Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Arguing that people should be free to discriminate? Opposing the Civil Rights Act and even the 17th Amendment?

If you're somehow unaware of these... well then I don't think I can help you. Try Google.
Wow, so arguing people should be free to discriminate makes you a racist? Does arguing people should be free to smoke marijuana make you a stoner? Does arguing for gay rights make you gay?

Do you believe people should be allowed to discriminate in the private sector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Libertarians think that liberty is for all rational sentient beings.

Conservatives believe that black people are not rationally sentient beings.
I would've agreed with that statement several years ago.

But as soon as a black guy was elected President, it became impossible to distinguish between Libertarians and Conservatives based on that criteria.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM

It is actually liberals that think blacks ain't capable of taking care of themselves.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is actually liberals that think blacks ain't capable of taking care of themselves.
That is false. Though you knew that.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Speaking of deliberate misrepresentations...

Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Seriously? You're not aware of the fact that a huge chunk of Libertarians- including those on this site- are neoconfederates arguing in support of the slave-owning South? And themselves threatening secession movements? Arguing that people should be free to discriminate? Opposing the Civil Rights Act and even the 17th Amendment?

If you're somehow unaware of these... well then I don't think I can help you. Try Google.
Someone who isn't a libertarian calling themselves one does not define the philosophy or ideology of libertarianism.

Secession is not a racist action, it's a federalist action.

Arguing that people should be free to discriminate isn't racist, because we all discriminate all the time, countless times per day. Associations should be voluntary, not forced, and if someone chooses to not associate with someone, whatever their criteria happens to be is perfectly valid in a world of voluntary association. Discrimination is a process of selection and preference, and yes, you do it all the time whether you know or admit it. That's simply arguing for individual freedom and voluntaryism, and I am not sure why anyone would advocate against voluntary association or freedom.

Most folks who say they oppose the Civil Rights Act are not opposing that, but the Affirmative Action and various other "initiation of force" laws that followed it. I do not oppose the Civil Rights Act, but I firmly oppose the compulsory/force junk that followed it. Thing about that is, my opposition to compulsory/force laws has the backing of both the Civil Rights Act itself and the 14th Amendment, both of which classify the institutional racial discrimination inherent in those compulsion/force laws to be illegal. So the confused ideologue might think all of this begins BECAUSE of the CRA, but actually happens IN SPITE OF AND OPPOSED TO the CRA.

And the 17th Amendment should be opposed because the Senate was created to be the federal representation of the states, or more appropriately, the state governments. The House is the chamber of the people, the Senate is the chamber of the states. The 17th Amendment was a blow against federalism that marginalizes the sovereignty of the individual states. It should be opposed by anyone seeking decentralized, more federalist, responsive government.

And none of that is racist. To your other comment about libertarians supporting the ownership of slaves, I'll go ahead and let you provide me with proof of that. You can prove your accusation, and until you do, I hold libertarianism innocent of your scurrilous, hysterical, false charges.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
I think you mean "liberals think that people without money aren't capable of purchasing necessities for themselves", although why only liberals know that is beyond me.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The Constitution structured for a Libertarian nation.

Libertarians never get this.
I thought this was obvious.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Speaking of deliberate misrepresentations...
You are the champion at that.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:30 PM

752 posts, read 566,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
"Nations are governments with geographic and political borders. Governments produce nothing ..."
Governments represent the peak level of human cooperation. Cooperation almost always trumps individual effort. This largely accounts for Hamilton's vision (statist) supplanting Jefferson's ideal (libertarian). Even the most accomplished scientist in history, Isaac Newton, acknowledged that "if I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." As overwhelming as Newton's brilliance was, moreover, it wasn't unparalleled: Leibniz independently discovered calculus in the same period, and it is his notations that prevail today. Likewise, look at the technological progress achieved during WWII. The Manhattan Project alone was more expensive than all of the previous scientific undertakings in the history of the world combined. From 1940 to 1944, federal outlays climbed from 9.6% of GDP to 42.7%. GDP per capita grew by 56.8% and reached a level ($12,333 {1944}) surpassed only two decades later ($12,773 {1964}). Source: Maddison Project.

Quote:
"It's a Zen ideology, where perfection is unattainable, but the pursuit of perfection is preferable."
My (limited) understanding of Zen is that every moment is perfect, you just have to recognize it.

Last edited by drishmael; 03-17-2015 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies