Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the South and West Be Given Great Lakes Water?
Yes 2 9.09%
No 20 90.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I was just watching a very interesting segment on the Weather Channel about how the eight Great Lakes states (NY, PA, OH, MI, IN, IL, MN, and WI) along with parts of Canada are brainstorming to help protect their already dropping lake levels from being abused by outside influences. Many of us here in the North are worried that rapidly growing Sunbelt areas like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, etc. may attempt to put a huge "straw" of sorts into the Great Lakes and start sucking them dry. The economies of many cities in the region (Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Toledo, Erie, Duluth, etc. come to mind) have historically relied on lake transport and some still do today. If these already dissipating lake levels start faltering even more rapidly because someone in Phoenix wants to water their fake lawn, this could have disastrous consequences for the Great Lakes states.

What do others think should come of this issue? I'm 100% opposed to ANYONE outside of the Great Lakes states tapping OUR water supply and putting us in economic hardship or even a greater risk of future drought ourselves. People knew they were moving into deserts and/or drought-plagued areas when they purchased homes there. Why should we bail them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:10 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I'm 100% opposed to ANYONE outside of the Great Lakes states tapping OUR water supply and putting us in economic hardship or even a greater risk of future drought ourselves. People knew they were moving into deserts and/or drought-plagued areas when they purchased homes there. Why should we bail them out?
I have no problem with Great Lake states using the water that is needed from the lakes. However. it needs to stop there. While we have alot of water from the lakes, and many fresh water springs, I think that it would only be a matter of time before we are in the same position. We need to keep what natural resources we have.

Here in Michigan we have not had the normal amount of snow (precipitation) that we normally do. Our small lake levels are low. Not alot to spare.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 AM

366 posts, read 1,017,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
I have no problem with Great Lake states using the water that is needed from the lakes. However. it needs to stop there. While we have alot of water from the lakes, and many fresh water springs, I think that it would only be a matter of time before we are in the same position. We need to keep what natural resources we have.

Here in Michigan we have not had the normal amount of snow (precipitation) that we normally do. Our small lake levels are low. Not alot to spare.
I don't live in a Great Lakes state anymore, but lived in the Cleveland area till I was 21 and I agree that we should not use water from the lakes to service other states. In addition to the issues already mentioned I think it would also increase tensions with Canada since they have Great Lakes coastline on all of the lakes except Michigan.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
If the rest of the country needs the water, the federal government will take it, no matter what the states want.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default move

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
If the rest of the country needs the water, the federal government will take it, no matter what the states want.
We can't just take it. You forget most of those lake also boarder Canada. It would be a international issue. And judging by the from what I read the Canadian ain't going to let that happen.

So if you don't like having water. Move to where the water is.

Pulled this from the Michigan forum.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...ater_problems/

Old 01-13-2008, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Yes -- in exchange for oil.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Please, don't stress

I can assure you that AZ and NV will not be tapping into the Great Lakes -

We have a much larger water supply available - and, it is much closer.

It is called the Pacific Ocean

Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Greatday has it right, if we need water in the west we can and will tap it from the Pacific (watch China and Russia file a UN grievance).

Water is a significant resource making the upper midwest attractive for businesses and living. Those states need to make better use of this asset. Ever see Cleveland's lakefront? Talk about wasting an asset.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Greatday has it right, if we need water in the west we can and will tap it from the Pacific (watch China and Russia file a UN grievance).

Water is a significant resource making the upper midwest attractive for businesses and living. Those states need to make better use of this asset. Ever see Cleveland's lakefront? Talk about wasting an asset.
Tampa attempted to put online the largest desalination plant in the western hemisphere and as far as I know, it still isn't fully operational. Although much of their problems have been due to Zebra Mussels (if I remember correctly) there have also been problems with the reverse osmosis membranes.

Desalinization is definitely a technology we need to pursue, but right now it is still very expensive, sucks up a lot of energy, and requires a great deal of maintenance.

It should be a telling thing that the United States has about 1/4 (1/5th in the Great Lakes alone) of the worlds fresh water supply, we make up 5% of the global population and we are running out of water. Talk about massive over consumption without regard to long term issues.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
I stated in a water shortage thread, we need to be building desalinization plans on all our coasts, however when you look at the greatest migration of people in the U.S, it is northerners moving south, so , sure let them take some of their water, lets be real, the great lakes will never run dry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies