Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I'm a moderate when it comes to politics, but in Fox's defense, I bet not all of these are lies.

1. "In July 2010 the government said small businesses -- 60 percent -- will lose their health care, 45 percent of big business and a large percentage of individual health."

Sean Hannity, Nov. 11, 2013

Not a lie, but mistaken

Hannity was citing a report on NBC & forbes
The forbes report is quoting an article that doesnt actually name a single source. that is called bad journalism.

-
Quote:
2. "And President Obama has offered to pay out of his own pocket for the museum of Muslim culture out of his own pocket, yet it's the Republican National Committee who's paying for this."

Anna Kooiman, Oct. 5, 2013

LIE
-
agreed.

Quote:
3. Labor union president Andy Stern is "the most frequent visitor" at the White House.

Glenn Beck, Dec. 3, 2009

The visitor logs released on Oct. 30, 2009 by the White House, did show that Stern's name appeared 22 times, more than anyone else listed.
Those arent visitor logs, they are authorized entry logs. there is a difference as the Administration releases both. One is simply being authorized to come to the white house while the other is the actual list of people who came on that day.

In short Andy Stern was not the most frequent visitor, and Glen Beck isnt stupid. So there for he lied.

Quote:
4. "Far more children died last year drowning in their bathtubs than were killed accidentally by guns."

Tucker Carlson, Aug. 9, 2014

Technically, he's not lying if he's referring to the 0-14 year old age group. It's the 15-17 age group that really pushes the number to more gun deaths.

He is lying because he was talking about all kids. under 18 as the comment immediately followed a shooting at a high school.

Quote:
5. White House Political Director Patrick Gaspard once served as the "right-hand man" for Bertha Lewis, who heads up ACORN.

Steve Doocy, Sept. 29, 2009

Fox was basing this of a statement by ACORN founder Wayne Rathke. Rathke later said Gaspard did not work for ACORN. However Gaspard's brother did work for them and Patrick has ties to Bertha Lewis.
This is the point where i truly doubted believing you were in anyway unbiased.

Fox's claim was that Gaspard served as the right hand of Lewis, not "Gaspard's brother had ties to them"

You really reached to defend them there.

Quote:
6. "Look at the debt that has been accumulated in the last two years. It's more debt under this president than all those other presidents combined."

Sarah Palin, May 31, 2011

No, but as of today it is true, despite the current admin enjoying the lowest interest rates on public debt in our history.
and this is where I lost all faith.

First off, even if she had said that today, it still would be true as you would only be adding up the last 2 years, not all 6. And second, you cant just transplant a statement to a different time frame .

Quote:
I'm not going to bother going through the rest of them, but you could see the list and notice they're not technically all lies. Some are mistakes, misquotes, some misinformation, some exaggerating, some are lies. But BOTH sides do this. I would like to see someone from Fox compile the same kind of Vine against MSNBC and CNN. It shouldn't be hard to do. They should include clips involving atrocious race-baiting, like guests on MSNBC were doing around the Ferguson events.
all of them but one is indeed a lie and even that one is simply subject to knowledge.

Last but not least, i have yet to meet a moderate who actually watches FOX(or MSNBC for that matter). You adding in CNN also down plays your "moderate" assertion as well. People who sway one way or the other tend to use political buzz words and phrases that give them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually the video itself is a lie, because the quotes are going by so fast that you can't read them to tell whether they are really lies or not.

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I want that 6 seconds back. Actually for me it was more like 3-4, because once I realized that I couldn't read the captions, I closed the window.
Really ??? I doubt you closed the window on a 6 second video.

And no, just because the video is fast does not make it a lie. Did you forget the definition of the word ?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I thought his clip was pretty funny. The opening where Fox is taking on Comedy Central is kinda preciously humorous, lol.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 AM

519 posts, read 597,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The forbes report is quoting an article that doesnt actually name a single source. that is called bad journalism.

-

agreed.

Those arent visitor logs, they are authorized entry logs. there is a difference as the Administration releases both. One is simply being authorized to come to the white house while the other is the actual list of people who came on that day.

In short Andy Stern was not the most frequent visitor, and Glen Beck isnt stupid. So there for he lied.

He is lying because he was talking about all kids. under 18 as the comment immediately followed a shooting at a high school.

This is the point where i truly doubted believing you were in anyway unbiased.

Fox's claim was that Gaspard served as the right hand of Lewis, not "Gaspard's brother had ties to them"

You really reached to defend them there.

and this is where I lost all faith.

First off, even if she had said that today, it still would be true as you would only be adding up the last 2 years, not all 6. And second, you cant just transplant a statement to a different time frame .

all of them but one is indeed a lie and even that one is simply subject to knowledge.

Last but not least, i have yet to meet a moderate who actually watches FOX(or MSNBC for that matter). You adding in CNN also down plays your "moderate" assertion as well. People who sway one way or the other tend to use political buzz words and phrases that give them away.
I'll start off by saying I don't watch any of these news stations regularly. Actually, when I do go to check out a major story, I'll usually check CNN first. CNN & especially MSNBC are left biased. I've come across clips on youtube and other sites which is where I found those disgusting race baiting clips (several of them) from MSNBC during Ferguson. I consider myself a moderate because I don't start out favoring either side (although I do find myself tending to agree more with republicans, 70% of the time)

Since you went on the attack, I'll go through more of them briefly to show how some are half-truths/stretching of the truth/'where there's smoke there's fire' type comments.

1. NBC also reported the same story but the article was removed

2. I'll take your word on it that Beck didn't know the difference. Regardless, a union president was there 22 times. One of the most frequent visitors. That says something.

3. agree
4. Tucker Carlson- I can't believe I'm defending this guy, but he was talking about gun safety at home. How many 15-17 year olds even take baths?? Come on now, this is where I lost faith in YOU being unbiased. He's not lying.

5. Lewis even stated that they had good "relations" or something to that effect. I won't go further on this. Smoke = fire

7. "There is no good data showing secondhand smoke kills people."

John Stossel, Dec. 4, 2014

most likely stupidity
-
8. "Democrats are poised now to cause this largest tax increase in U.S. history."

Sarah Palin, Aug. 1, 2010

misinformation, however I think she meant if ALL the tax cuts expired

9. "The insurance industry is actually run by mostly Democrats."

Dana Perino, Oct. 31, 2013

no clue where that came from, stupid

10. The Obama administration "manipulated deportation data to make it appear that the Border Patrol was deporting more illegal immigrants than the Bush administration."

Lou Dobbs, July 1, 2014

A change in federal policy to process and remove people trying to enter the country illegally rather than just turn them around is inflating the numbers.

11. Some doctors say Ebola can be transmitted through the air by "a sneeze or some cough."

George Will, Oct. 19, 2014

He quoted scientists in MN but they were referring to advanced stages of the disease. Not a lie, but unlikely to spread this way.

12. Says the Texas State Board of Education is considering eliminating references to Christmas and the Constitution in textbooks.

Gretchen Carlson, March 10, 2010

lie

13. Because of President Barack Obama’s failure to "push job creation," the black unemployment rate in Ferguson, Mo., is three times higher than the white unemployment rate.

Lou Dobbs, Aug. 19, 2014

Mostly true depending on the census years and when looking at the county overall. but blaming Obama for something that has always existed is a personal opinion. I take it that Dobbs is saying Obama has done nothing to shrink that gap, which is true.

14. When White House communications director Anita Dunn said that Mao Tse-tung was "one of her favorite philosophers, only Fox News picked that up."

Bill O’Reilly, Oct. 23, 2009

Mostly true if you agree that this story should've been more significant to the other stations.

15. "The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day."

Michele Bachmann, Nov. 3, 2010

False, but this claim was originally made on CNN

16. "We researched to find out if anybody on Fox News had ever said you're going to jail if you don't buy health insurance. Nobody's ever said it."

Bill O’Reilly, Oct. 27, 2010

This is false, however the context that this was being used in was if you don't pay the penalty (tax) you could go to jail. What happens if you don't pay your taxes?

17. "If you make more than $250,000 a year … you only really take home about $125,000."

Steve Doocy, July 11, 2012

This is true for many individuals & households. If you factor in all taxes; Income, state, property, sales tax, gasoline tax, all excise taxes, local taxes, etc., people making $250k and under very likely take home half of their salary. It gets even worse the lower you go from $250k.

18. A Census Bureau worker says he was told to skew information to bring the unemployment rate down "as we headed into an election season."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Nov. 19, 2013

probably B.S., but it wouldn't surprise me considering everything else that happens in our "managed economy"

19. "Health care mandate will require imprisonment and fines for Americans who can’t afford to purchase insurance or pay hefty government penalties."

Patients First, Sept. 21, 2009

similar to #16, what happens if you don't have healthcare and don't pay your tax penalty

20. "And finally tonight, although it pains me to say this, Jon Stewart? Comedy Central? He was right. Now on his program last night, he mentioned that we had played some incorrect video on this program last week while talking about the Republican health care rally on Capitol Hill. He was correct, we screwed up, we aired some video of a rally in September, along with a video from the actual event. It was an inadvertent mistake, but a mistake nonetheless, so Mr. Stewart. you were right, we apologize. But by the way, I wanna thank you, and all your writers, for watching."

Sean Hannity, Nov. 12, 2009

Again, all the major news stations pull crap like this

21. "I don’t remember any terrorist attacks on American soil during that period of time (2000-08)."

Eric Bolling, July 14, 2011

he shouldn't have said this but still a petty accusation and stretching of the word "lie". Both sides look stupid here.

22. The United Way and Enroll America, in Coral Gables, Fla., had "navigators going door to door, knocking on the homes of the uninsured … helping them navigate through the different plans that are available.

Phil Keating, Oct. 1, 2013

no comment, don't care

23. Less than 10 percent of Obama's Cabinet appointees "have any experience in the private sector."

Glenn Beck, Nov. 30, 2009

he was basing this off of a column in Forbes by the chief investment officer at JP Morgan.

24. During the lead-up to the American Revolutionary War, "some guy in Boston got his head blown off because he tried to secretly raise the tax on tea."

Andrea Tantaros, Jan. 15, 2014

no comment, don't care

25. "American troops have never been under the formal control of another nation."

Karl Rove, March 23, 2001

false

26. "The 'Denver Post' has actually hired an editor to promote pot."

Bill O’Reilly, Dec. 9, 2013

misleading

27. "The amount of attention paid this week to Chris Christie makes the coverage of Benghazi ... pale in significance."

Karl Rove, Jan. 12, 2014

probably a biased opinion. How (or why is a better question) would anyone quantify this to prove it's a lie. petty

28. Liberals have figured out a Facebook algorithm and "all the people getting banned from Facebook are somehow conservatives."

Todd Starnes, April 17, 2014

false, fear mongering

29. Obamacare is "one big fat VA system."

Kimberly Guilfoyle, May 21, 2014

again, someone's opinion/interpretation can't be a "lie"

30. Says Gov. Rick Scott's approval ratings are up.

Brian Kilmeade, April 15, 2001

The polls they used to discredit this were allover the board.

31. "Under the Obama plan . . . all the health care in this country is eventually going to be run by the government."

Sen. Tom Coburn, March 4, 2009

Obviously not true, but it could happen down the road.

32. If you log into the government's Cash for Clunkers website (cars.gov) from your home computer, the government can "seize all of your personal and private" information, and track your computer activity.

Kimberly Guilfoyle, July 31, 2009

idiotic, don't care, ignore

33. The Massachusetts health care plan is "wildly unpopular" among state residents.

Laura Ingraham, May 12, 2011

Based on how you interpret the surveys and polls, this could go either way

34. "The Constitution simply does not authorize the federal government to own any of this land (in the Western states)."

Andrew Napolitano, April 23, 2014

lie

35. Says President Barack Obama is "sending a much larger (force) " to deal with Ebola "than ISIS is getting."

Brit Hume, Sept. 21, 2014

could go either way depending on if you don't count forces already on the ground

36. On climate change, "the temperature readings have been fabricated, and it's all blowing up in their (scientists') faces."

Dana Perino, Feb. 9, 2015

I believe there's some truth to this

37. Says President Barack Obama’s recent New York fundraising trip "cost between $25 million and $50 million."

Donald Trump, Oct. 13, 2014

lie

38. Under President Barack Obama, "8.3 (million) fewer Americans are working today than there were four years ago."

Sean Hannity, Jan. 20, 2013

look at discouraged workers & the labor participation rate. A lot of truth to this! although tough to come up with an exact figure. It's much higher even discounting boomers.

39. Seniors and the disabled "will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care."

Sarah Palin, Aug. 7, 2009

this wasn't even said on Fox news

40. New poll by YouGov shows that 7/10 people who voted for President Obama’s re-election in 2012 ‘regret’ doing so

Fox and Friend tweet, Feb. 19, 2014

disinformation

41. "NASA scientists fudged the numbers to make 1998 the hottest year to overstate the extent of global warming."

Steve Doocy, June 24, 2014

Too much political meddling has tainted climate "science" these days. Whether this is a lie or not, no one can say for sure except the people making the decision to adjust temperatures (usually higher or lower depending on what they want to show)

42. A new Colorado law "literally allows residents to print ballots from their home computers, then encourages them to turn ballots over to ‘collectors.’ "

Megyn Kelly, Oct. 21, 2014

not interested, ignore
43. The Affordable Care Act alters the "sensible doctor-patient-relationship-centered health care program ... we see today."

Sarah Palin, Nov. 24, 2013

opinions can't be lies

44. Since 1965, the United States has spent "untold trillions" yet the poverty rate hasn’t budged.

Bill O’Reilly, July 26, 2011

false, but the main point is that poverty programs aren't effective. I'd say this is mostly true.

45. Says Colorado food stamp recipients can use ATMs to get cash to buy marijuana.

Brian Kilmeade, Jan. 21, 2014

stupidity and a little cruel. Although people selling food stamps for cash happens all the time.

46. "Attorney General Eric Holder is involved in the dismissal of the criminal charges" against the New Black Panther Party for voter intimidation

Bill O’Reilly, July 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU

47. "Barack Obama had 150 days in the U.S. Senate where he was able to vote quite often 'present.' "

Sarah Palin, Feb. 6, 2010

more Palin quotes

48. "It will cost $50,000 per enrollee in Obamacare over the next 10 years."

Stuart Varney, Jan. 27, 2015

lie

49. "We're going to be looking at $8 billion a day that we're going to be pouring into foreign countries in order to import that make-up fuel that we're going to need to take the place of what we could have gotten out of the Gulf (of Mexico)."

Sarah Palin, May 1, 2013

way overstated figures (maybe monthly, not daily), but the premise is correct

50. "Why do we have automatic citizenship upon birth? We're the only country in the world that has it."

Glenn Beck, June 10, 2009

false

Fair and balanced? Definitely not (most of the time). Neither is any other media outlet. They all slant one way or the other, some to extremes. A lot of these are part-truths or exaggerations, some are opinions, and some are false. Despite the exaggerations to grab headlines, some of these statements address important aspects of issues and policies that should be considered.

Last edited by Howard Beale; 03-01-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 07:41 AM

23,549 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Amazing the joy in slice and dicing FOX while obama goes by unscathed, unnoticed, while his lies are strategicly intentional.

Oh obama didn't mean AQ in general he meant core AQ. He didn't mean you can keep your doctor.PERIOD, he meant you can keep your doctor is you can afford to keep your doctor. Running a deficeit is unpatriotic, Solyndra was an investmnent. Shovel ready jobs. The red line for Syria. The world is a more tranquil place. It was the video.

It is fun to argue nuance in speeches and words, however, the intentionally misleading information by the obama administration signals nefarious intent and is somehow ignored by the otherwise holier than thou minions.

Obama has an endless supply of lies for you to slice and dice after you run out of wordsmithing FOX.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
What amazes me is people watch the Jon Stewart entertainment show and think they are informed on the issues because they misconstrue this crappy little show as news.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I'll start off by saying I don't watch any of these news stations regularly. Actually, when I do go to check out a major story, I'll usually check CNN first. CNN & especially MSNBC are left biased. I've come across clips on youtube and other sites which is where I found those disgusting race baiting clips (several of them) from MSNBC during Ferguson. I consider myself a moderate because I don't start out favoring either side (although I do find myself tending to agree more with republicans, 70% of the time)

Since you went on the attack, I'll go through more of them briefly to show how some are half-truths/stretching of the truth/'where there's smoke there's fire' type comments.

1. NBC also reported the same story but the article was removed

2. I'll take your word on it that Beck didn't know the difference. Regardless, a union president was there 22 times. One of the most frequent visitors. That says something.

3. agree
4. Tucker Carlson- I can't believe I'm defending this guy, but he was talking about gun safety at home. How many 15-17 year olds even take baths?? Come on now, this is where I lost faith in YOU being unbiased. He's not lying.

5. Lewis even stated that they had good "relations" or something to that effect. I won't go further on this. Smoke = fire
First off, i applaud you for taking the time and going through all those still frames, that took some time(or there might be a site that already did that,either way good for you).

Second, MSNBC has never claimed to be anything other than Left wing. They dont pretend. CNN on the other hand is not. Some of their commentators indeed have left wing biases, but for the most part CNN sits back and lets their guest say what they want without even being interrupted unless they say something that is absolutely crazy.

That is why i tend to not true anyone calling themselves a moderate and yet label CNN In and of itself left wing. It doesnt make sense to anyone who has ever watch CNN, or seen their attempts to fire their more left wing pundits like Soledad and hire right wingers like Erin Burnett.

And based on your own comment, you arent a moderate. Moderate actually means you usually fall about 50/50(at least colloquially). The word you should be using is independent.

1. NBC posted a link to the article on their website and then removed it because they realized it had no evidence to back up its claims. Your argument really isnt defensible.

3. No, he wasnt there 22 times, that was my point. It was an authorized visitor log and he wasnt even the person with his name on the list the most. He also didnt top the visitor log list either. Beck was just wrong and as I have listened to Beck before , i know he isnt stupid enough to make that mistake. he was playing to his base which is anti union, which is again why i say you shouldnt use the term moderates. Being anti union is indicative to right wing ideology, not moderates.

4. I never claimed to be unbiased.

there are multiple flaws in your argument, here but before i explain them, i can admit i was wrong and that the subject matter was about 2 12 year olds.

the first problem is the fact that His argument is in and of itself a deflection, he is trying to argue that more kids die of baths than do of gun shots, making light of the left leaning argument

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...e-bathtubs-do/

politifact did their research and he is wrong. the only age group that he would ever be right about in this case would be 0-4 year olds. (which he clearly isnt talking about)

Your own argument is flawed in the same case, you cant say "how many 15 to 18 y/o's take a bath and then not say the same of every subsequent age groups.

5. No, smoke does not equal fire. Fox made a specific claim that they knew was a lie. Why exactly are you defending something that is blatantly so wrong ?????

Also, FOX News actually reads Palin's tweets and facebook post on their shows and agrees with them.( Its the only news station my gym shows )

Old 03-01-2015, 12:47 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
What amazes me is people watch the Jon Stewart entertainment show and think they are informed on the issues because they misconstrue this crappy little show as news.
Kinda like Fox. Ya know- Bill O'Reilly isn't really a news guy, he's an entertainer. All the criticism he is getting recently is unwarranted because he's not paid to to report, he's paid to entertain.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder what is worse?
a right leaning news agency misrepresenting the truth
or a
left leaning news agency totally ignoring any bad press about the Obama regime?

At least with FOX we can talk about what they report and get to the bottom of it and then form an opinion but if the story never comes out it is almost like it never happened.
1 - you do know that every study (Pew etc) shows the Jon Stewart watcher is far more informed about news than a fox news watcher

2 - and the irony, Jon Stewart is a comedy show that focuses on absurdity (and has attacked Obama) but he isn't a NEWS show in the way faux news is supposed to be.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM

501 posts, read 361,784 times
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...ds-daily-show/

Politifact did a breakdown of the Vine too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies