transportation $620 $620
Total $33,685 $56,563

UC*Davis : Cost of Attendance

So obviously, out of state students are paying exactly the same as international students.

Shameful.
Except out of state students have the ability to establish residency for the sole purpose of paying in state tuition. Every school in every state has different rules. It's all about the paper trail.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Except out of state students have the ability to establish residency for the sole purpose of paying in state tuition.
So?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Not having shared language is usually not a problem for the affluent who have the means. Liberals usually want more common community because it enables them to increase regulation and control. Here you have a liberal who is crusading against that shared common ground that less fortunate people need simply as a childish way of saying "I'm not a racist. See I'm a hero". To me I don't care much for that common ground. If liberals don't want it they better accept the consequences. Your best argument is to let them get what they deserve. Liberals today are getting what they deserve due to their policies in the past. They will continue that pattern again (and again and again).
Interesting.

To me, this topic is not liberal vs conservative.

Despite China, the United States is still a leader in technical innovation and economic development. English is used in the United States and in each of these fields. In the United States, speaking English immediately opens up opportunities regardless of your ethnicity, color, or background.

When I was in Japan for example, I learned to speak Japanese. If I didn't, I had no friends. It is what it is. (In Germany, same scenario) If you want more opportunities, friends, you learn the language.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So?
Bottom line it is in the financial interests of the school and state to have foreign students because they pay more.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Bottom line it is in the financial interests of the school and state to have foreign students because they pay more.
So do out of state students. They pay exactly the same as international students. Many out of states students have no abilities to establish residency as you claimed. This is exactly why many out of state students are living in the dorms. DUH

Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My mom married into a Chinese immigrant family and I lived with them for 10 years. Too bad I didn't become fluent in Mandarin during that time. Could have easily done it if I had the foresight. But, who has it when they are a comfortable teenager? I'm starting in the summer what I should have a long time ago. While a lot of (white, most likely of limited means) people in this topic can continue to have pipe dreams of a country that is as close to 100% white as possible, I'm going to get ahead in life. I'll leave the racism for economically disadvantaged Anglos who are jealous that the Chinese immigrants have more than they do and are more ambitious in life
Good point. But then again liberals are not trying to help people who are economisLly disadvantaged. They make people dependent on welfare without developing marketable skills. They do it the same way with colored people as well as poor whites. You want to get ahead and you will need to work harder.

And today's skilled and affluent immigrants will be a pillar of the Republican Party tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Reportedly, only about 1 % of US students study abroad and do so for 1-2 semesters. Top destinations include UK, Italy, Spain, France and then China.

Australia is also coming on strong.

The " semester abroad" thing tends to be code speak for " my parents had the $ to fund it".
Study abroad is a joke. Americans take he same parties abroad. They are still not as hardworking as the locals of their destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies