Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

There is no need to track race, it happens automatically. For instance, people watch the news on TV, and every negative piece of news on a black person reinforces negative views the person already has (conscious or not) because people are very subjective and selective about what they sense. Every mug shot of a black suspect in the news is a little catastrophe for the image of black people.

I guess it would help if society were not so class-oriented and gentrified, but instead mixed a whole lot more, as early on as possible.
But there is no point in forcing people to mix (busing etc.) if they don't want to, that will only increase their negative views. At that stage it is already too late, so to speak. Once people have certain views, it is very hard to change them.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is a perfect example of conservative racism ^^^^^.

Why would blacks have to prove anything to someone who is not racist?
They have to prove it to themselves, as we all do if we want to succeed.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
They have to prove it to themselves, as we all do if we want to succeed.
That's moving the goalpost.

The judge is white. Hence, blacks will always be "proving themselves." Justice in America is white.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
That's moving the goalpost.

The judge is white. Hence, blacks will always be "proving themselves." Justice in America is white.
I was simply talking about motivation, or self starting.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
I missed that memo. I don't prove myself to anyone.. at least not consciously.
To succeed at any occupation, you must prove yourself. Before I retired, I had a floor covering business and had to prove to customers that I could do a good job if I wanted to be hired again.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
What are black people supposed to prove? That they are human, too?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What are black people supposed to prove? That they are human, too?
That they are not relegated to be victims while everyone around them thrives.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,395 times
People equivocate and confuse prejudices with racism. Currently we as a society often look at disdain and ostracize people who demonstrate prejudices based on race while ignoring the human thought process that largely works on assumptions when presented with incomplete or unknown information. These assumptions are constantly refined with new information, i.e. experience and knowledge and become more and more accurate as long as we can maintain a certain objectivity and open mindedness. In my opinion, this is the single most important and ignored component of race relations in the United States today and its largely perpetrated by the liberal social justice warrior. With that said, prejudices can easily manifest into racism. This occurs when a person is presented and ignores logical, empirical and reasonable information or knowledge that directly contradicts the prejudice.

We can look at the title of this article and dismiss it out of hand rather easily. Its obviously prejudicial to white people as it assumes all or some white people have these characteristics, i.e. "7 ways". A similar and equally prejudicial title would be "7 ways black people are good at basketball with out knowing it". The author probably attempts to use empirical evidence to support the assumption he/she has made with out truly establishing the merit of the premise. The author would have to produce scientific evidence that demonstrate that skin color inherently determines if someone is racist or not. Obviously racism is completely environmental and a learned behavior and nothing about the color of a persons skin makes them racist or better basketball player.

The problem we have is when people start discussing the concept known as white privilege they largely ignore the faulty premise they have established and immediately start trying to use irrelevant empirical evidence to support it and this is where it becomes racist. Think of racial profiling, it uses the same logical leaps as these "white privilege" folks do.

Last edited by billydaman; 03-09-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
The majority of the rest of us do.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:00 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,395 times
Quote:
I'm not defending the other guys argument but this kind of comes off as false. You do not think you have prove yourself to your boss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies