Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:17 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

I think Asian students should turn anger into positive energy. Be strong, be better, much much MUCH better. This is the ONLY solution.

This b.s. rule or policy is DISCRIMINATION. Punish somebody based on race is DISCRIMINATION. What else can this be?!

However, don't blame black people for this policy. Black students have nothing to do with it.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think Asian students should turn anger into positive energy. Be strong, be better, much much MUCH better. This is the ONLY solution.

This b.s. rule or policy is DISCRIMINATION. Punish somebody based on race is DISCRIMINATION. What else can this be?!

However, don't blame black people for this policy. Black students have nothing to do with it.
They ARE much, much better. That is the thing. The point spread will continue to increase to keep up. Getting into Ivy league will be like getting a job at the post office.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Many of these Asian students have put their every waking moment into preparing for an elite education. How some here can think it is fair that a student who might not have applied him/her self as much as the high scoring student should somehow have an advantage over the high achiever is sad. An elite school should be for elite performers, period. Having different admission standards devalues the degree for all in the class that is being entitled to a score bump.
Everyone...again...EVERYONE that applies to an elite university put in the work. There's no proof that the guy who scored higher worked harder. He just may be either naturally smarter, tests better, or attended better schools.

You don't apply to Yale if you know you didn't put in the work. Hard work is no guarantee of entry.

It's ludicrous to expect universities to take in only the highest scores to the exclusion of every other facet used to determine educational worth...And overall worth to the school.

If that's the case, then you don't need an admissions department. A simple computer can determine admissions.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:25 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Why are they trying to blame black American people for this?
This is about the only thing you stated in your post that was accurate.

Quote:
They did a lot of free labor to build the US and were treated like crap.
False equivalence. DUCY?

Quote:
The goal of affirmative action was to give them a chance they earned to attend college.
False equivalence. DUCY?

Quote:
So if you are Asian and you are pissed because your life sucks and you feel that you can't get into Harvard no matter how hard you try...stop blaming black people. If Harvard wanted to let you in, they'd find a way.

So if you are a minority and you are pissed because your life sucks and you feel that you can't get into college no matter how hard you try...stop blaming white people. If college wanted to let you in, they'd find a way.

I hope I made my point on how ignorant your statement is.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
For the most part the victims of racial discrimination in college admittance do still get a degree, but from a worse school, and the fact that the vast majority of them still do get an education somewhere doesn't make the racism okay. Further, given the scale involved it's almost certain that across this country you can find some lower-income Asian students who didn't end up going to college because they were edged out by someone else who was otherwise less qualified but without the racism handicap from all the schools they applied to that meet full financial need, so saying not a single one is likely wrong.

You can cover your eyes and ears and pretend it's not true if you want. That's not in and of itself morally wrong as long as you aren't advocating for it or on the behalf of those committing it, which is.
Excuse me, but if you're THAT elite, you'll get into a good school.

If you're stupid enough to only apply to one school, then maybe you aren't all that bright.

So my point stands. No black person has ever kept a single Asian from getting a college education. Not once has it ever happened.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
What happens if you are half Asian and half black?

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
or half white?

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Thank you. This makes sense. My wording was strong, and I certainly don't mean "by any means (regardless.)" To set the record straight, I'm fairly neutral on affirmative action.

I agree that the issue is complex, and that we should look beyond SAT scores in addressing it, but I disagree that this policy will cause resentment, and your terminology seems contrary to reality. Blacks and Latinos have historically been disadvantaged, which is the basis for these policies. I see it as an incentive, and as many incentives go, there may be losers.

I agree that on the surface, such policies can be viewed as wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, I also agree that these policies can be beneficial. If the result is that we see more blacks and Latinos entering the professional world, then that is a benefit. I don't think Asians will suffer much, if at all.

If you want to call that Machiavellian, be my guest.
Since you're backing off from the "regardless of how it's accomplished", I can certainly take back the "Machiavellian".

For the record, and to distinguish my position from those posting here from a politically conservative POV, I'm probably about as far left as you can find among regular posters on this site.

In my ideal world, post-secondary education would be considered a universal right for every American student. The basic problem I have with affirmative action, and related policies; is that they begin with the false premise that a given resource (in this case, education) is limited, and thus needs to be somehow rationed. The idea that we can't afford to educate our entire populace is nearly as absurd as arguing that we can't afford to provide health care for every American.

I want every student to flourish, and I want that process to begin as soon as a child begins their education. However, I don't want to hold back those students who, for whatever reasons, have the ability to go beyond their counterparts. The idea of students working hard, and of their families sacrificing in order to provide the best possible education for that student, being met with discrimination; is something I find morally untenable. I do think resentment of this kind of manipulation is an inevitable part of human reaction. Hopefully, that resentment will be directed at the systemically corrupt power structure, rather than at others who are caught-up in that same vile system.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I suppose most Blasians figure it out.

And there sure are a hell of a lot of them.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No black person has ever kept a single Asian from getting a college education. Not once has it ever happened.
Well, if the black person shoots the Asian the Asian is not likely to get a college education being that he is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies