Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Anyone should be able to adopt if they clear all of the required checks.

Taxes should be filed individually. There should be no benefit/downside for being married and/or having kids.

Make a will.
How about those who don't make a will - because, let's be honest, many people don't. In the absence of a will, should one's spouse be considered an heir, or a legal stranger?

And how about the other legal rights of marriage such as:

• Spousal testimonial privilege
• Gaining the right to sue for the wrongful death of your spouse in a court of law
• The right to sponsor your foreign spouse for a spousal green card
• Being able to live in base housing with your military spouse and shop at the commissary

Should these legal rights just be done away with along with civil marriage?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How about those who don't make a will
Please let's be clear though: Making a will is not the same as JTROS. JTROS avoids probate, among other things. That is a normal right granted to married couples. Withholding that from same-sex couples effectively means that a special right is unfairly being granted to heterosexuals.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Young people do not vote as much as old people and for what ever bizarre reason old conservatives care about this. I would imagine there are several conservative politicians who'd roll over on it if it would not cost them a primary.

Old people are smart enough to realize that same-sex marriage is a ruse designed to use the unconstitutional assumed powers of the courts to make homosexual sex legally indistinguishable from heterosexual sex.

Essentially what the courts are doing in case after case by overturning state DOMAs, many of them amendments to state constitutions, is telling the voters that they are not allowed to think that way.

As for this being a conservative issue, there really isn`t a liberal vs conservative battle going on in the US.

It is described that way for the benefit of low-information types, but the truth is that we all want essentially the same things but we would achieve them in different ways.

The real battle is between those who believe we must get to where we are going by following the Constitution and those who would put their trust in political activism and the courts apart from the normal legislative and amendment processes.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
So you believe the government should force rape victims to carry to term.

That`s an interesting question.

The issue with at-will abortion is the actions of the biological parents in placing the developing child in a position of biological dependency without the child`s prior permission to do so.

In the case of forcible rape, the child and mother are both placed in their respective situations without either party granting permission to the rapist to create this situation.

For this reason, conception involving forcible rape is a wholly separate issue from at-will abortion.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:04 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That`s an interesting question.

The issue with at-will abortion is the actions of the biological parents in placing the developing child in a position of biological dependency without the child`s prior permission to do so.

In the case of forcible rape, the child and mother are both placed in their respective situations without either party granting permission to the rapist to create this situation.

For this reason, conception involving forcible rape is a wholly separate issue from at-will abortion.
I am a very ardent supporter of at will abortion, and will argue that as much as you want, perhaps not in this thread, but let me pose a question.

The person I was responding to was very clear in stating abortion is murder. Thus with that logic, how is it possible to have a separate issue in the form of a rape exception from abortion available on demand?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
I am a very ardent supporter of at will abortion, and will argue that as much as you want, perhaps not in this thread, but let me pose a question.

The person I was responding to was very clear in stating abortion is murder. Thus with that logic, how is it possible to have a separate issue in the form of a rape exception from abortion available on demand?
The answer is you cannot!

If you are against one but not the other, then you are a hypocrite! It's either murder or it's not.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The answer is you cannot!

If you are against one but not the other, then you are a hypocrite! It's either murder or it's not.
That is the only logical answer. I would also argue the same is true for severe birth defects like anencephaly, if you believe abortion is murder doesn't that mean you have to carry anecephalic pregnancies to term?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
That is the only logical answer. I would also argue the same is true for severe birth defects like anencephaly, if you believe abortion is murder doesn't that mean you have to carry anecephalic pregnancies to term?
Or maybe ectopic ones that will likely kill you!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Younger conservatives, assuming they are only fiscally conservative should vote libertarian until the social conservative trolls in the GOP wither and die and then the backward gay bashing, anti abortion, drug warrior agenda will be a thing of the past.
If you have a whole lot of abortion you won't have very many young people, will you? Ask Europe.
But anyway, I applied to some schools recently. Several asked me my sexual orientation. Why are they asking this? They must give homosexuals special treatment in admissions, that's the only possible answer. And I've seen job fairs that are only open to homosexuals as well. And those are some "rights and protections" that I'll never be able to get behind (no pun intended.)

Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I applied to some schools recently. Several asked me my sexual orientation. Why are they asking this? They must give homosexuals special treatment in admissions, that's the only possible answer.
Really? That the only possible answer?

You can't do a little critical thinking and come of with some other potential answers? Perhaps you should try - it's a skill you'll need if you get into any of these schools you've applied to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies