Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Former Sheriff Richard Mack is part of the "constitutional sheriff" movement and opposes Obamacare. He didn't sign up through the ACA website and has no insurance. He makes the absurd claim that "because they [he and wife] are self-employed, they have no medical insurance". In January 2015 he had a heart attack and last November his wife was hospitalized with serious medical issues. A GoFundMe account was launched and in 26 days has raised $17,033 for his medical bills.

Sheriff Richard Mack
GoFundMe - Sheriff’s Life on the Line
Uninsured Ex-Sheriff Who Fought O-care Struggles To Pay Medical Bills
So I am free to decide to assist this man in paying for his medical care or I can choose not to.

This is a problem because ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Again, maybe idiot liberals (and those that support it) would not have signed the ACA into law, he would have insurance...
Again, maybe unicorns could fly out of your ass. Anything is possible, I suppose, since you're just making up fantasies at this point.

The point is that thanks to Obamacare, 15 million people now have access to health insurance and can avoid this sheriff dude's fate. That's not everyone who needs it, and it isn't perfect, but that's exactly 15 million more people than conservatives ever helped with any sort of healthcare or other safety net coverage.

Only a conservative would argue that it's favorable to go bankrupt and beg for money rather than have an opportunity for expanded health insurance to cover major medical care.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So I am free to decide to assist this man in paying for his medical care or I can choose not to.

This is a problem because ......
Because not everyone is as high profile as this sheriff, and would not be successful in raising enough to pay their bills. So if the idea is to let everyone go begging to strangers to pay their medical bills instead of buying health insurance that is available to all, many bills are going to go unpaid (and those bills will then fall on the rest of us who are responsible and have purchased health insurance) and many people will end up going bankrupt and losing everything. Or they will simply not get the medical care they need and succumb to their illnesses.

Which seems to be the philosophy that the right favors.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:58 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So nobody has an answer whether he could even afford insurance...
All the left sees is he is a conservative, that refused insurance, or maybe he could not afford insurance....nobody knows...
And here's an idea: how about YOU post up some proof of your claim that he is so destitute that he couldn't afford ANY sort of health insurance.

And if he can't afford health insurance, then why the hell is he arguing against any effort for EXPANDING health insurance accessibility to people like him? 15 million previously-uninsured people can now avoid his fate under ACA! Is he some sort of an idiot who passionately argues against his own interest?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And here's an idea: how about YOU post up some proof of your claim that he couldn't afford ANY sort of health insurance.

And if he can't afford health insurance, then why the hell is he arguing against any effort for EXPANDING health insurance accessibility to people like him? 15 million previously-uninsured people can now avoid his fate under ACA! Is he some sort of an idiot who passionately argues against his own interest?
Yes. Such people are also known as Tea Party Conservatives.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Because not everyone is as high profile as this sheriff, and would not be successful in raising enough to pay their bills. So if the idea is to let everyone go begging to strangers to pay for their medical bills instead of buying health insurance that is available to all, many bills are going to go unpaid (and those bills will then fall on the rest of us who are responsible and have purchased health insurance) and many people will end up going bankrupt and losing everything. Or they will simply not get the medical care they need and succumb to their illnesses.

Which seems to be the philosophy that the right favors.
I can't really see that much of this in this thread. I'm seeing a lot more Ha Ha Ha .... look at what happened to someone who doesn't like BOcare! WHAT! He started a GoFundMe? The nerve of him! All good things must come from BO and his signature legislation!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:05 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Again, maybe unicorns could fly out of your ass. Anything is possible, I suppose, since you're just making up fantasies at this point.

The point is that thanks to Obamacare, 15 million people now have access to health insurance and can avoid this sheriff dude's fate. That's not everyone who needs it, and it isn't perfect, but that's exactly 15 million more people than conservatives ever helped with any sort of healthcare or other safety net coverage.

Only a conservative would argue that it's favorable to go bankrupt and beg for money rather than have an opportunity for expanded health insurance to cover major medical care.

How many people did it screw over and who are now paying way more and getting a lot less, lost their plan doctor? Lets find those numbers Then we can see how many were actually helped.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I can't really see that much of this in this thread. I'm seeing a lot more Ha Ha Ha .... look at what happened to someone who doesn't like BOcare! WHAT! He started a GoFundMe? The nerve of him! All good things must come from BO and his signature legislation!
Well, when you don your Tea-colored glasses every morning it's not surprising that that's all you would see. Most of us see a fool who put ideology above his family's health and best interests and got stung by his own foolishness. And now he is begging for help after refusing to help himself because he has, again foolishly, purposefully put himself in a bad situation.

He should try to pay his bills using his oh-so-pure Tea Party ideology as his legal tender and see how far that gets him.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I almost posted this exact same thing.

Yep, if he had bronze coverage, his liability would have been $6500 (or whatever). Instead of defaulting on $100's of thousands in debt, passing the bill onto the rest of us, he would have had some options:

-Rely on the goodness of friends, family, and community to help pay the bill
-Sell some possession without going bankrupt
-yes, possibly a gofundme campaign
-pull from his 401k (he's fiscally conservative, right?), penalty free for qualified medical emergency...

All of those are better than screwing himself (bankruptcy) and the rest of us (Mooching, as we pay the written off bill).

People that can't tell the difference between $6500 and $300,000+ may not be the most qualified to enter into a discussion about the benefits of insurance....
So if he pays for the bronze coverage and incurs $6500 in unpaid bills it's acceptable to do the Gofundme campaign.

But if he buys no insurance from BO's signature legislation and attempts to fund the whole bill through Gofund me he is a mooch.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Well, when you don your Tea-colored glasses every morning it's not surprising that that's all you would see. Most of us see a fool who put ideology above his family's health and best interests and got stung by his own foolishness. And now he is begging for help after refusing to help himself because he has, again foolishly, purposefully put himself in a bad situation.

He should try to pay his bills using his oh-so-pure Tea Party ideology as his legal tender and see how far that gets him.
As I am not a member of the Tea Party I can't very well put on glasses I don't have.

He has asked for assistance from people who are free to decline. Will BO's signature legislation be doing the same any time soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies