Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
employers paying half of social security is part of the employees compinsation package for work. Your argument doesn't hold water.

Not to mention the litany of of other tax deductions you get to make while running a business.
Independent contractors don't typically have a whole lot of business deductions. Most of the time they're just doing work that used to done by employees, they're just doing it without benefits. Companies are cutting employees and contracting work out instead so they don't have to offer benefits, including paying half of the SS and Medicare taxes. More and more companies are opting for this kind of arrangement, so much so that within five years, nearly half of all working Americans will be independent contractors.

So what's your solution when nearly half the population no longer has access to government subsidized healthcare through their employers? We pay taxes, and a lot of them. Why are we not deserving of the same type of government access to affordable healthcare that employees, who pay a lower tax rate, have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's always different when it's your subsidy we're talking about. It's only mooching when it's somebody else getting the same benefit you've been enjoying for years. Because you're just more special than people who are self-employed, more deserving of special government tax breaks, right?

Estimates are that by 2020 more than 40% of the workforce will be comprised of independent contractors. That means 40% of full time workers in this country that will have no access to the government subsidy that you receive. And still, you think you deserve it and other hard working Americans don't. Sounds like a typical moocher attitude to me.
What ever you need to tell yourself to feel better. It's not income so why would it be taxed? Should I be taxed on the amount of time off that I am able to have since you don't get the same amount of time off? I don't get why you think some should have to pay tax on a benefit and then others should be GIVEN free money for that same benefit and not taxed on that. What world are you living in? Here's your eitc your subsidy for obamacare and you don't have to lift a finger for it because we already took it from someone else who earned it for you.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Independent contractors don't typically have a whole lot of business deductions. Most of the time they're just doing work that used to done by employees, they're just doing it without benefits. Companies are cutting employees and contracting work out instead so they don't have to offer benefits, including paying half of the SS and Medicare taxes. More and more companies are opting for this kind of arrangement, so much so that within five years, nearly half of all working Americans will be independent contractors.

So what's your solution when nearly half the population no longer has access to government subsidized healthcare through their employers? We pay taxes, and a lot of them. Why are we not deserving of the same type of government access to affordable healthcare that employees, who pay a lower tax rate, have?

Because it isn't government sunsidized. The employer is giving it to you not gov as they do in obummercare. Why is mine taxed and yours is free? I earned it you didn't.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Nope, I was FORCED TO PAY into it all my life. If I had my CHOICE I wouldn't have put it into my account. You better damn well believe I plan on drawing the money I paid into it out. Gotta problem with that?
No, but you do realize the Medicare benefits most receive far exceed what they contribute? So, yes, you're just another hypocritical curmudgeon who wants to deny others the 'luxury' of health insurance you have.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Because it isn't government sunsidized. The employer is giving it to you not gov as they do in obummercare. Why is mine taxed and yours is free? I earned it you didn't.
Bull. You are getting a subsidy when you get your insurance through your employer. I am not. I pay the whole FICA bill, with no exclusions, you do not. My rate is higher than yours. There's nothing "free" about paying a higher tax rate but getting less in return. I'd say I earned it more than you did.

Federal and state tax laws do not include the value of employer contributions for health insurance (or health benefits when paid directly by employers) in the income of employees. Employees often also can make their contributions towards the premium for ESI with income before it is taxed. This lowers the amount employees owe in income taxes, and lowers payroll taxes paid for Medicare and Social Security (collectively known as FICA, or the Federal Insurance Contributions Act taxes).1 The exclusions of employer and employee contributions from income and payroll taxes are the largest tax subsidy for private health insurance.

Tax Subsidies for Private Health Insurance – I. Federal and State Tax Exclusions for ESI – 7779-02 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

There's a lot more at the link. But to quote you, whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 03-11-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 11:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
No, but you do realize the Medicare benefits most receive far exceed what they contribute? So, yes, you're just another hypocritical curmudgeon who wants to deny others the 'luxury' of health insurance you have.
LOL, just complying with the LIBERAL laws of the land when time comes. What's wrong, don't like them liberal laws? Guess what.. I could be a rich man and get Obamacare subsidies too if I wanted

Old 03-11-2015, 11:50 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, just complying with the LIBERAL laws of the land when time comes. What's wrong, don't like them liberal laws? Guess what.. I could be a rich man and get Obamacare subsidies too if I wanted
No, I'm not complaining at all. While the ACA has problems, it has provided health insurance for several million who weren't previously covered. Isn't more persons having better health coverage (or at least some coverage) an improvement?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Bull. You are getting a subsidy when you get your insurance through your employer. I am not. I pay the whole FICA bill, with no exclusions, you do not. My rate is higher than yours. There's nothing "free" about paying a higher tax rate but getting less in return. I'd say I earned it more than you did.

Federal and state tax laws do not include the value of employer contributions for health insurance (or health benefits when paid directly by employers) in the income of employees. Employees often also can make their contributions towards the premium for ESI with income before it is taxed. This lowers the amount employees owe in income taxes, and lowers payroll taxes paid for Medicare and Social Security (collectively known as FICA, or the Federal Insurance Contributions Act taxes).1 The exclusions of employer and employee contributions from income and payroll taxes are the largest tax subsidy for private health insurance.

Tax Subsidies for Private Health Insurance – I. Federal and State Tax Exclusions for ESI – 7779-02 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

There's a lot more at the link. But to quote you, whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better.

Is it a nice benefit yes. It is not a subsidy though because they are not taking heyjudes tax dollars and using that to pay for my health insurance. They are simply saying it is not taxable. The employer can offer to pay for whatever % of the premium that they want and YOU haven't funded a single penny of it. However when my tax comes out some is transfred to heyjude to pay for yours. Do you get this yet?

Tax dollars don't fund my premium they simple don't take more tax from it because it is not income coming to me. Tax dollars do fund yours because you are purchasing a product with assistance from someone else money.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
ACA was good for my daughter with pre-existing disease. First we were able to keep her on our plan until she was 26, then she was finally able to get decent coverage at a decent price in CA due to reforms. Previously no one would take her.
Which of course made insurance more expensive, despite the Presidents promise to lower them by $2500 per family.

You cant insure more people, at a higher risk, without raising premiums on others more than you wouldnt have had to otherwise.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:

Oh bull. We've been through this before, and you dont ever seem to be able to learn that allowing people to keep their money IS NOT A DAM SUBSIDY...

What on gods earth is it going to take before you stop trying to pass this outright lie as the truth?

You claim to be self employed, independent contractor, and you dont know the difference between a tax deduction, vs subsidy? Who the hell does your taxes woman!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies