Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ
The reason why people are against Gay Marriage because it goes against most peoples values.
Not true. Just because most people you know think as you do, it does not follow that most americans think as you do.

Support for Gay Marriage Hits All-Time High — WSJ/NBC News Poll - Washington Wire - WSJ

Quote:
Marriage is not a perfect institute, but the Marriage between Man and women has been the gold stand since ever!

Also it offends Christians and a good Christian will not support a sin or a abomination against God.

This isn't true either, quite a few christans support SSM. But even if it was true, so what?
Don not confuse politeness for acceptance. Its still a sin and that I why Civil Unions are designed by flawed men and women. Besides Christians and Godly Bases Churches, we want to start a dialogue so it opens the door for the Good Lord to Change a Sinful life.

Quote:
More and More states have been forced thru legal action and even over turn the voters will , One Man and One woman. The gay community has sued their way and have forced changed in Traditional Christian cities and States. Now there is Civil Unions and a few states like Oregon have the nerve to call it marriage.

All legal marriages in this country are civil unions, and always have been. The state issues you a marriage license, and always has. Most of us are perfectly fine with this state of affairs.
Again a law by man and the US Constitution protects all, no matter who it is. Civil Unions has been a revenue source for state and counties. don't fool yourself thinking they are doing you a favor.

Quote:
It is the belief of the Gay Community is looking for more a legal victory.

Which they will soon have. And it's long overdue.

The Line is in the sand and it will be for a long time. One cannot force people to accept with full approval, which you are seeking.

Quote:
They wish to be accepted by all as normal behavior. That's why recently I have noticed more post toward Conservatives to earn and win acceptance beyond what the court dictates.

No, the anti-SSM forces are losing ground.
Matter of fact the Churches and Christian groups are reinforcing the Institution of Marriage and more and more couples are getting Married for the right reason. Just not because you are the Football Player and she is a Cheerleader. Life is way more complicated than that.

Quote:
I was raised in a rural town in Missouri (More corn and soy bean than people) with very traditional views and no one even knew a gay person.

Plus it just does not look right?

Horseless carriages did not "look right" either. Yet, we managed to adjust.

Thank you for the opportunity to once again refute your tired out and non-factual arguments.

You asked peoples opinion and I hate to break it to you but most Conservatives do support the reasoning I have outlined for you and others. Plus the Gay life style cannot hold a candle to a Strong Marriage. One Man and One women and the blissful life of raising kids.

I am puzzle ? what kind of answer were you looking for?
My spouse and I have been together longer than our parents were, longer than most of our straight siblings have managed. And Dude, there is no gay lifestyle.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually. the reason the Constitution doesn`t say anything about marriage is because the voting majority, acting through their elected representatives, ratified a Constitution that did not authorize the Congress to regulate marriage.

Instead they included the Tenth Amendment that prohibits federal interference in state matters like marriage.

As for the rest, you seem to be just making things up now.

Sexual orientation isn`t mentioned in the Constitution so their are no Constitutional rights based on it.
Straight is a sexual orientation too ,

Old 03-17-2015, 02:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
=TheDragonslayer;38845564]Straight is a sexual orientation too ,
Yes, but it is normal. Man and woman.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yes, but it is normal. Man and woman.
Gay is normal too, so are gay relationships. Straight may be the majority, but it is not the only sexual orientation.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
=StillwaterTownie;38844758]You're so wrong. I can't pinpoint why there is so much hatred and resentment directed at gays, unless some people find their sex acts to be quite grossly offensive. To me, I don't see why I'm supposed to be hateful or prejudiced against gays getting equal rights, including marriage. This is because it's none of my personal business what consenting adults do in the loving privacy of their bedrooms.
Yep, I hate gays. I am a homophobe. A super-homophobe, in fact. Does that make you feel all morally superior about yourself?

What do you think I am going to do? Fall all over myself apologizing for my own moral beliefs just because it is in vogue?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
=TheDragonslayer;38845648]Gay is normal too, so are gay relationships. Straight may be the majority, but it is not the only sexual orientation.
And I have nothing against "gay relationships." I have everything against re-defining marriage to same sex couples.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
And I have nothing against "gay relationships." I have everything against re-defining marriage to same sex couples.
How, TexasReb, does it redefine marriage? All marriage equality does is allow same sex couples the right to marry, it does not change marriage one bit, all 1049 federal rights are still intact, it does not force straight people to marry gays, it does not force churches to marry gays. And since us gays are tax payers too, do we not deserve the same rights, the same priveleges? My being married to my spouse of 36 years does not change any of my neighbors marriages one bit, whether they know we are married or not.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
So you agree that however a State defines marriage the Federal government needs to grant the benefits that marriage provides and DOMA was unconstitutional
DOMA was indeed unconstitutional. The Constitution grants the Congress no authority to pass any law regarding marriage.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I commend your honesty.
Precisely. No one in their right mind aims to take a right-winger and turn them into a caring, compassionate liberal, just like no one in their right mind aims to take a bleeding-heart liberal and turn them into a callous and reactionary right-winger. The aim of liberal advocacy, rather, is to highlight the literally antisocial nature of right-wing perspectives, underscore the differences between it and the alternative, so that those who are undecided or wavering can determine which approach they want to support.

Quote:
Probably. It won't change my mind though. Which is all that matters to me.
Truly: No one (here) cares about what it is in your mind. All that matters to the public arena is how you behave in the public arena. As long as your proclivities aren't turned into bigotry (such as creating a hostile work or retail environment for same-sex couples) or hatred (actively working to codify or defend institutionalized bigotry), then it is not any of the public's business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
DOMA was indeed unconstitutional. The Constitution grants the Congress no authority to pass any law regarding marriage.
DOMA was overturned by the SCOTUS on Fifth Amendment grounds, not Tenth Amendment grounds.
"By seeking to displace this protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment."
Other jurisdictions toyed with your legal logic (as a matter of fact, it was part of the original arguments in favor of DOMA), but the Law of the Land came down explicitly with regard to the Fifth Amendment.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Legal issues, TexasReb, are not decided by votes. This is SCOTUS turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies