U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: walmart good bad or over
EVIL WALLYWORD 29 38.16%
GOOD WALLYWORLD 28 36.84%
I just go elsewhere 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:23 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,357,957 times

Advertisements

Yeah, eligible for government benefits. That is what annoys me the most about Wal-Mart (and others of their sort). They expect the government to basically pick up the tab for the health care and welfare of their employees because they are too cheap to pay their employees a living wage. No savings are passed on to me when my tax dollars go to pay for their employees.

Wal-Mart used to be about buying American, but that all went out the window the minute Sam Walton died. I would rather spend my money to support American jobs than to support unfair labor and trade practices in China.

Target isn't a better alternative. Target does the same thing Wal-Mart does in a prettier package. http://www.alternet.org/workplace/35610/

Costco is a good alternative to Sam's Club and I would gladly spend my money there to support their labor practices. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._costco29.html

I voted 'I just go elsewhere'. There are alternatives if you look hard enough, not for every product under the sun, but most. Most cost little, if any, more than Wal-Mart and I gladly will pay the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 12:30 AM

919 posts, read 1,668,699 times
i dont think the founder of wal-mart would recognize the company he left behind, GOD rest his soul. i think the fanatics are in charge now. funny how people will justify buying there even knowing it hurts our economy and screws its employees. i think W-M should sell american made products, yes they would cost more but they would be of higher quality and last alot longer.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:31 AM

911 posts, read 3,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
i dont think the founder of wal-mart would recognize the company he left behind, GOD rest his soul. i think the fanatics are in charge now. funny how people will justify buying there even knowing it hurts our economy and screws its employees. i think W-M should sell american made products, yes they would cost more but they would be of higher quality and last alot longer.
Big agreement>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 4,934,328 times
I'm not sure I understand the comments about Walmart and Health coverage. There are a lot of folks working at Walmart because they can't get health coverage anywhere else at their skill level. If you have a choice of clerking for the local gas station convenience store or for Walmart, you're a heck of a lot better off at Walmart.

I have a friend who was forced to retire early by his health. He works at Sam's Club (same programs as Walmart, according to him) because it's the only place that will continue his health coverage while taking his limitations into account. He says he owes his life to their programs.

I know several people who work at full-time jobs with no health coverage at all and work at Walmart part-time. According to what they tell me, Walmart is the only major company that permits part-timers to participate in the health care. They have to pay for it, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than an individual health policy, which is their only other choice.

Finally, regardless of what their policies are, people do have a choice -- they don't have to work for Walmart. In the case of every Walmart employee I've asked, they all consider themselves better off than their alternatives. That must be true; otherwise no one would work for them, and they would fail.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,357,957 times
It isn't that Wal-Mart doesn't offer it period, it doesn't offer sufficent coverage for a significant percentage of their employees and their dependant families. Because the workers are paid below the limits for Medicaid, they also can get on Medicaid to supplement, therefore meaning taxpayers are having to subsidize these employees. This is not just Wal-Mart, but there is no getting around that Wal-Mart is the biggest offender overall.

http://www.woi-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3032298
http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/walm...s_medicaid.php
http://www.house.gov/list/press/mi01_stupak/062205walmart.html (broken link)
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/25/ne...rs_now_t.shtml
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...report24m.html
http://www.policymattersohio.org/pdf/public_benefits_2006_03.pdf (broken link)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...N_6bI&refer=us
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news...225-A1-03.html

Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 AM

892 posts, read 2,172,768 times
I hate walmart. I hate bad quality stuff and horrible service so I stay away.
Evil?, I don't know. It is good to have around to hire the people on the lower end of the intelligence scale. Sorry if I offend anyone
For them treating their employees bad, well then get a job elsewhere. If they had no employees to treat bad and no customers to buy their crap they wouldn't be in business.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:19 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,085,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I hate walmart. I hate bad quality stuff and horrible service so I stay away.
Evil?, I don't know. It is good to have around to hire the people on the lower end of the intelligence scale. Sorry if I offend anyone
For them treating their employees bad, well then get a job elsewhere. If they had no employees to treat bad and no customers to buy their crap they wouldn't be in business.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, that by the words, "the lower end of the intelligence scale", what you actually meant to say was, "the lower end of the educational, or financial scale", which, obviously, have nothing to do with intelligence, as such. No, I don't work for Wal-Mart, although I do shop there sometimes, as well as Target, etc., (I will also shop at smaller stores, depending on what I'm after). But, I do know people who work there or have in the past, because they needed the job, at least until they could find another one. Many people use it as a jump-off point, such as teen-agers. Some use it to supplement their income, such as seniors. Others need a second job, because their fancy college degree still hasn't gotten them their dream career, and they need to pay the rent, in the meantime. I'm not overly fond of Wal-Mart; I don't like their overbearing ways, etc. But, they have their place in the economic scheme of things, like it or not.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 AM

46 posts, read 180,480 times
Walmart is wanting to super size in my town. Some people in town tried to stop them saying it will take away from local shops downtown and our Ray food and safeway will suffer from a supper store. I do not think we can blame Walmart for Our down town problems . Someone should think of something new besides an (Antique store) ,that never last. Small town less than 9,000.
Ray's and Safeway are higher priced compared to like Winco. People were doing there big shopping at Winco a 40 mile round trip to save money but since the gas prices are so high their shopping here in town.
I think places like Ray's and Safeway need to lower their prices to compete with Walmart. Walmart has a tire center but we also have Les Swab and a Tire factory in town they get alot more business than Walmart.
I ran out of hair spray and walmart was closed the same hair sray that would of cost me 99 cents. I had to pay $3.29 at a local Dari Mart.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:25 AM

892 posts, read 2,172,768 times
No I meant what I wrote. But I will change my quote to about my walmarts here in the Inland Empire sesspool in CA and exclude seniors. The ones near me 90% of their employees can't recite the alphabet if asked. Doesn't seem to matter what age they are (except seniors). I visited a walmart in a different state while on vacation and their employees were not dumb.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,660,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Finally, regardless of what their policies are, people do have a choice -- they don't have to work for Walmart.
"Money is a good servant but a bad Master".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies