Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times

Advertisements

The United States military is still leagues ahead of the Chinese military. The Chinese are no threat to America. The only fear from warhawks is that China will become a military world power and America will lose its leverage. We already have seen China pushing its weight around, doing the same thing that the U.S. is famous for doing ,and we just don't like it because we like to be in charge of world affairs.

There will be a time in the not so distant future when China invades another country to implement its political whims just as the U.S. has done time and time again.

Last edited by Supachai; 02-26-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The US spends more on military than the 10 following countries...combined.

Is that seriously not enough?
Not for the well funded, well connected MIC lobby

Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Go read the article. It says China has 60, and we have 71. For real fun the article also makes it clear that their submarines arent as good as ours.

Sooo OP is stating the opposite of reality actually. Fun times.

And they spend far far less then what we spend. But OP thinks we should spend more? uh huh.
I like to be able to agree with greywar now and then, and this one of those occasions.

Another point to make about their 60 is that more than half are diesels, and old diesels at that. Their newer nuclear powered hulls are based on old technology, and their sonar and ASW capabilities are circa 1970.

Bottom line, the US has all the submarines it needs, it just needs to replace older ones with newer ones to keep the fleet operational. No other country in the world, even Russia at the height of the Cold War, can match our submarine tech.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
The Chinese are crushing us on infrastructure, education, manufacturing, energy, you name it.

Meanwhile we sit around squawking about carrying guns 24 hours a day and which consenting adults can get married.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
I've stayed in China for a year, and honestly speaking, the more I understand Chinese people and culture, the more I believe China is not a threat.

China cannot win a war against super power because it is not a self sufficient economy.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've stayed in China for a year, and honestly speaking, the more I understand Chinese people and culture, the more I believe China is not a threat.

China cannot win a war against super power because it is not a self sufficient economy.

You must be mistaken. According to most conservatives, you should have seen the Chinese plotting to invade USA in every corner. Maybe they saw you coming and hided their attack plans.

Or maybe you went to the wrong country. Sure you didn't landed in Japan by mistake? I heard China and Japan are very close to each other, kinda like Alabama and Mississippi!!

Now, let do something about them illegals. They are probably cohorting with the Chinese....

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Every time we bring up cutting welfare (aka leech enabling handouts), the first thing liberals say is "cut military spending first". As foreign military powers grow, who do you think is going to be more of an asset to the US? The military, or the welfare collectors?

China submarines outnumber U.S. fleet: U.S. admiral | Reuters
I just don't get where you're coming from. Perhaps you could clarify. You're complaining that we are not spending enough on the military while in another thread you applaud Dish Network cheating the taxpayers out of 3.2 billion dollars via a tax loophole.
The two stances seem diametrically opposed to each other.

Last edited by mohawkx; 02-26-2015 at 11:21 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This little tid bit goes for most countries. Most are not a threat, but our warmongering government will continue to tell us differently. They want us to stay the big bully on the block so that the US can continue to extort countries and make money for themselves and the corporations that fund them. Why solve problems at home when you can be out shoving Democracy down the throats of 3rd world countries? Thus making new enemies that will allow you to invade other countries to deepen your pockets and your investors even further.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I would be even more concerned that if you watched Joint chiefs reports to Congress of our present capabilities ;its all services. For example the Air Force had 180 squadrons of fighters combat ready at time of Gulf War. We how have 50 and its soon to be 40 to keep them combat ready.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
This little tid bit goes for most countries. Most are not a threat, but our warmongering government will continue to tell us differently. They want us to stay the big bully on the block so that the US can continue to extort countries and make money for themselves and the corporations that fund them. Why solve problems at home when you can be out shoving Democracy down the throats of 3rd world countries? Thus making new enemies that will allow you to invade other countries to deepen your pockets and your investors even further.
When I was in China, I noticed that they (Chinese) loved McDonald's, American movies, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, and surprise, surprise, American Marine Corps.

In all fairness, Chinese culture is not really a warrior culture. Plus, China is so dependent on offshore resources, markets and investors to keep its economy growing that it can’t run the risk of really scaring its trading partners.

I don't think China is a big threat, BUT, we should all focus on the direction our country is going. China on verge of worst economic crisis in decades, we should take advantage of the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies