U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 AM
 
Location: Navarre, Florida
327 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
The elephant might be in the room. But it's being led by donkey's and thats my problem of the elephant of today!!!
Amen. One of the things that I commend Bush on, though, is the fact that he has never let the polls change his direction. When he was campaigning, he stated his platform and has never waivered...I respect that. He also warned us that this war was not going to be easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Navarre, Florida
327 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Exactly. We're agreed then. The problem isn't lower taxes. The problem is the President's management of spending.

Still think he's an economic mastermind?
I don't recall ever saying that the President was an 'economic mastermind'. I just feel that he should be given some credit for the United States getting though 9-11 and Katrina without major consequences...I think that is very commendable. I'm just irritated because everyone made such a fuss about the economy when Clinton was President...Bush deserves some credit, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Navarre, Florida
327 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
Great to see you back, Kim. I agree with you....and on the last paragraph, I don't think most people want to give credit where it is due. Tax cuts helped our family also, and yes, I believe our president had a LOT to do with it!
Thanks Whitney...isn't it great to see some more conservative posters on the site? Maybe we're not totally outnumbered, anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 AM
 
Location: N.H.
1,022 posts, read 3,154,936 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Thanks Whitney...isn't it great to see some more conservative posters on the site? Maybe we're not totally outnumbered, anymore!
We are all comming out of the wood work. (I see smart people.) Besides haven't you heard, if you vote dem you go blind. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Haddington, E. Lothian, Scotland
752 posts, read 597,366 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Amen. One of the things that I commend Bush on, though, is the fact that he has never let the polls change his direction. When he was campaigning, he stated his platform and has never waivered...I respect that. He also warned us that this war was not going to be easy.
Being led by polls is no worse than being led by a bent ideology. Bullheadedness is neither a virtue nor worthy of respect.

Interesting article today on Yahoo. Worth a read for every NeoRadical who fancies himself Conservative:

Why I like Ike
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20061204/cm_csm/ylieven (broken link)

And yes, it's hard being the only Conservative left in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Haddington, E. Lothian, Scotland
752 posts, read 597,366 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
We are all comming out of the wood work. (I see smart people.) Besides haven't you heard, if you vote dem you go blind. LOL
Let's step back and take a long look at that post.

And appreciate the irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Haddington, E. Lothian, Scotland
752 posts, read 597,366 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I was the one who wanted to give a little credit to our President for not leading us into absolute chaos after 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina...no matter what anyone says, I still believe that he led us through those two tradgedies without any major mishaps. He is not perfect and I never professed that he was...however, I really wonder what you would be saying if Kerry had been elected and how things would have progressed with him leading our nation....remember, he voted to invade Iraq before he voted against it. And, by the way, my family has received more than $1000 from tax cuts and it has helped us live the American dream. Just out of curiousity, are you living in Scotland or in the U.S.?
9/11 and Katrina would test the leadership of anyone, true. And it would be hard to fault Bush if he had approached both with the slightest amount of humility and a willingness to acknowledge his mistakes and change his trajectory.

Kerry would have been a disaster as well. He voted for the war, which is a pox on him.

Please consider your tax cut in the wider context of the debt that's this country has accumulated. President Bush approved the spending, and he approved those tax cuts. The shortfall has to be made up somewhere. Living on debt is a losing game. It doesn't work for the average household so there's no reason to believe it will work for this country. That money you got in your pocket will eventually come out of the pocket of later generations.

Right now I live in Scotland, and thankfully for the foreseeable future. The one perverse upside in all this is that as the debt balloons and the dollar takes a dive, I get a raise without doing anything. My salary went up 5% in the past month alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Navarre, Florida
327 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Being led by polls is no worse than being led by a bent ideology. Bullheadedness is neither a virtue nor worthy of respect.

Interesting article today on Yahoo. Worth a read for every NeoRadical who fancies himself Conservative:

Why I like Ike
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20061204/cm_csm/ylieven (broken link)

And yes, it's hard being the only Conservative left in the room.
I would rather know that our President is intent on doing what he believes is best for the United States and not "kittyfooting" around when the polls are not in his favor. It's commendable to me to actually DO what you say you are going to do...something that is not all that common these days....especially in politics.

Last edited by Kimbercuddles; 12-05-2006 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: word improvisation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Navarre, Florida
327 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
9/11 and Katrina would test the leadership of anyone, true. And it would be hard to fault Bush if he had approached both with the slightest amount of humility and a willingness to acknowledge his mistakes and change his trajectory.

Kerry would have been a disaster as well. He voted for the war, which is a pox on him.

Please consider your tax cut in the wider context of the debt that's this country has accumulated. President Bush approved the spending, and he approved those tax cuts. The shortfall has to be made up somewhere. Living on debt is a losing game. It doesn't work for the average household so there's no reason to believe it will work for this country. That money you got in your pocket will eventually come out of the pocket of later generations.

Right now I live in Scotland, and thankfully for the foreseeable future. The one perverse upside in all this is that as the debt balloons and the dollar takes a dive, I get a raise without doing anything. My salary went up 5% in the past month alone.
FistFightingHairdresser...I do respect your opinion, and I do not claim to know everything about America's economy and infrastructure...however, what options would you suggest that we would have done differently regarding the tradgedies of 9-11 and Katrina? I'm really curious.

Another subject that I'm interested in is....what percentage of your paycheck do you actually get to keep? How do the Social Security and Health Insurance systems work in Scotland? I've recently read that one of the only countries that is "better" to live in would be Norway. Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2006, 12:54 AM
 
112 posts, read 51,527 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Being led by polls is no worse than being led by a bent ideology. Bullheadedness is neither a virtue nor worthy of respect.

Interesting article today on Yahoo. Worth a read for every NeoRadical who fancies himself Conservative:

Why I like Ike
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20061204/cm_csm/ylieven (broken link)

And yes, it's hard being the only Conservative left in the room.

She not alone, there are elephant's in the room today! Would you rather have a flip flopper as a president. Because there are plenty of those in the liberal party. I will vote for the war but then I changed my mind. Isn't that what bulimic people do? They eat the food then they change their mind and puke it up. All for what? To be skinny and popular!!!

Last edited by thecuban; 12-05-2006 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top