Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
How many Democrats really care about Israeli politics? How many understand the Israeli Knesset? And most importantly, how many American Democrats truly have awareness of this issue, other than just reciting what CNN says?
I'll point out that Bernie Sanders is the only senator that has lived in Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
But it's ok when the president sends a team of people (and lots of money) to attempt to manipulate the election in Israel?

Your hypocrisy is so bad.... It's called a "lie".
I'm sorry, I thought your smarter than this, you still don't understand, we pay all your bills, you're surviving because of US money, without it you'll be gone, so we have every right to interfere in your politics and even choose your leaders, it is not the same thing therefore you can't compare a welfare state like Israel with the US.
President Obama is right, he should not have to deal with a dangerous liar like Nothin-yahu.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Very well said, the spat between Obama and Netanyahu will be over soon and relations will remain close as usual. The left does not want Netanyahu re-elected, so they can walk out all they want. Republicans are worried about Obama's Foreign Policy will end with an Iranian nuclear weapon and exacerbate tensions with other U.S Allies.

So unless Iran starts recognizing Israel as an existing country, remove its threat of genocide and stops spreading its hegemony and violence through proxies, Netanyahu will make this speech under any political conditions.
That's another joke from the war-mongers, Israel doesn't need any recognition from Iran, Israel is a member of the UN, it has international recognition and doesn't need any recognition from any other country.
That's an Israeli excuse and different way of complicating the matter in purpose, Iran nuclear issue is not an Israeli issue, Western countries are already negociating with Iran.
The main threat in the middle east is coming from Israel which has more nuclear weapons than any country in the area.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is going to blow up in Boehner's already scorched face. How Dare he stain the honor of his office as Speaker of the House by bringing a foreign head of state to OUR CAPITOL BUILDING to give a speech against the position of our sitting President. And Good for President Obama for refusing to meet with Netanyahu, and good for the many Jewish Americans planning to protest.

Poll: Nearly 2/3 of Americans say Netanyahu Congress speech a 'bad move' - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz
Agree with the article, President Obama is right, Boehner shows his incapacity to stand up for America, he chooses to back foreign country against our President, Republicans are ready to sell America at the first opportunity.
They do not deserve any trust in any elections and I hope this scandal will lead to the collapse of the Republicans in the next elections

Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think staying for Netanyahu's speech has much to do with the country's welfare. Netanyahu's making a speech for what he's believes is his country's welfare not ours. Normally, the president negotiating treaties, congress ratifies or rejects. Netanyahu is making a speech that lobbies congress to undermine the negotiating process. Asking a foreign leader to lobby against the president is tacky, I don't see any purpose in listening and staying for the speech.
It shouldn't matter what they individually think or not. They are paid to go to work by their states and are expected to actually show up for work. They don't have to agree with whatever he is stating, but if the session is called they are expected to be in their seats.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Mmm...I don't consider the monetary aid we send to Israel--which is mostly spent by them in defense--to be "welfare."

I look at it more like sending well-deserved help to out lone ally in that part of the planet--the Middle East--which I like to refer to as "The World's Roughest Neighborhood."

And you correctly pointed out that 3 billion (I wold have thought it was a bit more) is a drop in the bucket insofar as the monies we have spent in the Middle East since the Bush Administration waged our ill-gotten war in 2002.

I would like to unleash Israel on Iran. To me that would be sort of a win-win scenario, as we would eradicate the nuclear capability in the hands of a bunch of psychopaths, while not really having to dirty our own hands doing it.
Millions of Americans who have to pay this money from their pay check, think it is welfare, exactly like food stamps

We don't know for sure it is going to defense !! who said that ? the Israelis ,they lied in the past, who believe them.

Countries have no friends, countries have interests, so Israel is not really an ally, it is more like a burden, spending our money and causing more problems around the world.

If you think it is a drop in the bucket, then why Israel don't get it from somewhere else ?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
The question stipulates "without notifying the President first".

Most people surveyed probably think that it's simply kinda rude or that it's illegal.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Millions of Americans who have to pay this money from their pay check, think it is welfare, exactly like food stamps

We don't know for sure it is going to defense !! who said that ? the Israelis ,they lied in the past, who believe them.

Countries have no friends, countries have interests, so Israel is not really an ally, it is more like a burden, spending our money and causing more problems around the world.

If you think it is a drop in the bucket, then why Israel don't get it from somewhere else ?
Israel has to spend a minimum of 75% of the money given to them in the US Military Industry. The US verifies that the purchases are made. Period. Israel does not need the money, but per the Treaty penned by the US they get it. Now what does the US get? It gets multiple storage locations in Israel for the storage of munitions for the sole use of the US. It gets a listening station for the sole use of the US.

Now if you want to calculate what comes out of your paycheck and goes to Israel: Multiply the money you pay for Federal taxes for the entire year by 0.0009 (Israel/US Revenue >3.1B/3400B). Keep in mind that the US spends more on the interest on national debt in a day then Israel gets in a year. A little perspective helps when one doesn't have to think it's a drop in the bucket when one is faced with the reality that it's an extremely small droplet.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Mmm...I don't consider the monetary aid we send to Israel--which is mostly spent by them in defense--to be "welfare."

I look at it more like sending well-deserved help to out lone ally in that part of the planet--the Middle East--which I like to refer to as "The World's Roughest Neighborhood."

And you correctly pointed out that 3 billion (I wold have thought it was a bit more) is a drop in the bucket insofar as the monies we have spent in the Middle East since the Bush Administration waged our ill-gotten war in 2002.

I would like to unleash Israel on Iran. To me that would be sort of a win-win scenario, as we would eradicate the nuclear capability in the hands of a bunch of psychopaths, while not really having to dirty our own hands doing it.
We already tried that when we financed Saddam Hussein's 6 year war with Iran, during the Reagan Administration. Where you been?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is going to blow up in Boehner's already scorched face. How Dare he stain the honor of his office as Speaker of the House by bringing a foreign head of state to OUR CAPITOL BUILDING to give a speech against the position of our sitting President. And Good for President Obama for refusing to meet with Netanyahu, and good for the many Jewish Americans planning to protest.

Poll: Nearly 2/3 of Americans say Netanyahu Congress speech a 'bad move' - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz
I voted that it's pretty wrong for a sitting President to criticize a co-equal branch of government. The Constitution does not give the Prez contol either OF or OVER Congress. And it's not that the speech is against the position of Mr. Prezzy, the speech is to make the American public aware of the dangers of making a deal with an untrustworthy rogue government.

I certainly agree it's good that Mr. Prezzy is not meeting with Netanyahu. For the almighty gawdz sake, dealing with Mr. Prezzy has proved to be a useless waste of time which Netanyahu can put to much more productive use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies