Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hillary was right or wrong?
I lean left - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 32 23.88%
I lean left - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 33 24.63%
I lean right - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 64 47.76%
I lean right - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 5 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Hillary not using a government issued email isn't really a big issue to me.
Of course not. None of us ever expected you to bash a liberal or a Democrat in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
So what? All the previous Secretaries of State, including Colin Powell, did the same.
Equivocation is a logical fallacy. Try again.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Oh, you called me a leftist. That's certainly not the typical response from the right...

Look, I just fail to see how this is the most controversial issue that we could talk about. Should she have done it? Probably not. But is this really that big of a deal? I say again, no matter what email was used, the government would have no obligation to be upfront about anything it does anyway. So why get upset? Slap her hand with a ruler, make her use a new email, and call it day. And I'd say the same about a conservative doing this as well. Rules are rules, but let's be real; some rules are less important than others.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Have you ever even heard of the Freedom of Information Act?

http://www.foia.gov/

Old 03-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I am waiting for Mr Romney to let his e-mails and hard drives from his and his staff computers come out. Oh wait that was last time.
1) Mitt Romney has never been a federal employee.
2) Equivocation is a logical fallacy.
3) Intellectual dishonesty is embarrassing.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The law was passed and signed in Nov 2014, Hillary left office in Feb 2013... just sayin'

Actually it was passed July 4, 1966, called the Freedom of Information Act.
This act would have to incorporate e-mail when it became a way of documented communication.
The Act defines agency records, outlines mandatory disclosure procedures and grants nine exemptions to the statute, e-mail not being around in 1966, it is not one of the 9 exemptions allowed.

To be more definitive.... in 1996, not NOV. 2014: The Electronic Freedom of Information Act was made law.
Don't believe me?

The Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996

The Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996 (E-FOIA) stated that all agencies are required by statute to make electronic records(e-mail), created by the agency on or after November 1, 1996, available electronically. Agencies must also provide electronic reading rooms for citizens to use to have access to records. Given the large volume of records and limited resources, the amendment also extended the agencies' required response time to FOIA requests. Formerly, the response time was ten days and the amendment extended it to twenty business days.(Lois Lenner got a pass)

Bush passed the OPEN Government Act in 2007, further allowing access.

The only thing that happened in 2014 was the FOIA Oversight and Implementation ACT and it was tabled.
Collin Powell didn't use e-mail. He was OLD SCHOOL and telephone or radio communication was his methods.

Nice try though. Another low information voter put back under their rock!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
So what? All the previous Secretaries of State, including Colin Powell, did the same.
Did you read the post where this is?

"Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, who served from 2001 to 2005, used personal email to communicate with American officials and ambassadors and foreign leaders."

There is a gov't email system FOR A REASON. If you don't understand why, ther is no reason to discuss this further with you.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I voted for defend, though I wouldn't say I defend it. I really just don't care.

Is something like this that big of a deal, really? If it's some policy violation, just tell her to forward what she has to an official email, and stop using it. The NSA probably has access to all that information anyway, so who cares? Personal or private email; the information is still shielded form the people.

This seems like a non-issue.
Lois Lerner would have LOVED NOT have had gov't email!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Have you ever even heard of the Freedom of Information Act?

FOIA.gov - Freedom of Information Act

Talk about equivocation.

Mrs Clinton followed both the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. Her e-mails have been preserved. She's provided the e-mails as requested.

Clinton used personal email for State Department work

You will note that Mr Kerry is the first Secretary of State to use a government e-mail account to conduct the bulk of his correspondence.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Who was the 1st Sec of State to ever use the Govt e-mail system? Oh yeah, that would be John Kerry.
How in the world do you come up with THAT?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
The more I read about this, the more overblown this is beginning to sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies