Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 10:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They are they not similar, again go back to my previous posts about comparison.
Well I am sorry you are unable to see the similarities between different civil rights issues. One cannot make you see what you do not wish to see.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
They are they not similar, again go back to my previous posts about comparison.
It's a civil rights issue. You being black, you should be sympathetic to the unequal treatment of gays since you yourself are dealing with it.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No one is saying they are the same thing, all that is being done is the comparing of similarities. It would be no different than comparing the similarities of Woman's Rights with African American Rights.
Actually, some have said they are the same, but even if you stick to comparing similarities... it's like the similarities between a tricycle and an 18 wheeler or a swimming pool and an ocean. So different that comparisons are superficial.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
I am by no means a homophobic person but there are some issues that need to be addressed with the Gay community. I have no problem with people who say that gay rights is civil rights but please stop comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black American civil rights struggle because not all struggles are the same. Here's some things the Gay community needs to understand.

1. Black Americans paved the way for a lot of these minority groups(Gays, Hispanics, etc) to even have rights in this country. So please start showing some respect.

2. Stop expecting Blacks to automatically support your causes when Blacks are struggling to support their on causes. You can't a expect an oppressed group to help another minority group when we can barely help ourselves as a community.

3. Stop acting like racism doesn't exist in the homosexual community. Just because your gay doesn't mean you can't be racists or prejudice. Your sexuality preference has nothing to with your racial identity. Yeah, I know some of you don't want to here that but it's the cold hard truth.

4. It's very insulting to many African Americans when you say that homosexuals have suffered just as bad as Blacks have throughout American history. Of course we all know that is far from the truth.

I want to stress again that I don't hate homosexuals (just in case someone wants to defame my character) but this silliness when it comes to comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black rights struggle needs to stop. It's getting old and people are growing tired of it so please cut the crap!

If a homosexual could be as easily identified as a black person could, do you think the severity of oppression would have been closer historically?

Is the need to hide who and what you are to the world for your entire life less oppressive?

Gays for decades were unable to live with and love who they wanted to.

I don't believe black people even in their at most oppressed (post-emancipation) were ever unable to openly love whom they wished to.

Does one struggle have to be the bigger?

How about stop trying to compare apples and oranges?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Another problem that the Black community has is that we need to stop trying to align ourselves with other minority groups when it comes to helping their agenda. That has gotten the Black community nowhere as these other minority groups just use Blacks to push their agenda. Blacks need to first and foremost concentrate on improving their own community first because relying on other people has gotten us absolutely nowhere! As soon as most Blacks realized this the better off the community will be. I hope more Black Americans would wake up and see that no other group really gives a d**n about our community otherwise a lot of these core issues in the Black community would've been addressed already.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Actually, some have said they are the same, but even if you stick to comparing similarities... it's like the similarities between a tricycle and an 18 wheeler or a swimming pool and an ocean. So different that comparisons are superficial.
Yeah, not buying it. One can easily see similarities and with that, one can see why any civil rights issue should be treated the same because they are each important in their own way. We should not deny women their rights just because blacks had it worse.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
You will always have "tokens" in every community. For the black community particularly, it goes all the way back to slavery with the "House Negroes". Unfortunately we still have a lot of them today.
Wow, caring about other people, and their rights, is to be a "house negro"?
Seriously?

I bet you would have a different opinion of those who were not black that stood beside blacks in their fight.
Maybe they should have just worried about themselves and left the blacks to fight for their rights by themselves.

Some of us are able to help others while also working on our own causes.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
I am by no means a homophobic person but there are some issues that need to be addressed with the Gay community. I have no problem with people who say that gay rights is civil rights but please stop comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black American civil rights struggle because not all struggles are the same. Here's some things the Gay community needs to understand.

1. Black Americans paved the way for a lot of these minority groups(Gays, Hispanics, etc) to even have rights in this country. So please start showing some respect.
I was not aware that there was any problem with an large number of gay people not respecting the Black Americans civil rights struggle. This is new to me.

2. Stop expecting Blacks to automatically support your causes when Blacks are struggling to support their on causes. You can't a expect an oppressed group to help another minority group when we can barely help ourselves as a community.[/quote]

Well, some people will be able to extend themselves, but I would grant that movements as a whole probably tend to stay focused on their own issues. Furthermore, homophobia certainly exists among Black Americans and gay people can't reasonably expect that all Black Americans are sympathetic to their cause, even if they could or wanted to take time from their own cause.

3. Stop acting like racism doesn't exist in the homosexual community. Just because your gay doesn't mean you can't be racists or prejudice. Your sexuality preference has nothing to with your racial identity. Yeah, I know some of you don't want to here that but it's the cold hard truth. [/quote]

Racial intolerance and non-acceptance can be found everywhere in U.S. society, and gay people being members of that society can certainly be prejudiced...as can Black Americans.

However, my own experience in New York City in the Sixities through Nineties was that the gay social groups I was involved in always had Black and Hispanic members, and that the gay bars that I was familiar with had many Black and Hispanic customers.

On the other hand, those groups of white people whom I socialized with in NYC almost never included members of minorities, nor did the bars we went to often have more a handful of identifiable Black or Hispanic people. I found this particularly puzzling when one of these groups was composed of white, college-educated, avowedly liberal people in their mid-twenties....I could not imagine how you could live in NYC and not have at least a few Black and Hispanic friends.

So, in my experience there was far more racial and ethnic mixing among white gay people than among white heterosexuals in the same environment.

This was my particular experience, all of it in the borough of Manhattan, and possibly it does not reflect widely the experience of white gay people in other areas in those decades.

4. It's very insulting to many African Americans when you say that homosexuals have suffered just as bad as Blacks have throughout American history. Of course we all know that is far from the truth.

I agree it is a thoughtless remark, and bound to be provocative. There are points of similarity in various civil rights struggles and or histories of oppression, but the words "same" or "equal" are global concepts that simply do not apply. Period.

....[/quote]

Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Another problem that the Black community has is that we need to stop trying to align ourselves with other minority groups when it comes to helping their agenda. That has gotten the Black community nowhere as these other minority groups just use Blacks to push their agenda. Blacks need to first and foremost concentrate on improving their own community first because relying on other people has gotten us absolutely nowhere! As soon as most Blacks realized this the better off the community will be. I hope more Black Americans would wake up and see that no other group really gives a d**n about our community otherwise a lot of these core issues in the Black community would've been addressed already.
Oh, really?
Blacks would have gotten nowhere without white allies.
Helping others, especially when you have been oppressed yourself seems like the right thing to do...unless you're you, I guess.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Wow, caring about other people, and their rights, is to be a "house negro"?
Seriously?
It's a deeply layered term in the context that I used it and it will most likely fly over most people's heads.

Quote:
I bet you would have a different opinion of those who were not black that stood beside blacks in their fight. Maybe they should have just worried about themselves and left the blacks to fight for their rights by themselves.
Anyone can march or protest. Non-Blacks marched for the "Black lives matter" but what did that accomplish on the big picture? Absolutely nothing!

Quote:
Some of us are able to help others while also working on our own causes.
Well apparently that hasn't been working out to well for the black community. Blacks need to start focusing on their own issues and stop waiting around for other groups to pull us up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies