Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are unaware that the Senate was a 50/50 split in 2008? You also seem to think the recession happened over night. Like I said, I don't expect to correct your thinking because it seems to me that you actually believe your false information.
it doesn't matter who controlled the Senate if the Democrats wouldn't let bills leave committee to make it to the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ah, obama economics. So tell us what it was obama did to bring unemployment down? Oh that's right, he lowered job market participation to record levels. Good work. So the dying patient has good kidney function. Let's celebrate!
The drop in participation does not explain the drop in unemployment.

Oct 2013
LFPR 62.8%
U3 7.2%

Feb 2015
LFPR 62.8%
U3 5.5%

Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78
I see you don't hold the GOP accountable for the damage they did to the country, and give the GOP credit for doing none or the work to repair the country. Sounds like a true Republican support if you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well it looks like we have another person who incorrectly remembers history.
"Well it looks like we have another person who incorrectly remembers history."

Thank you for owning up to your errors!

"Franks Stopped Bush in 03 to regulate Fannie Mae 17 times!"

Franks Stopped Bush in 03 to regulate Fannie Mae 17 times!

As I recall history, nancy pekosi was the Speaker of the House at the time.

"Barney Frank on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in 2003
Hearing from September 2003 on an administration proposal to alter the regulation of GSEs like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. See Congressman Barney Frank's opening statement, which begins at 4:40. It's rather amusing. Here's an excerpt of his opening statement:
I want to begin by saying that I am glad to consider the legislation, but I do not think we are facing any kind of a crisis. That is, in my view, the two government sponsored enterprises we are talking about here, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not in a crisis. We have recently had an accounting problem with Freddie Mac that has led to people being dismissed, as appears to be appropriate. I do not think at this point there is a problem with a threat to the Treasury."
Barney Frank on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in 2003 | Tax Foundation

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-06-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes it was, which is why Bush tried OVER A DOZEN TIMES to reign in the banking industry and was laughed at and ridiculed for saying an economic collapse was coming.

Democrats like Barney Frank, stopped banking reforms from ever leaving committees..
Point to the legislation that either Democrats or Republicans were backing to reign in the Mortgage Derivative marketplace.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Quote:
I see you don't hold the GOP accountable for the damage they did to the country, and give the GOP credit for doing none or the work to repair the country. Sounds like a true Republican support if you ask me

Hearing from September 2003 on an administration proposal to alter the regulation of GSEs like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. See Congressman Barney Frank's opening statement, which begins at 4:40. It's rather amusing. Here's an excerpt of his opening statement:
I want to begin by saying that I am glad to consider the legislation, but I do not think we are facing any kind of a crisis. That is, in my view, the two government sponsored enterprises we are talking about here, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not in a crisis. We have recently had an accounting problem with Freddie Mac that has led to people being dismissed, as appears to be appropriate. I do not think at this point there is a problem with a threat to the Treasury."
The regulations that were being proposed in 2003 would not have prevented the real estate bubble from collapsing.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Point to the legislation that either Democrats or Republicans were backing to reign in the Mortgage Derivative marketplace.
Quote:
The only reason mortgage derivatives were able to be sold like they were, is because they were guaranteed by Fannie/Freddie..

And what did they do to fix it..
Quote:
Thats right they FIRED the individuals who brought the problems to light.

Shhh, if we pretend the risk isnt there, then they will go away.. Democratic attitude..

They held Congressional hearings over the legislation proposals, which had Democrats ridiculing the proposals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqYY72PeRM

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They to no end, made fun of Bush for wanting to increase the ridiculously low 4% equity ratios the banks needed to have on reserves. They argued during senate hearings that since much of it was in mortgages, and backed by Fannie/Freddie, that banks should be able to go down to 0 equity, with 100% of their depositors money loaned out.

When auditors said the lending couldnt be substained and we were in a bubble, they called the auditors irresponsible and claimed they were using "scare" tactics to scare the public..

Seems those auditors were correct, Democrats wrong AGAIN.
It's funny that facts really screw up Dems arguments, they don't need facts, just a religious kind of belief that Bush is the devil and Obama is Allah.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The regulations that were being proposed in 2003 would not have prevented the real estate bubble from collapsing.
yes it would have because people wouldn't have bought crappy mortgages as investments without the governmental guarantees. Ok, it might not have "prevented" it, but it would have mitigated the damages, and decreased the increase in the bubble, making it far more manageable.

The only reason the mortgage securities were given AAA ratings was the governmental guarantees..

No one would have bought them had they been rated at their real values, and if no one would buy them, then the mortgages wouldnt have been issued to people who couldnt afford them.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
OK. You can believe that Fannie Nae and Freddie Mac had NOTING to do with the real estate collapse all you want.

It doesn't change the facts though!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Quote:

Oh Barney Frank was definitely wrong when he made that comment. Though this overhaul Bush tried to do in 2003 was nothing more than trying to change who was in charge of the housing departments and would have taken away government control while still being tied to any short comings they may encounter. What Bush proposed wouldn't have prevented the housing crisis, it would have just shifted the blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies