Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:39 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,311,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Dear smokers:

Please feel free to light up whenever the urge compels you.

Just step outside first.

Thank you.

Carry on.

That is not going to help in a ROW HOUSE which is attached. The smoke will still seep into the neighbors windows, front and back doors. Look at the picture to see what a row house looks like.

These people should have ASKED if they were so anti smoking if any of their neighbors smoked before they bought it. Buy a non-smoking CONDO unit instead. These row homes are the same as a single family home.

Should smoking be illegal in a single family home? How about outside smoking if the homes are very close to each other? People are totally going over the top with this today. They make it seem like they are going to die from some contagious disease like Ebola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 02:45 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did you see their houses? They are attachthemed like town houses. The couple says if he plugs the hole in his basement, they'll drop the lawsuit.

See it?? I OWNED one just like it. Smoking? Hell, you can smell what you neighbors are cooking. You can hear coughing, sneezing, talking, telephones, fights, etc. Did you enjoy your FRIED FISH last night?

Drop their lawsuit? Wanna buy a bridge? They will still complain even if he smokes outside. These neighbors are fanatics and have an agenda. THEY need to move to a totally non-smoking condo instead so they are not around the "lepers of society".

Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
No one should smoke.

Some folks will anyway.

And behave like they own the atmosphere.

Naughty, naughty...

Old 03-12-2015, 04:59 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The .gov is now controlling what legal activities one can and can't do in their own home. What's next?

D.C. man can
The house appears to be connected somehow to another home. I wonder if it is like a townhouse? The smoke is actually getting into their neighbor's house.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The house appears to be connected somehow to another home. I wonder if it is like a townhouse? The smoke is actually getting into their neighbor's house.
Do we really want a society where we regulate smells?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Row house have common walls.
They are independently-owned not subject to an HOA or Condo rule.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
No one should smoke.

Some folks will anyway.

Naughty, naughty...
You know, I'd rather spend 30 minutes in a closed garage with ten smokers than with one running car.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Do we really want a society where we regulate smells?

I am not bothered by the smell of cigarettes and my husband was a long time cigar smoker. On the occasion I was bothered by someone's smoke, I moved away from it. Same deal at restaurants and entertainment venues before it became illegal to smoke.

My gut tells me there is a super majority out there who want to regulate odors.

From a real estate perspective, if the smell is entering the adjoining property through a common wall/hole in the wall, it will likely impact the market value of the unit. That may be the basis of the lawsuit. No clue why the offended party does not seal the hole.

People routinely refuse to consider properties that smell of cigarettes or cigars, despite that such properties almost always sell at a substantial discount.This was not the BFD it is today, 10-15 years ago.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:27 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Dear smokers:

Please feel free to light up whenever the urge compels you.

Just step outside first.

Thank you.

Carry on.

Dear control freaks:

Worry about your own behaviours within your own home and butt out of everyone elses.

Thank you.

Carry on.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
=Old Gringo;38793768]No one should smoke.

Some folks will anyway.

Naughty, naughty...
How is smoking inside your own home, or in an apartment or rent house where it is permitted, acting like they are "owning the atmosphere"? Or if they smoke in, say, a public park or other specially designated outdoor area which those who despise smoking are always able avoid if they wish? When was the last time you saw a smoker behaving as it they "owned the atmosphere"? What were the circumstances?

I quit smoking some over 10 years ago and it is the best health decision I ever made. And personally, I don't like to breath someone else's smoke.

BUT, with that said, it has been my experience that the most intrusive busy-bodies that inhabit the same atmosphere as the rest of the human race are the anti-smoking zealots who believe that their "right" to a smoke-free environment extends to not only feeling as if they ought not to have to suffer the slightest wiff of smoke in an open public area, but mandating what others do on their own property, including supporting laws and ordinances which ban smoking in private businesses.

To tell these people that there is nothing requiring them to enter the said business and they can vote with their feet and money by going elsewhere doesn't seem to matter to them. Nor does how such a total ban might negatively impact the private business make any difference either. The only relevant issue to them is that they get their way and control the decisions of others (in this case, permitting smoking within your own establishment), even though said decision does not have to affect them in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies