Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times

Advertisements

In Knox v. Service Employees International Union, Local 1000 The Supreme Court ruled that workers can opt out of union dues used for political purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
It's possible to have a well-reasoned discussion without resorting to talking points. Here are the issues, as I see it:

1) Unions have some serious problems, particularly the amount of greed and corruption amongst the leaders of some of the larger organizations. Would it not be better to reform rather than completely eliminate them? If members have concerns, they themselves must press for change.

2) Collective bargaining/representation doesn't really work when not everyone pays their fair share. There are a lot of states where "collective" bargaining purportedly happens but not everyone is equally contributing to the effort financially. How is free riding any better than forcing someone to join? What's the middle-ground solution?

3) In an era where the richest Americans control a proportion of the wealth similar to what they controlled during the "robber baron" era, unions are one of the few counterbalances that remain, one of the few organizations that stand up for most of the rest of the workers. If eliminated, what other recourse do workers have when legitimately wronged or taken being advantage of?

4) As far as unions involved in politics goes, these organizations tend to support those that support them. This is an example of the bastardization of the political process in this country, but I'm not sure it's anywhere close to being the worst.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM

100 posts, read 93,740 times
Crown Manufacturing Company workers in Canada have been forced to be on strike by the United Steel Workers Union for 17 months now. They have no choice but to be a member of the union if they want to work there. How can these people exist while the union thugs play their power game?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
I don't think so either. I'm surprised so many people are unaware of what happens with union dues. That video is just one example.
My sister is a repulican who pays union dues. Her sole concern is providing for her family. She gladly pays union dues for the pay and benefits she receives.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My sister is a repulican who pays union dues. Her sole concern is providing for her family. She gladly pays union dues for the pay and benefits she receives.
What is a repulican? She would do better with those dues in her own pocket.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
What is a repulican? She would do better with those dues in her own pocket.
The dues aren't hurting her at all....not with her pay and benefits.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The dues aren't hurting her at all....not with her pay and benefits.
Well the USW has 6000 or so in the oil refining business without a paycheck for a month now and the Crown Manufacturing Company on strike for 17 months without a paycheck. I hope your sister puts a little money back when they tell her not to go to work.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Well the USW has 6000 or so in the oil refining business without a paycheck for a month now and the Crown Manufacturing Company on strike for 17 months without a paycheck. I hope your sister puts a little money back when they tell her not to go to work.
We were talking about union dues weren't we. Now you are changing the subject. Maybe you should start a new thread.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are parts of the nation, where you do not find a job, if you are not union. They have some trades locked up.

YUPPP, it is like a criminal racket.

The US ports are basically locked-up by Unions......don't play ball with them and you could have a major shutdown.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
Quote:
I don't think so either. I'm surprised so many people are unaware of what happens with union dues. That video is just one example.
The union I was in union dues NEVER went to political candidates. In fact I am pretty sure it is against federal law........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies