Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:42 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well maybe some of those 97% were in fact decent people.
After the rioting, I now have my doubts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 07:45 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
There were 3 people on the PD fired including a captain for racist emails, the system and the PD demographics will change over time but they have a long way to go.
This should be interesting IF the Ferguson PD became mostly "Black": I'll STILL lay some serious money that about the same number of Black people WILL still be "contacted". Most Black cops really don't like "attitude" from young Black dudes, those cops are about as "racist" about it as a straight up racist anglo white cop.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
An arrest rate of 93 % for 67% of the population doesn't sound bad? Those numbers cannot be dismissed, the only thing laughable is that you attempt to make sense out of lopsided statistics. I have to wonder if a 98% arrest rate would raise your eyebrows or maybe it would take 100%?

Then you go off to pulling out statistics for the national incarceration rate of blacks that is not the same as arrests. Go look at the arrest rates for marijuana if you want a lopsided statistic, you would be led to believe that whites rarely smoke compared to blacks.

Does the black community have a crime problem, definitely but that does not come close to explaining those statistics.

By the way the standard for a federal investigation is higher, since you stopped at page 30 you should have seen this. Wilsons actions do not constitute prosecutable violations and his actions were not objectively unreasonable. That is the way our court system works as was the case with OJ

Do you have proof that any of the black people who were arrested were innocent? Or that many non-black people who should have been arrested were not? If not then you don't have any proof of racial bias.
And that 67% black figure is from 2010. White folks have been steadily fleeing from Ferguson, so the numbers are likely different now. Plus Ferguson isn't a remote island; I'm sure that some people who don't live there spend some time there.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
The Police walk a thin highly scrutinised line. If they step off on either side they are accused of not doing enough, the other way they were heavy handed. How can they win and help keep the law abiding safe, a duty they are sworn to do.

Some on this thread suggested that cops might be told to "look the other way" which does not bode well for the good citizens. In a tense adrenaline filled moment I want the police man or woman protecting me to not have to stop and think if his actions are going to be construed as racist. I want the threat neutralised then we can look at the evidence.

In the Ferguson case Brown should not have acted the way he did and Wilson could not just let him go.
If Brown had a gun there is no doubt in my mind he would have used it.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
No that is not what the report states, it indicates there were no eyewitnesses to corroborate Wilson nor was there credible evidence to disapprove his account.
Wrong.

The report has a section called:

Witnesses Materially Consistent with Prior Statements, Physical Evidence, and Other Witnesses who Corroborate that Wilson Acted in Self-Defense

There are eight [8] witnesses in that category.

To repeat, there were zero [0] witnesses in the similar category incriminating Wilson. All of those media hyped self declared witnesses were liars, racists, and/or 15 minutes of fame seekers.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Police walk a thin highly scrutinised line. If they step off on either side they are accused of not doing enough, the other way they were heavy handed. How can they win and help keep the law abiding safe, a duty they are sworn to do.

Some on this thread suggested that cops might be told to "look the other way" which does not bode well for the good citizens. In a tense adrenaline filled moment I want the police man or woman protecting me to not have to stop and think if his actions are going to be construed as racist. I want the threat neutralised then we can look at the evidence.

In the Ferguson case Brown should not have acted the way he did and Wilson could not just let him go.
If Brown had a gun there is no doubt in my mind he would have used it.
That's what Holder and Obama's witch hunt is going to lead to, of course. Police will be afraid to arrest or ticket people because of cries of racism. Ferguson will 100% black, or close to it, very soon. A neutered police department isn't going to be much help for the normal black people in that town.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:30 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
That's what Holder and Obama's witch hunt is going to lead to, of course. Police will be afraid to arrest or ticket people because of cries of racism. Ferguson will 100% black, or close to it, very soon. A neutered police department isn't going to be much help for the normal black people in that town.
Considering what the DOJ found, this would actually be a vast improvement. Although, again, I still lean towards simply dissolving the FPD entirely, and starting over from scratch. It's clear that they aren't at all up to the task of law enforcement.

Call up that Ron Johnson guy in the interim. He seemed content not to constantly terrorize the population, at least.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Considering what the DOJ found, this would actually be a vast improvement. Although, again, I still lean towards simply dissolving the FPD entirely, and starting over from scratch. It's clear that they aren't at all up to the task of law enforcement.

Call up that Ron Johnson guy in the interim. He seemed content not to constantly terrorize the population, at least.

They probably aren't........but do you really think an Eric Holder-led DoJ is??

I see two problems here: the FPD, and the inability of the DoJ to do anything other than fan the flames of racism.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:43 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
They probably aren't........but do you really think an Eric Holder-led DoJ is??
Um...Why would the DoJ be patrolling the streets in the first place? Didn't I mention a Cpt. in the state's Highway Patrol? You know, the guy who people cheered for when he was briefly allowed to control all matters?

Quote:
I see two problems here: the FPD, and the inability of the DoJ to do anything other than fan the flames of racism.
I don't think I've seen the DoJ fanning "the flames of racism" in decades, if ever. Nah, the problem seems to be entirely with the FPD, and the PDs of the immediate surrounding area.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post

The DOJ found ungatz. Arrest records that don't mirror census data and a town using traffic tickets for revenue isn't proof of anything, let alone that anyone is "terrorizing the population."
And Ferguson's last mayoral election had a turnout of like 15%. I can't understand why people didn't come out to vote for new leadership, if their town's government was terrorizing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies