Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I actually read the article. The headline is the only part of that whole article that uses the word racist; the rest of the article is more or less just a history lesson, with scientific studies thrown in there to show that there's no 'correct' amount of meals to eat in a day, and that fasting might actually be beneficial. So clearly, the headline is just there to provoke and shock, in order to gain more readers. In that, I think she succeeded (as evidenced by this thread). There isn't anything overt or even subtly racist about the article; she doesn't even condemn the settlers. Just a shock headline to gain eyeballs, nothing more.
So then she is guilty of hurting the victims of real racism by watering down the term and contributing to the ammunition of people who use accusations of race baiting to downplay the existence of true racism in society.

As a representative of a popular liberal site, she should be sensitive to those issues and also to not making exaggerated statements that will harm the credibility of the site she's working for. She deserves to be immediately fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 12:46 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
"ISIS (may) have roots in climate change."

Many scientists and citizens blame global warming for odd weather patterns, like late/lack of snow in the Colorado area.

In the ski business, there are no climate deniers | Grist
Global warming takes bite out of Colorado ski season | The Colorado Independent

"In Syria from 2006-2010 an unprecedented drought changed the country from a groundwater-intensive breadbasket to a food importer. Farmers abandoned their homes, school enrollment in some areas plummeted 80 percent, and those people flooded into Syria’s cities (which were already struggling to sustain an influx of more than 1 million refugees from the conflict in neighboring Iraq.)"

"The Syrian government largely ignored these warning signs, helping sow discontent that ultimately spawned violent protests ... A drought-triggered humanitarian crisis (sparked the 2011 civil war), and eventually, ISIS.

"A new study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Science provides the clearest evidence yet that human-induced global warming made that drought more likely."

ISIS may have roots in climate change

Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
I can't believe anyone thinks Mother Jones is still relevant enough to post a thread about.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:58 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
The irony here being you posted a link to National Review, whose journalistic standards are apparently so low that they actually write stories with the sole purpose of mocking other stories.

The 'racist' part refers to the European settlers using the argument that not eating 3 meals a day is uncivilized... they weren't saying anyone who eats 3 meals a day is racist. Anti-science is referring to the fact that studies found grazing is a more efficient way of nourishing the body.

I know I shouldn't expect better on this forum or from right wing news, but every time you people get upset about this kind of thing, you just end up looking stupid. Unfortunately, the rest of the right-wing echo chamber is the same way, and will agree with you without even dedicating a shred of critical thought to the issue.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
"In Syria from 2006-2010 an unprecedented drought changed the country from a groundwater-intensive breadbasket to a food importer. Farmers abandoned their homes, school enrollment in some areas plummeted 80 percent, and those people flooded into Syria’s cities (which were already struggling to sustain an influx of more than 1 million refugees from the conflict in neighboring Iraq.)"

"The Syrian government largely ignored these warning signs, helping sow discontent that ultimately spawned violent protests ... A drought-triggered humanitarian crisis (sparked the 2011 civil war), and eventually, ISIS.

"A new study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Science provides the clearest evidence yet that human-induced global warming made that drought more likely."

ISIS may have roots in climate change
Those looney liberals.

It's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that not having enough to eat or drink could make people desperate enough to join ISIS.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I can't believe anyone thinks Mother Jones is still relevant enough to post a thread about.
The right will use any excuse they can get to feed their persecution complexes and express their general outrage... and their media knows this, which is why so much of it is dedicated to being snarky about stories from other news sources.

They've used twitter comments as an excuse to get outraged... it wouldn't surprise me if one day some right wing rag used quotes from random 12 year old girls to 'prove' that liberals are stupid, out of control and causing the decline of America.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I guess I must be a Native American then, since i don't eat regular meal times ever.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
No, but it's not the healthiest way to eat. You are supposed to eat five or six small meals daily. However, society makes that a difficult thing to do xD.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:23 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Many left-leaning C-Der's take Mother Jones (and other radical Leftist sites such as AlterNet, Salon, et al.) very seriously, quoting them often in their political discussions, which is why I needed to post this.
And? Most right wingers take WND and the blaze as gospel as well.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Yea, I think that was stupid as well, but I think she did it to attract readers. To be 'edgy'. I think if she was truly condemning the European settlers, rather than trying to be shocking, she would have condemned them in that paragraph or somewhere else in the article.
I have serious doubts that the author wrote the headline, which is blatant click-bait. That's generally not the way journalism works. Otherwise, the article is an interesting comparison of the history of early colonial and indigenous American eating patterns with a smattering of current metabolic research. There are few deep insights, but I wouldn't expect that from the popular press.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-06-2015 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies