Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
The difference is that in the private sector one has a choice of selecting the insurance provider. If the Feds take over...there is absolutely no choice.

I'll take choice because no matter what you think, competition does keep a more level playing field. You just have to do a bit of research to find the one for yourself.
I'm not happy that my health insurance company has denied my last two prescriptions but I can't select another insurance company. My employer does not offer another option. You are suggesting that competition exists with health insurance but this is not true for most people. The solution is to separate employers from health insurance to create true competition among health insurers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Does anyone but me question just why we have to come up with a solution for what was supposed to be the solution to our health care issues? Could it be that it WASN'T the solution!!!!

Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Wht do you support making other people responsible for your healthcare?
We've all been responsible for other people's healthcare (including yours) for quite some time now. Why do you act like it's such a surprise all of a sudden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If everyone is responsible for everyone's healthcare then we will have a healthier society than having the individual responsible for their own but having to pay for the uninsured anyway. I assume that sick people will be treated and not left to die on the street.
^^^And this^^^

Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
If the US went to a single payer system, I'm pretty sure the majority of investment in new drugs will evaporate.
As it needs to. Drugs don't solve any of our health problems. They are created to "treat" them for life, thus making the consumer a life-long customer.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
As it needs to. Drugs don't solve any of our health problems. They are created to "treat" them for life, thus making the consumer a life-long customer.
Are you seriously arguing that there don't exist drugs which cure illnesses? Are you seriously arguing that there hasn't been innovation in pharmaceuticals that has resulted in novel cures for illnesses in recent years? I'm the first to agree that pharmaceutical profits in America are excessive and we need a near total overhaul of our regulation surrounding the industry, but what you are saying here is objectively wrong.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm not happy that my health insurance company has denied my last two prescriptions but I can't select another insurance company. My employer does not offer another option. You are suggesting that competition exists with health insurance but this is not true for most people. The solution is to separate employers from health insurance to create true competition among health insurers.
Your dreaming if you think union would agree to that and they had a major say in the ACA. Now do you think that and not being allowed to buy across state lines got in the bill.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Your dreaming if you think union would agree to that and they had a major say in the ACA. Now do you think that and not being allowed to buy across state lines got in the bill.
No unions didn't. They really aren't happy with many aspects of it.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The problem with that is that in the status quo we get our employer insurance on a pre-tax basis. The Democrats - as can clearly be seen in the drafting of the ACA and in some of them occasionally calling it a tax loophole - want to take that away. I'd honestly be fine with de-linking it by letting people pay for the premiums with pre-tax dollars when buying as an individual, but unfortunately when politicians talk about delinking the two what they often really mean is taking away the most important tax break the middle class gets.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No unions didn't. They really aren't happy with many aspects of it.
Depends on the union. The SEIU and other unions that cater to employees who often don't already have health benefits love it for the employer mandate, the UAW and other unions which have negotiated plans which are threatened by the "Cadillac" tax hate it.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
The problem with that is that in the status quo we get our employer insurance on a pre-tax basis. The Democrats - as can clearly be seen in the drafting of the ACA and in some of them occasionally calling it a tax loophole - want to take that away. I'd honestly be fine with de-linking it by letting people pay for the premiums with pre-tax dollars when buying as an individual, but unfortunately when politicians talk about delinking the two what they often really mean is taking away the most important tax break the middle class gets.

edit:

Depends on the union. The SEIU and other unions that cater to employees who often don't already have health benefits love it for the employer mandate, the UAW and other unions which have negotiated plans which are threatened by the "Cadillac" tax hate it.
I'm just saying unions didn't have a major say in this like the poster said.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm just saying unions didn't have a major say in this like the poster said.
I'd agree that's largely correct, excluding the SEIU and a handful of closely aligned others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies