Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,594,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You were cuffed and shackled because some people that are in a court facing a judge have a history of doing stupid things. Things like attacking people (judges, court stenographers, witnesses, attorneys, police officers etc.) or trying to escape (either out the door or jumping through windows). If you were humiliated consider it a bonus. Like another poster said it may make you think twice next time.You were cuffed and shackled because some people that are in a court facing a judge have a history of doing stupid things. Things like attacking people (judges, court stenographers, witnesses, attorneys, police officers etc.) or trying to escape (either out the door or jumping through windows). If you were humiliated consider it a bonus. Like another poster said it may make you think twice next time. By the way I also posted a reply to your outstanding warrant post. You got jumped on pretty good over there as well. You see, I would say most people in the U.S. (excluding some liberals and cival libertarians) don't have much sympathy for people charged with crimes (misdeameanors or felonies) so if it's sympathy your looking for you might not get much. Once again, good luck to you, hope things work out. By the way I answered your other post as well. I think your question was pretty much answered in that thread.
I think my mind was stuttering when I posted this....SORRY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
who needs to hear the case? the law arrested him, let the court handle it. he's just a typical whiner that thinks he's being picked on. i'd like to hear from the person that made the charge. he doesnt know squat about the law or how to conduct himself thats obvious. the years have allowed our youth to think its ok to skirt justice, thank you liberal lawyers.
Hmmmmm someone that may be just a bit less tolerant than even I am. And someone that may just have a little issue with liberal lawyers also. Does that include liberal judges and might I dare say the A.C.L.U.? I LIKE IT. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on you! Points for you.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
You did something illegal and then ran from the law. HUGE mistake. BUT - You have decided to step up and take the responsibility of your own stupidity (your words) and get it sorted out. No more hiding. It's a step in the right direction.

Unless - you aren't doing it willingly. Meaning, you got caught and they arrested you. Then that's not being responsible - that just means your luck ran out.

Either way, it's being handled, maybe not the way you wanted, but you DID, in fact, commit a crime.

As far as how prisoners are handled - I wouldn't know. Never been down that road before.
Another good reply. Maybe a bit to gentile on some points but good just the same. I'll be keeping an eye on you as well! Points for you>

Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 39,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Dub, you were charged with a Class D Felony. I'd be curious to know what your 'crime' actually was? It clearly wasn't murder or involuntary manslaughter. What happened? And why did you flee the U.S. before the court date when you said your lawyer said you could get the charge most likely reduced to a misdemeanor of some kind? What were you charged with specifically?
Basically it was a fight and a bottle was involved. I'm not exactly sure what the charge was but at first it was mentioned that it was assault in the 2nd degree (because of the bottle) but the injuries weren't down to that so that was the reason for saying that it could be less. I only spoke to the lawyer briefly.

Just got freaked out after spending 2 days in jail and couldn't face it. I was told there was a good chance of a small ammount of jail even on the lower charge but that it wasn't definite. I know it was stupid thing to do but I wasn't thinking right at the time - could only think about how to get home.

I only put up this message as it came up on the last discussion about how in some places everybody gets shackled no matter what and thought that it was strange.

As I said I'm starting to take care of things now as I do want to go back to the States.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:41 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,968,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub2006 View Post
Basically it was a fight and a bottle was involved. I'm not exactly sure what the charge was but at first it was mentioned that it was assault in the 2nd degree (because of the bottle) but the injuries weren't down to that so that was the reason for saying that it could be less. I only spoke to the lawyer briefly.

Just got freaked out after spending 2 days in jail and couldn't face it. I was told there was a good chance of a small ammount of jail even on the lower charge but that it wasn't definite. I know it was stupid thing to do but I wasn't thinking right at the time - could only think about how to get home.

I only put up this message as it came up on the last discussion about how in some places everybody gets shackled no matter what and thought that it was strange.

As I said I'm starting to take care of things now as I do want to go back to the States.
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like if there weren't real injuries you should be able to solve this. Good for you though for beginning to address this. I hope it works out for you. And, really the worst that could happen is a small stay in jail, though...I think there's a good chance any lawyer representing you could point out that you came back voluntarily to face the music, and that would be on your side. I wish you luck.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:44 AM

No problem. Didn't mean to start a row over it. There were some injuries although nothing too serious. It's looking like they are going to look for 60-90 days and no additional charges if I go back voluntarily with the best outcome for me 30 days jail plus a fine. As I said I just want to get things sorted out and move on.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:52 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,968,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub2006 View Post
No problem. Didn't mean to start a row over it. There were some injuries although nothing too serious. It's looking like they are going to look for 60-90 days and no additional charges if I go back voluntarily with the best outcome for me 30 days jail plus a fine. As I said I just want to get things sorted out and move on.
Have you found out if the charges will stick in the Felony D or will they be reduced to misdemeanor? I'm asking only because I wonder if you'll be able to enter the USA as a convicted felon if it goes at the more serious charge? Have you asked any legal representation in America your options regarding that?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Yeah I think they will stay misdemeanor but with the jail time - but there would be no point in doing it if it ended up a felony charge as the whole point is to be able to go back after all this is over. My solicitor here has been working with a lawyer in New York.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Default shackles

Dub:

Just to let you know that you were not singled out, as others have said above. A few years ago in a county in NY I got a DUI (please don't start with the monster vs. mistake argument anyone, I know how stupid it was). When I went to court for sentencing I was expected to get probation/license loss/fines/classes but I got jail instead, which was a shock to even my lawyer. I was fully shackled right there in court and led to the holding cells, got stripped and into uniform right there and at the end of the day got led out to a jail van tethered by chains to 2 other guys. I spent 3 months in county jail for the DUI and whenever I was out of my cell (except for group movement, like to chow hall, gym or showers) I was always fully searched and shackled for the whole time. So yes, in US penitentiaries it is almost always the rule rather than the exception that inmates will be shackled. It is definitely multi-faceted: security is the main concern, but the humiliation and feeling of control and ownership is supposed to scare you the heck away from jail forevermore. I learned a very hard lesson (I definitely deserved it and fully admit it) and I hope you get spared any more than you've faced already.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM

17 posts, read 43,721 times
Dub,Im thankful for your post.It really bothers me when a little authority goes to someones head,of course there are people that dont deserve to be in the public and need to be in jail or prison that commit crimes but everyone should be treated humanely and as they would want to be treated!No one is perfect,especially some of the police officers that are dishing out there frustrations or Ego issues.I dont think humiliation is the answer or pepperspraying,bully billysticks,and stun guns are evil.I think this just makes bad matters worse.I think if someone is sentenced to do time it shouldnt include stripping them of there clothes,medical help ,food basic humane rights and I wish you the best of luck.The only one that has power to change your life for the positve is you and your maker.Now,Im not condoning your past but Im saying...Everything happens for a reason,nobodys perfect,Even if its a felony...You can use lifes experiences to help someone else,even if your not treated fairly by someone and you can still treat them fairly,Then you are the better person. my motto ;This to shall pass...and they can kiss my a..... : now seriously ..Thanks Im starting to ramble ...but, goodluck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies