Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I suppose most Blasians figure it out.

And there sure are a hell of a lot of them.
But do they only get 180 extra points?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Thank you. This makes sense. My wording was strong, and I certainly don't mean "by any means (regardless.)" To set the record straight, I'm fairly neutral on affirmative action.

I agree that the issue is complex, and that we should look beyond SAT scores in addressing it, but I disagree that this policy will cause resentment, and your terminology seems contrary to reality. Blacks and Latinos have historically been disadvantaged, which is the basis for these policies. I see it as an incentive, and as many incentives go, there may be losers.

I agree that on the surface, such policies can be viewed as wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, I also agree that these policies can be beneficial. If the result is that we see more blacks and Latinos entering the professional world, then that is a benefit. I don't think Asians will suffer much, if at all.

If you want to call that Machiavellian, be my guest.
First you say that you don't care about this, then you write some long diatribe about it. Odd. But anyway, who is "Latino?" Cameron Diaz? Emilio Estevez? Jerry Garcia? Eva Mendes? GEORGE ZIMMERMAN? They all seem pretty "white" to me, and of course Zimmerman was deemed a white man for political reasons. Regardless, most people who fall under this "latino" label voluntarily moved to this country, or are the progeny of people moved here. To give special treatment to people who moved to this country because this country has ostensibly been so bad to them doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That goes for African immigrants and their children too, of course.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
What happens if you are half Asian and half black?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
or half white?
Known several people who fall under these. Knew even more back in school when this was a topic of conversation. Either you are one of the people who don't mark the boxes, or if you aren't one of those people you mark whatever the other half is. I know absolutely no one who is half Asian and has said that they checked that box.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 03-01-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everyone...again...EVERYONE that applies to an elite university put in the work. There's no proof that the guy who scored higher worked harder. He just may be either naturally smarter, tests better, or attended better schools.

You don't apply to Yale if you know you didn't put in the work. Hard work is no guarantee of entry.

It's ludicrous to expect universities to take in only the highest scores to the exclusion of every other facet used to determine educational worth...And overall worth to the school.

If that's the case, then you don't need an admissions department. A simple computer can determine admissions.
Well if that's the case. Why don't we have affirmative action for sports at universities. African Americans are over represented in both football and basketball. But we've all seen these top "blue chip" prospects flame out once they get to the colleges.

And we've seen plenty of "walk ons" make it and be successful in college football and basketball with no scholarship.

Why don't we set aside automatic scholarships for the underrepsented white guy or Asian guy on a division 1 team?

It's the same exact analogy people use to justify academic admissions based on affirmative action. It should be applied across the board to include sports programs as well.

Fair is fair.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:17 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
They ARE much, much better. That is the thing. The point spread will continue to increase to keep up. Getting into Ivy league will be like getting a job at the post office.
You mean for a Asian at the bottom of a race normalizing scale getting one of the unofficial set aside seats for their racial category? The only factor used by the US Postal Service is to give US military veterans a bump in points. Those hired by the service scored highest on the last test without other factors like high school sports teams participation or joining a social club which holds one charity event to look good to college admissions officers

Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
Not surprising that Negroes and Latinos support this.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Not surprising that Negroes and Latinos support this.

The start of Hispanic and black privilege?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies