Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Trusted doesn't necessarily mean truthful.

That goes for all news.
Exactly. "Trusted" doesn't mean they should be trusted. ANY news source can put out false, biased information and still have extremely loyal fans who trust what they say. There are people who trusted Brian Williams. There are people who continue to trust Bill O'Reilly. Both are full of malarkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to 1,286 people polled.

When poll results agree with your perceptions, they are deemed important.

When poll results disagree with your perceptions, they are deemed worthless.

Who are these people who answer phone calls from unknown callers and then dispense with skepticism and stay on the line and answer questions posed by strangers?
I looked at the poll. Those most likely to trust FOX News are Republicans.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not really.

What i'm trying to figure out is why Conservatives carry water for a network that doesn't send them a check. I can see you saying that you like watching it, but the constant cheerleading and this curious need to belittle Fox's detractors when Roger Ailes isn't mailing you a check is kinda lame. No...scratch that...it's VERY lame.
I don't watch cable news, but I appreciate the service that Fox is providing for those who do, especially when you consider the cable news alternatives.

The rest of the story is being distributed. So when CNN, MSNBC and the broadcast networks decide they are just not going to report on a story because it does not fit with their "narrative," which happens with some regularity, Fox News is there to fill the gap and provide the information that the cable news audience would otherwise be missing.

And that is one of the main reasons why Fox News is trusted more than any of these other networks.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What were their political parties?

And furthermore, I'ma registered voter, have been for over 10 years, and I don't trust FOX News, period.
Click the link that I provided for you and see for yourself.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Well, this is pretty much a no-brainer, considering the rock-solid consistent results of the cable news ratings over the last 14 years, but in case there is still anyone out there that did not know, here is a poll by Quinnipiac to confirm it:

Quote:
Poll: Fox News most trusted network

Fox News has the most trusted network and cable news coverage in the United States, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll released Monday. But network TV is much less trustworthy than it was in the days of Walter Cronkite, American voters say.

In comparison rankings, 29 percent responded that they trust Fox News the most. CNN follows with 22 percent, CBS News and NBC News are at 10 percent, ABC News at 8 percent and MSNBC at 7 percent.
If you take out MSNBC, which I'll grant leans left, you are left with all other news stations that don't lean to the far right: 50; Fox News 29. That doesn't suggest that Fox is the most trusted by a majority of Americans. In fact, it suggests the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who are these people who answer phone calls from unknown callers and then dispense with skepticism and stay on the line and answer questions posed by strangers?
Old people with landlines and no caller ID and nothing else to do all day. In other words, Fox's main demographic.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
I don't watch cable news, but I appreciate the service that Fox is providing for those who do, especially when you consider the cable news alternatives.

The rest of the story is being distributed. So when CNN, MSNBC and the broadcast networks decide they are just not going to report on a story because it does not fit with their "narrative," which happens with some regularity, Fox News is there to fill the gap and provide the information that the cable news audience would otherwise be missing.

And that is one of the main reasons why Fox News is trusted more than any of these other networks.
Most Trusted is not the same as trustful.

"Asked whether they trust the journalistic coverage of each network, 20 percent said they do “a great deal” for Fox, and 35 percent said “somewhat.”"
Read more: Poll: Fox News most trusted network - Nick Gass - POLITICO

Pretty poor numbers for the most trusted network.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Most Trusted is not the same as trustful.

"Asked whether they trust the journalistic coverage of each network, 20 percent said they do “a great deal” for Fox, and 35 percent said “somewhat.”"
Read more: Poll: Fox News most trusted network - Nick Gass - POLITICO

Pretty poor numbers for the most trusted network.
Still better than CNN, MSNBC, or any other network. And rightfully so.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:

That's not what i'm saying.

I'm saying that every time i turn around, some conservative dolt is yammering on about how great Fox News is and how much they're trusted and on and on and on. Moreover, they see a need to get in online forums and take jabs at Fox's detractors or even at ANYONE that doesn't care about Fox one way or the other. 9 times out of 10, this stuff is totally unprovoked. Libs don't care about what news channel you're watching.

And conservatives do all of this Fox cheerleading, belittling of Fox detractors, and incessant sucking up for free. I could see if Fox was sending out checks or at least a care package fulla cookies to these people, but that's obviously not the case.

And i'm not talking about people that simply make it known that they like watching Fox News. I'm talking about the people that see the need to argue about it all the time and ram Fox straight down your throat on a constant basis as if they have stock in the company.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I occasionally listen to Fox Radio News, but mostly I listen to Public Radio for news AND entertainment.
I even make a cash donation now and then.
when the enviro programs come on, I switch to a local country music station that has no news programming.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's not what i'm saying.

I'm saying that every time i turn around, some conservative dolt is yammering on about how great Fox News is and how much they're trusted and on and on and on. Moreover, they see a need to get in online forums and take jabs at Fox's detractors or even at ANYONE that doesn't care about Fox one way or the other. 9 times out of 10, this stuff is totally unprovoked. Libs don't care about what news channel you're watching.

And conservatives do all of this Fox cheerleading, belittling of Fox detractors, and incessant sucking up for free. I could see if Fox was sending out checks or at least a care package fulla cookies to these people, but that's obviously not the case.

And i'm not talking about people that simply make it known that they like watching Fox News. I'm talking about the people that see the need to argue about it all the time and ram Fox straight down your throat on a constant basis as if they have stock in the company.
Nobody forced you to:

1. Enter this forum for Politics and Controvserial Topics,
2. Click on this thread,
3. Read the OP and the other posts in this thread, and
4. Click reply and type out the response you made above, and also the other posts you have made here.

Rather than having this rammed down your throat, you seem to have sought it out and embraced this subject very much by your own free will.

As far as the rest, I think you exaggerating a bit, but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies