Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 04:32 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,399,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Expansion of the money supply is not a core cause of inflation because the same entity that issues the currency controls the demand for it (interest rates). That's how the Fed picks and chooses its target inflation rate.

Quote:
Wong.. There is no economic growth without money being circulated..

If I have $100 in my pocket and cut my own grass, this creates $0 increase in the GDP, but if I decide to spend it and pay you to do it, it increases the GDP by $100.
That $100 was already created as a debt, so that doesn't really address the argument. That does explain why devaluing currency and taxation are sound economic principles however (both discourage hoarding).

Quote:
It didnt need the creation of new money to cause economic activity..
Of course it did. You didn't create that $100.

Quote:
WRONG, there is only $1.29 trillion in circulation.

ooh I'm done with you.. You just make things up as you go along and its all WRONG...
No, there is roughly $18 trillion in circulation between the private and foreign sectors. (whatever the debt number is for today)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,058,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, there is roughly $18 trillion in circulation between the private and foreign sectors. (whatever the debt number is for today)
ooh give it a break. our debt is now tied to foreign currency creation? just stop making things up..

I cant even read your crap anymore.. its nonsense, all of it..

Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,399,105 times
Quote:
ooh give it a break. our debt is now tied to foreign currency creation? just stop making things up..

I cant even read your crap anymore.. its nonsense, all of it..
Please stop misrepresenting my arguments.

Quote:
Public Debt = Private Sector Wealth + Foreign Sector Holdings of U.S. Debt

Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,058,687 times
Quote:
Please stop misrepresenting my arguments.
Oh just stop.. the equation you posted

Public Debt = Private Sector Wealth + Foreign Sector Holdings of U.S. Debt

is the total debt, but we're discussing the amount of currency in circulation, and your argument that debt = circulation.

Which is BULL CRAP..

There is $1.29 Trillion in circulation, up from $1.2 Trillion 2 years ago

We have $1T in new debt but only $90 Billion in new currency circulated in the last 2 years.

They are unrelated, despite your claims..

If you needed increased debt to increase GDP, we wouldnt have had an economic boom in the late Clinton years as public debt decreased.

You are just posting hogwash and thinking its relevant

Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,242,010 times
Quote:
According to the CPAC poll.

Yep, that's right. Cutting Federal Spending and "getting rid of immigrants (#2)" are the top priorities for conservatives.

Nothing about economic growth, education, repairing our infrastructure, or health care?
They really should have let Bush/Cheney in on this before they borrowed all that money from China for their idiotic war.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 733,842 times
Conservatives are all for big spending on corporate welfare and a bloated militaryand could care less about the national debt.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,658,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Conservatives are all for big spending on corporate welfare and a bloated militaryand could care less about the national debt.
And that's the way it's been for probably 100 years now. Conservatives hold the "small government" narrative, but all it really means is cutting the safety net. And they keep saying it because it works. Look at all the people who come on here talking about deadbeats on welfare. Welfare spending was 9% of the 2015 budget, and the rate of fraud is believed to be around 2%. Not 2% of the 9%, but 2% of the entire 100% that's spent on welfare. Put another way, for every $1 in taxes that funds the federal budget, 9 cents goes toward welfare. That means that a little less than two-tenths of a penny of that $1 is lost to fraud. That's what everyone is so up in arms about. Two-tenths of a penny.

Others complain about foreign aid. That's about 1% of the budget. One penny of your dollar.

Meanwhile, we spend about twice as much on corporate welfare -- i.e., subsidies -- than we do on social welfare. And that's not even including all the massive corporate tax breaks that leave gigantic companies like GE and Boeing essentially owing nothing in taxes -- nor does it include all the money they hide overseas. Guess who has to make up the tax shortfall? The middle class.

THAT is where people's outrage should lie. Not with poor people who are daily being reamed by these massive corporations who are raking in record profits. The top 1% to 2% are seeing all the recent monetary growth, while unemployment and underemployment remain a problem for everyone else.

The biggest place we can slash spending is in the military. We spend more on war than the next eight nations combined, and no other nation on the planet spends as much as we do. Our foreign policy is an unmitigated disaster. We can't bomb the world into peace, and we can't destroy ideologies with military might. The military is for NATIONAL defense, not for subduing every bad guy around the planet, or dropping drone bombs on weddings and rescue parties, or assassinating American citizens, or running kill lists from the Oval Office. James Madison warned that liberty cannot survive in a nation that's at perpetual war, and we can see that in the way our civil liberties are being choked to death in the name of national security. Yet no one will have that discussion at the national level. Look at the flap over funding DHS -- where was the discussion about whether we even need this department? It's just taken as a given now. The two major parties are virtually identical when it comes to foreign policy and civil liberties, yet those are the two things we desperately need to force a national conversation on.

If I have to pay taxes, I want them to go toward helping people, not killing them. Universal health care and subsidized higher education -- I'd pay for those in a heartbeat. Social welfare is a pittance in the budget. Establishing a guaranteed minimum income for every American -- an idea that goes all the way back to Thomas Paine -- would help keep people afloat when they fall on hard times and could do away with a lot of redundancy in social programs.

We could manage to do most, if not all, of this by cutting corporate subsidies, closing tax loopholes, penalizing the hoarding of money overseas, and enacting deep cuts in military spending.

The problem is that the Ds and Rs all play for the same team, so this will never happen. Sure, there are some superficial differences between the parties, but both of them are drifting to the right. Today's mainstream Democrats are probably about where Nixon was on the political spectrum 40 years ago. Today's Republicans, meanwhile, would probably crucify Reagan as being a liberal.

Last edited by Adrian71; 03-03-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 AM

88,922 posts, read 44,739,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
And that's the way it's been for probably 100 years now. Conservatives hold the "small government" narrative, but all it really means is cutting the safety net. And they keep saying it because it works. Look at all the people who come on here talking about deadbeats on welfare. Welfare spending was 9% of the 2015 budget, and the rate of fraud is believed to be around 2%. Not 2% of the 9%, but 2% of the entire 100% that's spent on welfare. Put another way, for every $1 in taxes that funds the federal budget, 9 cents goes toward welfare. That means that a little less than two-tenths of a penny of that $1 is lost to fraud. That's what everyone is so up in arms about. Two-tenths of a penny.

Others complain about foreign aid. That's about 1% of the budget. One penny of your dollar.

Meanwhile, we spend about twice as much on corporate welfare -- i.e., subsidies -- than we do on social welfare.
Really? Identify the supposed corporate welfare in the following:

http://www.cbpp.org/files/4-14-08tax.pdf

Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 AM

26,433 posts, read 15,029,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There should be no surprise that the right-wing's priorities are self-centered, callous and reactionary. The "conservative" label has become nothing more than a childish attempt to hide one's craven nature under what used to be a respectable label.

You nailed it.

Obama is self-centered, callous, and reactionary.

That craven lowlife as a candidate proposed a net federal spending cut -- and all of his supporters, who I can only assume were all far right wing tea party types cheered, chanted, and fainted!!!

Obama:
Quote:
"But there is no doubt that we've been living beyond our means and we're going to have to make some adjustments.

Now, what I've done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.
"

Old 03-04-2015, 05:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,097,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post

Thank you. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies