U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:22 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,061,767 times

Advertisements

This topic is not simple, and leads to great ideas being discussed. It was shut down in great debates because it does go off course from the topic, but I feel that is necessary at times. I would like to interact with people that argue the point or a point and not drag the discussion down with insults and anger rants.

Use passion not anger.

A two party system makes sense to me since every decision can be boiled down to the better of two choices. What can our two party system really define as the core values they will pursue?

I will try to define the two parties as such:

Democrats - Pursue the best policy for the masses.

Republican - Pursue the best policy for the individual

I don't think educated voters should vote based on party affiliation, but based on the best policy for the issue being voted on.

Just an idea. I was wondering what people in this forum would suggest to clarify the confusion in politics. The confusion based on peoples private prejudices.

“I’m not against people who have money, who like money, who go crazy for money, But in politics we have to separate them. We have to run people who love money too much out of politics, they’re a danger in politics… People who love money should dedicate themselves to industry, to commerce, to multiply wealth. But politics is the struggle for the happiness of all.” - Jose Mujica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,873,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
A two party system makes sense to me since every decision can be boiled down to the better of two choices.
And what leads you to that conclusion?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
And what leads you to that conclusion?
Good question. That human logic is binary or a dichotomy. The way our brain works can be modeled in binary. A two party system is the "assembly language" of politics

Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM

That's funny because I was going to make the observation that you're demonstrating binary thinking. I believe that application to political issues is a problem in itself.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I believe that application to political issues is a problem in itself.
What about my idea, we already have a two party system so thats that. What about the core ideology dems and reps should follow?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM

To be honest, even after reading your OP several times I still find it difficult to determine what it is exactly you're trying to say.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
To be honest, even after reading your OP several times I still find it difficult to determine what it is exactly you're trying to say.
It's simple. To fix our bad politics we need to define the core ideology of each group:

Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,224,371 times
Quote:
This topic is not simple, and leads to great ideas being discussed. It was shut down in great debates because it does go off course from the topic, but I feel that is necessary at times. I would like to interact with people that argue the point or a point and not drag the discussion down with insults and anger rants.

Use passion not anger.

A two party system makes sense to me since every decision can be boiled down to the better of two choices. What can our two party system really define as the core values they will pursue?

I will try to define the two parties as such:

I don't think educated voters should vote based on party affiliation, but based on the best policy for the issue being voted on.

Just an idea. I was wondering what people in this forum would suggest to clarify the confusion in politics. The confusion based on peoples private prejudices.

“I’m not against people who have money, who like money, who go crazy for money, But in politics we have to separate them. We have to run people who love money too much out of politics, they’re a danger in politics… People who love money should dedicate themselves to industry, to commerce, to multiply wealth. But politics is the struggle for the happiness of all.” - Jose Mujica

Spend more time on trying to secure the popular vote and do away with the electoral system. That way, ALL politicians will have to pay due to everyone. Not just the electoral votes that can swing them. The thought being, if they don't do much for you now, what makes you think that will change when they get in. Right OR Left side of the aisle. Makes no difference.

If you are Red living in New York, don't bother going to the polls. It's moot. If you are Blue living in Texas outside of Austin, stay home. No point.

And THAT is a HUGE problem. Everyone's vote should be heard. Voting rolls would increase if we went to a popular vote and we would have a system where truly, everyone's vote counted. Right now, you can have a "landslide" victory with on a 51-52% popular vote. That's too close to let it go either way. Bring that into effect and two parties or ten parties won't make a difference.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It's simple. To fix our bad politics we need to define the core ideology of each group:

I'm not seeing how your attempt to define either party using that criteria 'fixes' anything.

*I* submit that one possible fix for our bad politics is to move away from a two party system - as well as the binary thinking that perpetuates it. I believe the two party system persists in this country mainly because many people nowadays prefer stories (narratives, as it were) that have well-defined heroes and villains. In that regard, the two party system delivers.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Spend more time on trying to secure the popular vote and do away with the electoral system. That way, ALL politicians will have to pay due to everyone. Not just the electoral votes that can swing them. The thought being, if they don't do much for you now, what makes you think that will change when they get in. Right OR Left side of the aisle. Makes no difference.

If you are Red living in New York, don't bother going to the polls. It's moot. If you are Blue living in Texas outside of Austin, stay home. No point.

And THAT is a HUGE problem. Everyone's vote should be heard. Voting rolls would increase if we went to a popular vote and we would have a system where truly, everyone's vote counted. Right now, you can have a "landslide" victory with on a 51-52% popular vote. That's too close to let it go either way. Bring that into effect and two parties or ten parties won't make a difference.
I agree.

That is important. Do away with the electoral system. It has my vote.

i think it would get more people involved (VOTING!!) as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or