Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,459,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I believe the views you express are shared by the overwhelming majority of people who vote for Democrats.
I believe it too, and since the views that were expressed contained nothing but rhetoric, it's a sad comment on the modern liberal mindset. The emphasis on ideology over reality in today's Democrat Party is dangerous. It leads to supporting policies that don't work because the idea of them becomes more important than the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I think middle aged mom nails it.
I went back and edited for guns.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You can't effectively run a local government on ideology. Local politicians have to make real decisions that almost immediately affect people's lives and they'll lose their jobs if they can't actually govern. How well could someone run a city based on limiting abortion, rolling back civil rights, tax breaks for the wealthy, and declaring war on Shelbyville?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,880,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I think middle aged mom nails it.
Phrasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't think you can fairly say that. To fairly say it, you'd have to back up why you're saying it. Political rhetoric doesn't count. What counts are actual policies that somehow benefit the rich while hurting the middle class. I have seen zero such policies. All I see for how much Republicans love the rich is left wingers claiming it is so, and then having nothing substantive to back the claim up.
Reasoning behind that statement is the kind of tax structures many national Republican politicians have supported: favoring of capital income over labor income and fighting harder for cuts to the top tax brackets than they fight for cuts to the middle tax brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You can't effectively run a local government on ideology. Local politicians have to make real decisions that almost immediately affect people's lives and they'll lose their jobs if they can't actually govern. How well could someone run a city based on limiting abortion, rolling back civil rights, tax breaks for the wealthy, and declaring war on Shelbyville?
True. Local politics is far more about the individual and their competence and lack of corruption than it is about party or ideology.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I believe it too, and since the views that were expressed contained nothing but rhetoric, it's a sad comment on the modern liberal mindset. The emphasis on ideology over reality in today's Democrat Party is dangerous. It leads to supporting policies that don't work because the idea of them becomes more important than the results.
Your comment is quite ironic, considering your extreme partisanship. I do believe you are acutely unaware of it.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,918,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Here's a question for Democrats. Are there things about the Republican Party that appeal to you? Are their certain candidates, ideas or wings of the GOP that you could see yourself supporting if it only weren't for the other aspects of the party that repel you?

I started this thread in part as a spin off to the thread about the GOP's stance on the gay marriage. Are there are other issues in the GOP that keep you from voting Republican even though you could see yourself doing so if these obstacles were removed?

I hope this leads to a serious discussion and doesn't devolve into an opportunity to score cheap points on the GOP (plenty of other threads for that.)
Although most politicians lie, it's the hypocrisy of the GOP that turns me off the most. I mean, they are continually talking about "big" government interfering with our lives, but when it comes to individual responsibility, they want to force their religious beliefs on women under the guise of "Family Values."

I just don't believe a Republican can win without catering to the extreme right which is why I can't name the issues we agree on, since they don't matter. In the end, a Republican who is willing to work harmoniously with Democrats and agrees to compromise can't win the support of the party.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,918,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am independent. There is nothing about either party that particularly appeals to me. I don't see much difference in party beyond the manufactured hype.

I tend to vote against a nominee or position more so than I vote for a nominee/position. Healthcare was the exception yet I would not have been devastated if Romney had won.

Only thing certain is that I will not vote for Hillary in 2016. The " it's about time ( for a woman)" meme did/does not sit well with me. I will not vote for someone who runs on a platform of killing the ACA without a viable replacement.

Regardless of who wins in 2016, the masses of undocumented people will not be deported, employers will not be punished for hiring undocumented workers, abortion will remain legal, the economy will do what it will do, bubbles will come and go, controversial EOs will be signed, people will keep their guns, crap will happen beyond the control of POTUS, pork will be stuffed in most bills, the federal debt will grow and cans will continue to be kicked.
I have a lot of the same feelings about the 2 parties. I really don't want another Clinton or Bush in the White House. I will, however, vote for Hillary Clinton if she's the best candidate. Right now, it's too early to know.

RE: Undocumented workers, President Obama has always worked to combat the hiring of undocumented immigrants, Social Security and Medicare fraud and tax evasion. In fact, deportation is up 80% over the past 6 years. However, I do agree it will continue to be a problem no matter who is in the White House. Still, we are a nation of immigrants, and allowing good, hard-working families who can make a contribution to society stay here (as long as they pay their fair share of taxes and have no criminal background) can only strengthen our economy in the long term.

RE: Abortion. Unfortunately, there's never been any compromise on this issue. The so-called "pro-life" people can't seem to understand the good that organizations like Planned Parenthood do, i.e., cancer screening, pregnancy testing, counseling and other health services. Only about 3% of their total services represent abortions. In fact, what most people don't realize is that Federal Law prohibits use of any Federal Funding for abortions. Shutting down clinics that help women isn't pro-life it's anti-women's rights.

RE: Guns. The 2nd Amendment has never been challenged by any Democrat I know. Gun Control is an entirely different issue. I've never met anyone who is against lawful gun ownership.

Yup, it will all still be there in 20 years.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 PM

62,846 posts, read 29,085,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I have a lot of the same feelings about the 2 parties. I really don't want another Clinton or Bush in the White House. I will, however, vote for Hillary Clinton if she's the best candidate. Right now, it's too early to know.

RE: Undocumented workers, President Obama has always worked to combat the hiring of undocumented immigrants, Social Security and Medicare fraud and tax evasion. In fact, deportation is up 80% over the past 6 years. However, I do agree it will continue to be a problem no matter who is in the White House. Still, we are a nation of immigrants, and allowing good, hard-working families who can make a contribution to society stay here (as long as they pay their fair share of taxes and have no criminal background) can only strengthen our economy in the long term.

RE: Abortion. Unfortunately, there's never been any compromise on this issue. The so-called "pro-life" people can't seem to understand the good that organizations like Planned Parenthood do, i.e., cancer screening, pregnancy testing, counseling and other health services. Only about 3% of their total services represent abortions. In fact, what most people don't realize is that Federal Law prohibits use of any Federal Funding for abortions. Shutting down clinics that help women isn't pro-life it's anti-women's rights.

RE: Guns. The 2nd Amendment has never been challenged by any Democrat I know. Gun Control is an entirely different issue. I've never met anyone who is against lawful gun ownership.

Yup, it will all still be there in 20 years.
No such thing as an undocumented worker. They are illegal aliens. It has been debunked over and over that Obama's supposed high deportation numbers were inflated even he himself admitted it. He was counting those turned around at the border and those aren't deportations. What difference does it make anyway since he allowing millions of them to remain here? His immigration enforcement record is dismal.

We haven't been a nation of illegal immigrants but a nation of legal immigrants. Learn to know the difference! We are no longer a nation of immigrants anyway. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population. Time to shed that stupid label because we are no different than any other nation that takes in immigrants today. We are a nation of Americans now!

No one has the right to come here without authorization whether they be hard working or not. They aren't contributing to our society they are taking much more out than they put in. Their social costs are thru the roof. Most of them are either working with fake or stolen ID's or getting paid under the table evading taxes which are felonies. So yes, they are criminals. If Americans were given back their jobs that illegal aliens are holding they in turn would be contributing to our economy and paying taxes. They have a right to work here. Illegals do not. Illegal aliens send billions out of our economy to their homelands which isn't spent in our economy. What about American families that are having to bear the brunt of illegal immigration via reduced wages, higher taxes and loss of jobs? Or don't they count?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,669,913 times
Like my extended family get togethers in here.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:24 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,763,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No such thing as an undocumented worker. They are illegal aliens. It has been debunked over and over that Obama's supposed high deportation numbers were inflated even he himself admitted it. He was counting those turned around at the border and those aren't deportations. What difference does it make anyway since he allowing millions of them to remain here? His immigration enforcement record is dismal.

We haven't been a nation of illegal immigrants but a nation of legal immigrants. Learn to know the difference! We are no longer a nation of immigrants anyway. Our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population. Time to shed that stupid label because we are no different than any other nation that takes in immigrants today. We are a nation of Americans now!

No one has the right to come here without authorization whether they be hard working or not. They aren't contributing to our society they are taking much more out than they put in. Their social costs are thru the roof. Most of them are either working with fake or stolen ID's or getting paid under the table evading taxes which are felonies. So yes, they are criminals. If Americans were given back their jobs that illegal aliens are holding they in turn would be contributing to our economy and paying taxes. They have a right to work here. Illegals do not. Illegal aliens send billions out of our economy to their homelands which isn't spent in our economy. What about American families that are having to bear the brunt of illegal immigration via reduced wages, higher taxes and loss of jobs? Or don't they count?
So mass deportation of everyone here illegally would help poor and middle class people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies