Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

The idiot claims the pipeline oil bypasses the US.

Lie. Among others.

Obama’s claim that Keystone XL oil ‘bypasses the U.S.’ earns Four Pinocchios

Obama’s claim that Keystone XL oil ‘bypasses the U.S.’ earns Four Pinocchios - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:58 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Sad thing is there will be no consequence to Obama's latest lie.

If the media doesn't raise this as an issue it is dead in the water. that's while propaganda machines are so important to regimes that can't reveal the truth and have to mislead people to forward their agenda.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
I recall when the Alaska pipeline was being proposed, environmentalist were screaming that it would destroy the wildlife in Alaska, disrupt migration paths and generally cause all kinds of problems. After working on the North Slope for a couple of years there was no drop in wildlife in the area, there was no real impact on the wildlife in the area.

The environmentalist are saying the same thing about this pipeline. One thing they did learn from the Alaska pipeline, they can construct a pipeline that is environment friendly. The environmentalist propaganda is just that, propaganda. Most of the people who object to the construction of this pipeline don't even live in the states where it's going to be constructed.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Washington Post is a right-wing mouthpiece. The article is very slanted (just as Obama's speech was).

The reality is that the pipeline does not create many US Jobs. Transporting oil via a pipeline takes a small maintenance crew. The production is happening in Canada. The refining will happen in the US, but increasing productivity does not require more hands in a process environment. Perhaps true that some of the byproduct will be sold in the US market, but it is widely recognized that the primary product (gas/fuel) is to be exported.

I have not heard all of Obama's speeches, but in his State of the Union, he said he was not against it, just that it did not (and should not) take priority over projects that build jobs in the USA. I agree with that.

IMO, why not build pipeline infrastructure in Marcellus? Right now they are having to truck the gas to processing stations. The stations are not even built in NEPA yet. Shell has plans to build one major unit, but it seems the focus should be primarily on building infrastructure that supports US production. Keystone does not.

Why would any US Citizen want to support a pipeline that moves foreign product before we take care of our own product? I just don't get that. (I'm not really looking to hear from people that hate any carbon fuel. I'm not one of them, I just want to focus on boosting the US Economy before we invest in boosting foreign economies. Even Canada.)

Old 03-02-2015, 01:23 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I recall when the Alaska pipeline was being proposed, environmentalist were screaming that it would destroy the wildlife in Alaska, disrupt migration paths and generally cause all kinds of problems. After working on the North Slope for a couple of years there was no drop in wildlife in the area, there was no real impact on the wildlife in the area.

The environmentalist are saying the same thing about this pipeline. One thing they did learn from the Alaska pipeline, they can construct a pipeline that is environment friendly. The environmentalist propaganda is just that, propaganda.
I mostly agree with you. (Have been inside several of the pumping stations, and have travelled the haul road, all on business with the pipeline).

But to be fair, I would not call Valdez "No real impact".

That being said, and to also be fair, I was BLOWN AWAY at the environmental awareness of the pipeline. Just to go on a ride-along as a business visitor, I had to go through a lot of training. I fully agree that they go above and beyond to prevent environmental impact. But I also understand that if I want to keep driving my car (and I do), that there is something more than zero-risk involved....

Old 03-02-2015, 02:32 PM

7,500 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Washington Post is a right-wing mouthpiece. The article is very slanted (just as Obama's speech was).

The reality is that the pipeline does not create many US Jobs. Transporting oil via a pipeline takes a small maintenance crew. The production is happening in Canada. The refining will happen in the US, but increasing productivity does not require more hands in a process environment. Perhaps true that some of the byproduct will be sold in the US market, but it is widely recognized that the primary product (gas/fuel) is to be exported.

I have not heard all of Obama's speeches, but in his State of the Union, he said he was not against it, just that it did not (and should not) take priority over projects that build jobs in the USA. I agree with that.

IMO, why not build pipeline infrastructure in Marcellus? Right now they are having to truck the gas to processing stations. The stations are not even built in NEPA yet. Shell has plans to build one major unit, but it seems the focus should be primarily on building infrastructure that supports US production. Keystone does not.

Why would any US Citizen want to support a pipeline that moves foreign product before we take care of our own product? I just don't get that. (I'm not really looking to hear from people that hate any carbon fuel. I'm not one of them, I just want to focus on boosting the US Economy before we invest in boosting foreign economies. Even Canada.)
It's obvious you have no clue what your talking about. Start researching and get back to us when you do. Use our (Alaska) pipeline as a basis for your studies. Don't forget to include ancillary jobs created.

As far as taking care of our own may I suggest we build a fence across the Mexican boarder then round up illegals and send them back. They are more than welcome to come back if the follow the process. Oh, and shutdown the TPP talks Osama is in. That will do more to destroy unions and American jobs than NAFTA did.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:37 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
The funny thing is that the KXL pipeline wouldn't even be built with US steel and parts (for the most part). It's about as un-American an infrastructure project as could be dreamed up.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The idiot claims the pipeline oil bypasses the US.

Lie. Among others.

Obama’s claim that Keystone XL oil ‘bypasses the U.S.’ earns Four Pinocchios

Obama’s claim that Keystone XL oil ‘bypasses the U.S.’ earns Four Pinocchios - The Washington Post
Sure, he's a liar.

Now, can we also fact check the dubious Republican claim that Keystone XL will bring "millions and MILLIONS" of jobs for Americans?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:41 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
What does being American have to do with it at all? If it is not a significant environmental threat, why should it be impeded. If it is a significant threat, then it should be further looked over.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Washington Post is a right-wing mouthpiece.
Aren't you even a little embarrassed here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies