Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Prison proves it.

Ben Carson: Prisons prove being gay is a choice - CNN.com

Two questions:

(1) Why does Dr. Carson believe that he is correct in the face of all existing scientific evidence to the contrary? I've never met a gay person who says their sexuality is a choice. The overwhelming anecdotal evidence opposes Dr. Carson's view as well. Why does Dr. Carson think he's correct when the rest of his profession, and the overwhelming majority of gays say he is wrong?

(2) How can a medical Dr. use the ridiculous prison example-- textbook false causation-- to justify this? For a world renown surgeon and intelligent man, he's willing to come across as a simpleton on this issue... What's behind it?

To be clear, this discussion is about Dr. Carson and his thinking process... If you want to debate whether homosexuality is a choice, you're welcome to do so in 1987.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Prison proves it.

Two questions:

(1) Why does Dr. Carson believe that he is correct in the face of all existing scientific evidence to the contrary? I've never met a gay person who says their sexuality is a choice. The overwhelming anecdotal evidence opposes Dr. Carson's view as well. Why does Dr. Carson think he's correct when the rest of his profession, and the overwhelming majority of gays say he is wrong?

(2) How can a medical Dr. use the ridiculous prison example-- textbook false causation-- to justify this? For a world renown surgeon and intelligent man, he's willing to come across as a simpleton on this issue... What's behind it?

To be clear, this discussion is about Dr. Carson and his thinking process... If you want to debate whether homosexuality is a choice, you're welcome to do so in 1987.
(1) Because he is trying to stake out a position that will endear him to hard right religious conservatives for the GOP primary.

(2) Because its politics and something the religious right wants to hear.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Moron. Why do people keep listening to this jerk.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Prison proves it.

Two questions:

Because he thinks for himself. It's interesting that you use "textbook false causation" in your post, yet here you are using textbook appeal to popularity. Why are you using a logical fallacy in the same post that you accuse someone else of using a logical fallacy?
Quote:
Perhaps because Dr Carson doesn't use your opinions of what a simpleton is when he makes decisions.
Quote:
So despite the fact that you've shown the evidence for homosexuality not being a choice is either anecdotal or just going along with the generally accepted ideas without any actual proof, you still say that people who don't believe what you believe are backwards simpletons. Perhaps we should be having a discussion about the faulty thinking process of mlassoff rather than Ben Carson.

To be clear, I don't believe homosexuality is a choice. I just object to your use of logical fallacies and arrogance.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
He doesn't appear to understand that there is a difference between being homosexual and performing homosexual acts.

I hate mayonnaise. I can't stand the stuff. If you drop a ham sandwich on the deserted island I've been starving on, I'll be eating that mayonnaise without hesitation.

Being homosexual means that you are attracted to the opposite sex. Homosexual sex in prison is just physical sexual gratification out of desperation.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Prison proves it.

Two questions:

You OBVIOUSLY DON'T agree with him.

Might YOUR opinions be biased?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Moron. Why do people keep listening to this jerk.

after Obama, I say Ben Carson is an upgrade.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
is this what the 2016 Presidential election is going to come down to? meanwhile the real issues won't be discuss.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
is this what the 2016 Presidential election is going to come down to? meanwhile the real issues won't be discuss.
Totally. As unimportant sub-humans, gay people and their constitutional rights are complete non-issues.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:34 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
You can't say Carson isn't entertaining.

Ben, I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies