U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 AM

12 posts, read 82,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub2006 View Post
Basically it was a fight and a bottle was involved. I'm not exactly sure what the charge was but at first it was mentioned that it was assault in the 2nd degree (because of the bottle) but the injuries weren't down to that so that was the reason for saying that it could be less. I only spoke to the lawyer briefly.

Just got freaked out after spending 2 days in jail and couldn't face it. I was told there was a good chance of a small ammount of jail even on the lower charge but that it wasn't definite. I know it was stupid thing to do but I wasn't thinking right at the time - could only think about how to get home.

I only put up this message as it came up on the last discussion about how in some places everybody gets shackled no matter what and thought that it was strange.

As I said I'm starting to take care of things now as I do want to go back to the States.

Did you at least win the fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 AM

8 posts, read 37,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDiScala View Post
Dub:

Just to let you know that you were not singled out, as others have said above. A few years ago in a county in NY I got a DUI (please don't start with the monster vs. mistake argument anyone, I know how stupid it was). When I went to court for sentencing I was expected to get probation/license loss/fines/classes but I got jail instead, which was a shock to even my lawyer. I was fully shackled right there in court and led to the holding cells, got stripped and into uniform right there and at the end of the day got led out to a jail van tethered by chains to 2 other guys. I spent 3 months in county jail for the DUI and whenever I was out of my cell (except for group movement, like to chow hall, gym or showers) I was always fully searched and shackled for the whole time. So yes, in US penitentiaries it is almost always the rule rather than the exception that inmates will be shackled. It is definitely multi-faceted: security is the main concern, but the humiliation and feeling of control and ownership is supposed to scare you the heck away from jail forevermore. I learned a very hard lesson (I definitely deserved it and fully admit it) and I hope you get spared any more than you've faced already.
Thanks for that - sounds rough when you weren't expecting it. I'm going back to take care of things just after Christmas - have a lawyer there who has been dealing with things. My gf is American and I have some family over there plus I need to be able to go there for job reasons so I know I can't just ignore this any longer. I've been told to expect 60-90 days so I know it isn't forever but it is still a scary thought. When they mentioned I could get sent to Rikers - that scared the **** out of me as I had only heard about that in a bad way.

Your situation seems close enough to mine - didn't realise you would actually be shackled when you are in jail too - thought that was only when you were getting sent there.

Patty Mac,
Thanks for your post. I was just young and stupid I think - but I did injure someone. I always thought that people in jail were the 'bad guys' and didn't give it much thought but it hits you that it's not always that way when you end up in the same situation. Just want to get it over with now.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,313,310 times
I am curious as to why you didn't just stay and face the music. If this was your first offense, you owned up to your responsibility and showed true contrition then perhaps you could have received a probated sentence. I couldn't find any description of the incident or the injuries inflicted so I can't really say what the seriousness of the crime was but with so many penal facilities being so overcrowded and understaffed it seems likely that you would not have done any real jail time. As for the shackes, the shortage of jail staff is a big part of that.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 37,387 times
Honestly - I was a 19 year old student who just wanted to get away from it all and didn't fancy spending any more time in jail. These things come back to haunt you though.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:06 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,175,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub2006 View Post
Honestly - I was a 19 year old student who just wanted to get away from it all and didn't fancy spending any more time in jail. These things come back to haunt you though.
I can understand that. Of course in retrospect it was a bad choice, but if I would've found myself in a foreign county (and one that at the time most likely you didn't think you'd ever set foot in again) at 19 years old in a similar situation, I probably would have bolted just out of fear as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies