Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No kidding. I'd be ashamed of behavior like this from my children as well!
As would I. Deplorable. No excuse for that kind of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
I would disown them..permanently. Reminding them they have reached the age where I have no financial responsibility for them.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I never heard no hanging part - that is apparently something these idiots added. But the base chant is many decades old. Some of the older white guys that are expelling these students, such as Boren and other older white guys, may have sung this chant themselves back in the day - just sayin.
So its a racist song from back in the day when they really hung people from trees.

I really feel surprised in America right now. That hardly ever happens. It's like I'm high but not high.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Thank you. As reprehensible as these racist idiots' actions are, they're protected as free speech according to the Constitution.

Believe me, they'll pay for their actions by being socially ostracized and unemployable, as they should be.

We CANNOT suspend Constitutional rights just because we disagree with whatever someone is saying. Let the court of public opinion, which unilaterally condemns these acts, suffice before wishing to erode Constitutional rights.

You're too pragmatic and logical; this is an emotional issue.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yeah, like "cracker" is anywhere near as racially inflammative as the n-word.

They won't even ban you for using "cracker" on CD.
So a racist, derogatory term for whites is not nearly as inflammatory as a a racist derogatory term for blacks. Maybe in your book.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
This is a felony under jurisdiction of the Thought Police.
Thou shalt not speak politically incorrect words!
It matters not that actions did not follow those words.
Nor were persons or property injured.
Such words cannot be spoken by a free people.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont think someones life should be ruined because they made one mistake. So no, they shouldnt have been expelled.

That being said, they werent just "singing", thats minimizing what they did, and there is no way they made that song up on the spot either.

It has also been said that OU has a student code of conduct, like most schools, and they violated it.
Their lives wont be ruined...

Name all the lacross players from the Duke fiasco...

Hell, name one guy from SAE that was expelled...

They will be inconvenienced for a few months but America will move on next week to the next hot topic.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Thank you. As reprehensible as these racist idiots' actions are, they're protected as free speech according to the Constitution.

Believe me, they'll pay for their actions by being socially ostracized and unemployable, as they should be.

We CANNOT suspend Constitutional rights just because we disagree with whatever someone is saying. Let the court of public opinion, which unilaterally condemns these acts, suffice before wishing to erode Constitutional rights.
The students' actions have impugned the reputation of the university, and the university is rightfully enacting its right to revoke their enrollment. The young mens' freedom of speech remains intact. Their participation in the university program is a privilege, and the university may rescind that privilege at its discretion.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This is a felony under jurisdiction of the Thought Police.
Thou shalt not speak politically incorrect words!
It matters not that actions did not follow those words.
Nor were persons or property injured.
Such words cannot be spoken by a free people.
Where did you get the idea that this was a felony? No one has been arrested or charged over this blatant form of racism. All the students are seeing is the reaction to their actions, that is perfectly legal. And no one is preventing you from speaking racist things, you just have to remember that your freedom of speech does not protect you from people's reactions and criticism.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
jetgraphics, expulsion is not being charged with a felony. Your employer can fire you, but cannot arrest you..same principle. Universities have standards of conduct, just as employers do. Tell your boss he is ugly and stupid Wednesday, and come back to tell us how your "workplace freedom of speech" held up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies